• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec (Edit: Jan1/..2 ) multi-faceted ptype mess potential...

Typhoon Tip

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I think we will stay mostly snow. No scientific basis for that, just it looks like the models are getting colder each run for us. Still a long ways to go before go-time. The Wed/Thu stuff is more interesting too. Decent chance of 3-7" on the ground before this other thing even starts.

I actually have a good feeling about this one too. Not that that means anything! :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

What's it looking like for timing and details a few miles SE of Lake Winni? 

prob starts around midnight friday night give or take a couple hours...might be 2 or 3 inches there? Hard to say...mid-levels warm quick, but sfc stays cold. Def some sleet and ZR in there. 

56 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

prob starts around midnight friday night give or take a couple hours...might be 2 or 3 inches there? Hard to say...mid-levels warm quick, but sfc stays cold. Def some sleet and ZR in there. 

Thanks for taking the time... I know it's lazy to ask. I just don't know a thing about that area. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

3k NAM spitting out an inch of liquid here before the main storm even starts. Says I would have 8-9" OTG before a lull on Friday.

Hope it's right.

It vastly over does QPF in its mountain grids sometimes.  Almost like it mistakes rime or some sort of QPF trigger in the algorithm.

The synoptic set up doesn’t support these values... MVL here isn’t getting 0.40+ water and the mountain 1+... MWN isn’t getting 2”+ QPF. Especially with such a sharp drop off around all precip maximums.  You’ll see that a lot with the 3km NAM.  You gotta average the highs and lows but often it’s a flaw in the model for the high QPF dots over the mountain grid points.

4027B242-DC62-45D7-B072-79C69DA616FF.thumb.png.03ee0a92fae0a18c65331b36aeb78d7a.png

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

3k NAM spitting out an inch of liquid here before the main storm even starts. Says I would have 8-9" OTG before a lull on Friday.

Hope it's right.

You should be OK up there but now it’s almost time for the NAM to start spitting out warmer and warmer mid-level intrusions,  that SNE weenies will convince themselves is over done or wrong. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

It vastly over does QPF in its mountain grids sometimes.  Almost like it mistakes rime or some sort of QPF trigger in the algorithm.

The synoptic set up doesn’t support these values... MVL here isn’t getting 0.40+ water and the mountain 1+... MWN isn’t getting 2”+ QPF. Especially with such a sharp drop off around all precip maximums.  You’ll see that a lot with the 3km NAM.  You gotta average the highs and lows but often it’s a flaw in the model for the high QPF dots over the mountain grid points.

4027B242-DC62-45D7-B072-79C69DA616FF.thumb.png.03ee0a92fae0a18c65331b36aeb78d7a.png

Yep, I have noticed it often goes nuts with this. Seen it several times already. The other mesos are around .30" liquid, which is more reasonable. But I can still hope the 3k has this figured out. LOL

A solid 2-4" before the main show would be awesome.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Damn, Euro is colder than the NAM? Must be pretty good for up here.

Yeah euro was snowier up there than 12z run. It’s not super different from 00z NAM up there...but down here it was. Euro had a period of snow down here while NAM is mostly sleet at the onset after maybe a couple flakes. 

You’d still prob change to some sleet or ZR near the end but not before most of the precip thumps you as snow. It’s not a very prolific system (prob advisory type snows from the synoptic precip) but it beats rain. Lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah euro was snowier up there than 12z run. It’s not super different from 00z NAM up there...but down here it was. Euro had a period of snow down here while NAM is mostly sleet at the onset after maybe a couple flakes. 

You’d still prob change to some sleet or ZR near the end but not before most of the precip thumps you as snow. It’s not a very prolific system (prob advisory type snows from the synoptic precip) but it beats rain. Lol. 

Thanks. I still feel pretty good about 6"+ between the initial 2-3", the main storm, and then some upslope fluff on top.

Acknowledge runs coming in a degree or two colder over last couple of cycles… But this was still never going to be about snow in Southern New England and probably not even up to Manchester New Hampshire just keep that in mind - mix/ice. But typically these things do start out with aggregates for at least a small while

I’ve seen IP columns be 10,000 feet deep

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Thanks. I still feel pretty good about 6"+ between the initial 2-3", the main storm, and then some upslope fluff on top.

Yeah I’m sure you’ll breach 6” when you add in the upslope stuff. The synoptic stuff is good base-builder though even if it’s only 3 or 4 inches. It’s denser, especially if it’s borderline sleet or changes to sleet.  

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Didn't look too bad up there. 3-5" or so and then a little mix/DZ before ending. Pretty typical of these things.

Yeah, I was just flipping through TT quickly on my phone but comparing to 18z now it really isn’t any different.  The front piece on Wed/Thu is starting to look like it could be a bigger deal than the Fri/Sat thing if current trends continue. 

• Like 1