• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Stormlover74

Following yesterday's system that brought rain and snow to parts of the region, a quieter pattern has now settled in. Through Friday, partly to mostly sunny and milder than normal conditions will likely prevail.

The likely continuation of Arctic blocking through at least January 15 would typically provide a higher than climatological probability for above normal snowfall. Ideally, an expansive block would be anchored across the Baffin Bay or Greenland, not south of the Davis Strait.

Blocks that are anchored near Newfoundland and Labrador can inhibit opportunities for snowfall and result in warmer to much warmer than normal conditions in the Middle Atlantic and southern New England regions. This is now the most likely scenario for much of the first half of January. Under this scenario, the first 10-15 days of January will likely be much warmer than normal across the northeastern United States, Quebec, and much of eastern Canada. After January 10, the EPS continues to show a possible transition that could lead to a trough's moving into the East.

Arctic air will likely shift mainly to Eurasia. However, the evolving pattern could be sufficiently cold to afford opportunities for snowfall if the pattern evolves as currently shown on the EPS. It remains possible that the pattern evolution could lead to a multiweek period with higher than climatological potential for snowfall.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -1.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -1.2°C for the week centered around December 30. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.80°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -1.10°C. La Niña conditions will likely prevail at least through the winter.

The SOI was +25.40 today.

Today, the preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) figure was -2.711.

On January 3 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 0.754 (RMM). The January 2-adjusted amplitude was 0.692.

A significant stratospheric warming event is underway. The mean zonal winds has reversed at 1 mb and will likely reverse at 10 mb and possibly 30 mb. In the wake of this warming event, the polar vortex will likely split. The dominant piece will, as is typical with such events, migrate to Eurasia.

The significant December 16-17 snowstorm during what has been a blocky December suggests that seasonal snowfall prospects have increased especially from north of Philadelphia into southern New England. At New York City, there is a high probability based on historic cases that an additional 20" or more snow will accumulate after December. Were blocking to disappear, snowfall prospects would diminish. For now, blocking appears likely to continue through at least the first half of January.

• Like 2

The next 8 days are averaging 34degs.(30/38).        Making it 29degs., or -4.0.

GFS(06Z) has no precipitation at all till day 16.       The T falls off the cliff starting the 18th.       EURO no precipitation either.      CMC keeping the 13th. alive for some snow.

The 12Z CMC has given up the Snow Ghost of Jan. 12,13 and it now is haunting the 12Z EURO.        Nice work boys.

40* (72%RH)here at 6am, mod. overcast.     Up from 39* at 2am.      42* by 10am.     44* briefly at 10:30am.        41* at Noon.

17 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Eric hyping another long-range -EPO....he did this back in November, hyped a huge -EPO period coming for December which of course never actually verified....none of the advertised long-range -EPO periods on the models have verified for years now. The last 3 winters in a row have had the models popping phantom negative EPO’s in the long-range, only to have them disappear and never verify. Fail after fail. I’ll believe it when it actually happens in real time, not fantasy on a long-range model. People continue to be fooled by the same mirage over and over. Can I see a +PNA period? Sure. +PNA is believable, but -EPO? I have very, very serious doubts

• Like 1

Morning thoughts...

Today will become partly sunny. It will be milder than normal. Temperatures will likely reach the lower 40s across much of the region. Likely high temperatures include:

New York City (Central Park): 41°
Newark: 42°
Philadelphia: 43°

The quiet weather pattern will continue at least through Friday.

30 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Eric hyping another long-range -EPO....he did this back in November, hyped a huge -EPO period coming for December which of course never actually verified....none of the advertised long-range -EPO periods on the models have verified for years now. The last 3 winters in a row have had the models popping phantom negative EPO’s in the long-range, only to have them disappear and never verify. Fail after fail. I’ll believe it when it actually happens in real time, not fantasy on a long-range model. People continue to be fooled by the same mirage over and over. Can I see a +PNA period? Sure. +PNA is believable, but -EPO? I have very, very serious doubts

The ensembles are also showing the negative epo.  It might not be fantasy. 

43 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The only thing we can say about the day 10 to 5 EPS corrections is that the Davis Strait blocking is weaker and the +PNA is stronger. 

New run

87F00D3B-5493-4A51-84D2-B16951767EBE.thumb.png.99a926ad41bfb39f8e6763894cc8eb87.png

Old run

1ECFA6E5-021F-413E-9FAD-EC300A6E2CE6.thumb.png.85f3e367b72705529167293cf31d95ff.png

Bolds well for a coastal storm up the coast.  This weekend's  storm is toast for up here.

54 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

kind of reminds me of the phantom -NAO the models showed the past 4-5 yrs.  Only ones that really verified was March 2018 and the one now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

You’re trying to hard lol. It’s happening this month. We will have the -epo/+pna/-ao/-nao it’s a deadly combo for snow and cold. The SSW happen yesterday which will seal the deal on January. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The only thing we can say about the day 10 to 5 EPS corrections is that the Davis Strait blocking is weaker and the +PNA is stronger. 

New run

87F00D3B-5493-4A51-84D2-B16951767EBE.thumb.png.99a926ad41bfb39f8e6763894cc8eb87.png

Old run

1ECFA6E5-021F-413E-9FAD-EC300A6E2CE6.thumb.png.85f3e367b72705529167293cf31d95ff.png

It’s finally nice to look a models and not worry about cutters and warmth. We have finally broken the pattern of the pass two winters. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

You’re trying to hard lol. It’s happening this month. We will have the -epo/+pna/-ao/-nao it’s a deadly combo for snow and cold. The SSW happen yesterday which will seal the deal on January. 

Its going to get brutally cold as we head later in January. 

59 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

When was the last time we had a good pattern that the models are showing ? 2018?