• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec (Edit: Jan1/..2 ) multi-faceted ptype mess potential...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Nah mostly a GFS reference how some say its too warm and others too cold. Carry on wx forecasting might be the toughest job in these situations. 

I get to light the fuse and run on Thursday afternoon, so it won't be my problem.

Ensemble sensitivity shows a tough pattern. It could be interpreted as both a position error (mainly due to timing) or a strength error (in the vicinity of CHH). Gut feeling is that if you lower the pressure significantly near CHH, you lock the cold across the interior.

• Like 1

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I get to light the fuse and run on Thursday afternoon, so it won't be my problem.

Ensemble sensitivity shows a tough pattern. It could be interpreted as both a position error (mainly due to timing) or a strength error (in the vicinity of CHH). Gut feeling is that if you lower the pressure significantly near CHH, you lock the cold across the interior.

Don't start something you can't finish............:)

If we lose the high pressure to the N .. game over.

It's a bit unusual to be 4.5 days out and still needing to iron out the larger scaled synoptic/governing features, but such is life in a fast and flat furious Pac dominated flow. I mean, relaying waves off the open expanse of the assimilated lands of dragons and wizards and in a velocity rich hemisphere, the shortening of the typical 3-day window is reducing to just 2 days to make up one's mind.  Lord! ...thank that agency for the better assimilation techniques or this would be bad night at Vegas

But, this GFS run is moving the erstwhile high pressure that was N of Maine on guidance yesterday, more to NE of Maine by early Friday, ...and we'll still probably have generated a tuck jet/on-going from the present run's configuration, but any more longitude with that +PP and said jet starts weakening and we go the in situ route and use up cold fast. 

Thing is... it's still unusual for lows to defeat planetary jet constructs/confluence across S-SE Canada... and that is what this is doing.. It's phasing the roll-out S/W ridging from the vestigial S /stream as it rides up the ridge, with the NVA/ ... and that's like engineering how to do the unlikely - f'n model.. .I swear sometimes I wonder if the modelers purposefully parameterize the GFS to run and prove quantum mechanic outre realm of duality -

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

We have heard that for 15 years lol. The thick skinned ones never leave. If you dish it out you better take it. Big boy and girls stay and fight 

But why does it have to be that way? That the thick skinned one stay? I don’t understand your reasoning.  THere are lots of good Mets who probably don’t post here for that reason.. #allmetsmatter

I'm not sure what my opinion of V16 is ... I've heard some floated rumors that it's verification/scoring is besting the current operational variant - as well as other models too.. But where?  What sigma level/metrics ??  ...I mean, is through the whole troposphere ...? or just in the 500 mb ongoing cinema -

I will say I like the 12z V16's entrenched cold look as being more realistic for just knowing how cold air is heavier and any positive soundings will tend to stay that way - duh...

That looks like brief snow to bee-bees and glazing in interior SNE probably down into N CT ... and looking at the meso-beta low down there near CHH/Cape.. combined with a clear dam in the PP NW of there.. .that thing is going to end that way, too - period. 

Seems we go through this doubt shit every time this sets up ... It's really no different in/when wondering if that BD in April is actually going to come down and bargaining all these rationalities why it won't  - how does that end for you ?

But ...as I said last hour.. if the high moves off more so than these GFS members have it... that's a different ball game

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro still pretty meh in the icing in SNE. Maybe some glaze near Dave? It’s warm.

Still letting the high slip too far east. Regardless, it's a pretty quick shot of precip, typical of a swfe. Gonna be hard to get big icing over big area. Maybe a narrow area gets a decent icing event, but were not talking about a ton of qpf

Just now, wx2fish said:

Still letting the high slip too far east. Regardless, it's a pretty quick shot of precip, typical of a swfe. Gonna be hard to get big icing over big area. Maybe a narrow area gets a decent icing event, but were not talking about a ton of qpf

It definitely was quick. Meanwhile claws on the deck for us on Saturday.