• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2021 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Stormlover74

A quick note: Have seen some f the modeling for a big storm VA's/Delmarva se NJ/e LI. No topic-thread from me yet, until at least 4P today pending review of multiple 12z/23 ensembles and WPC outlook.  This is the overnight outlook for the 28th into early 29th... we're on the fringe of the outlook, which looks reasonable to me in light of all the other guidance so far. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 6.48.01 AM.png

The next 8 days are averaging 31degs.(27/34).            Making it 26degs., or -6.0.

No comment on snow till a given model can be produce two consecutive/coherent outputs that are the same and models agree with each other.        Use meso limit of 84 hrs. and 48hrs., it's peak performance range.   Best>>>>>>>Tune in Wed. AM.

29* (40%RH) here at 6am. [37* at Midnite]       28* at 8am.   29* at 9am.        31*/32*  Noon to 2pm.         25* by 9pm.

8 hours ago, jm1220 said:

You think that's bad? Syracuse is at 29" of snow for the season, normally by now they have 67". They're getting maybe 6" of lake effect tonight though but they're in a deep hole. Binghamton an hour drive or so south of them is at 60" because of the crazy snow band from the 12/17 storm. :lol:

Yeah, record south based blocking and warmth will do that. Pretty impressive how the blocking has gotten stuck east of New England and the Canadian Maritimes since the summer. Those record warm SSTs east of the Maritimes and New England have been pretty extreme.

92E00AC4-9147-4C42-A69C-8626CF95B767.gif.8d837da5c5e76e4d441015657693cf9a.gif

0E6FA920-C998-41F0-B834-31EF4CD9246F.gif.3ed17274cce958a8b9266dc20f483cf1.gif

64B0E127-EC51-4381-AA27-EAD4E4176A0C.png.e9a704e3361cdc51f5135ca66d29b294.png

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, record south based blocking and warmth will do that. Pretty impressive how the blocking has gotten stuck east of New England and the Canadian Maritimes since the summer. Those record warm SSTs east of the Maritimes and New England have been pretty extreme.

92E00AC4-9147-4C42-A69C-8626CF95B767.gif.8d837da5c5e76e4d441015657693cf9a.gif

0E6FA920-C998-41F0-B834-31EF4CD9246F.gif.3ed17274cce958a8b9266dc20f483cf1.gif

64B0E127-EC51-4381-AA27-EAD4E4176A0C.png.e9a704e3361cdc51f5135ca66d29b294.png

The new outlook from the CPC going with a warm start to February. Also, North American snowcover is the lowest it’s ever been in over 15 years..... 814temp.new.gif

I hate to say it but the south based NAO is what did us in. We had a positive PNA first half of Jan and the NAO killed our chances. Then we had a negative EPO with cold air and instead of overrunning events the south based NAO is shredding the events. We need the NAO to move North. Will be interesting to see if the MA ends up with more snow than us.

The polar vortex is taking another hit. This is bad as it will reinforce the negative NAO. What I do not understand is why it's stuck in a south based location.

I may end up with less snow than last year!!!! Would be the first back to back ratter for as long as I have been tracking weather.

March is always a wildcard so we shall see.

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I hate to say it but the south based NAO is what did us in. We had a positive PNA first half of Jan and the NAO killed our chances. Then we had a negative EPO with cold air and instead of overrunning events the south based NAO is shredding the events. We need the NAO to move North. Will be interesting to see if the MA ends up with more snow than us.

The polar vortex is taking another hit. This is bad as it will reinforce the negative NAO. What I do not understand is why it's stuck in a south based location.

I may end up with less snow than last year!!!! Would be the first back to back ratter for as long as I have been tracking weather.

March is always a wildcard so we shall see.

The exceptionally warm SSTs may have played a role in influencing the position of the block.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The exceptionally warm SSTs may have played a role in influencing the position of the block.

Thanks Don.

If global warming is to blame (not saying it is but IF), it's amazing how all global warming effects are working against us. 

Hadley Cell

Indian ocean temps

Atlantic SSTs

Extreme Jet (not sure if Hadley Cell is causing this)

Pretty remarkable nothing so far has helped us

Just now, bluewave said:

There is something that may work. We get back to a cutter pattern in early February. While it’s milder for us, it would keep the chance of wave breaks and the south based block going. If we could hold the -AO into late February or March, then perhaps the wavelength changes could work out for us. But at this point, this remains a big IF.

I think the snowstorm of Jan 2012 is a great example if I am not mistaken. In a sea of warmth we got a moderate to heavy snow even from a "trailing wave" which followed a cutter I believe. 

16 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Thanks Don.

If global warming is to blame (not saying it is but IF), it's amazing how all global warming effects are working against us. 

Hadley Cell

Indian ocean temps

Atlantic SSTs

Extreme Jet (not sure if Hadley Cell is causing this)

Pretty remarkable nothing so far has helped us

It’s definitely having an impact. At the regional scale, not all of its impacts are evident. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

The amplified MJO 6-7 into early February will be mild with continued ridging over the Northeast. But it’s possible that this could offer some improvements later on. We will have to wait see.

B125B721-B91B-46C9-B427-9E3253F47C21.gif.7aa8c5335019ed6d82dbc9a778bd332e.gif

I’m not sold the amplitude is enough to matter.  Also the GEPS and GEFS the last few runs are trying to show more of western ridge/eastern trof pattern after 2/4, the GEPS more so and both have shown the block moving a bit more northeast too