• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec (Edit: Jan1/..2 ) multi-faceted ptype mess potential...

Typhoon Tip

The later arrival of precip is what killed this for pike area ..given we already knew the airmass was what it was . The precip needed to arrive with the high pressure North or even NNE of Maine . Not some weak sauce high East of Maine a day later 

That’s why I questioned the title date of the thread , 31’st ? Things changed and the later start moved the frozen line North 

I've mostly agreed with Scott on this threat....meh for SNE but there was an outside chance that interior spots like ORH to the berks could see something more interesting.

Euro has never looked good for this icing threat in SNE....which is why I haven't really posted much on it. We saw some other guidance toy with the idea of a more impactful event, but they have trended toward the Euro (kind of predictably IMHO). Still have to watch for a few hours of glaze over the interior....even a little glaze can be a hazard. But outside of that, I don't see much. You'll have to go much further north to get some accumulating snow that breaches advisory threshold.

27 minutes ago, dryslot said:

To bad the 12z ggem could not score one for once, Dam cold for the 01/02 event.

Yeah... if no one minds... I'd like to swap the title to be Jan1/2 ...this has morphed in timing to be smeared in favor of NYD and over night into Saturday morning, so we should reflect that -

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah... if no one minds... I'd like to swap the title to be Jan1/2 ...this has morphed in timing to be smeared in favor of NYD and over night into Saturday morning, so we should reflect that -

I see no issue with it, Would be better seeing this is now pushed out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, White Rain said:

Was assuming sleet would be included in snowfall clown for this, but wasn’t thinking ice. Makes sense it would skew both however. 

Depends on the algorithm used to create the clown map. Some do all precip below 32 degrees as 10:1 snow. Even sleet in a Kuchera map is not going to be perfect. You would need temps aloft pushing 5C to get Kuchera down to a 2:1 sleet ratio.

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Depends on the algorithm used to create the clown map. Some do all precip below 32 degrees as 10:1 snow. Even sleet in a Kuchera map is not going to be perfect. You would need temps aloft pushing 5C to get Kuchera down to a 2:1 sleet ratio.

I noticed on Pivotal that the snow totals took a decent jump here after the ptype algorithm had already flipped it to IP...was a red flag for me when I saw the big 10:1 numbers.

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Pure sleet that one can shovel, meaning w/o ZR mixing in, has for me always melted out very close to 3:1, similar to snowmaking product.  A situation like the Fort Kent ice storm in mid-December 1983 was different.  At the end of that event, our yard had a 3" crust (atop a solid 24" pack) consisted of a 1/2" layer of clear ice sandwiched between 1.25" layers of ZR-welded IP.  It was very difficult to get a core (had to somehow have the tube I use melt its way thru) and it came to 1.9".  Thus the 2.5" of IP-stuff had 1.4" LE for slightly less than 2:1.  (And with one half-decent snowfall on it, that crust would hold a running bull moose.)  

11 minutes ago, alex said:

They have rain even for us! 

I think we will stay mostly snow. No scientific basis for that, just it looks like the models are getting colder each run for us. Still a long ways to go before go-time. The Wed/Thu stuff is more interesting too. Decent chance of 3-7" on the ground before this other thing even starts.

• Like 1