Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

33 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I would actually like to view some of your work.....how would I do about doing that?

I just disagree that the NAO is more harmful than it is helpful at this latitude....NNE, sure...no argument. But I still feel that in SNE, you want it more often than not. But a huge trough on the west coast can make a lot of otherwise favorable set ups look bad.

Ah ..thanks ..I appreciate it but honestly Ray, I am not sure it's really in the ilk of interest of this social media's schtick  - lol... 

I did pen a novel .. It's a marriage of Biology, Solid State Physics, that emerges A.I. inadvertently.  Even dips the reader toes into spiritualism ..morality of having done so..etc.  I never carried any grand delusions for having done so frankly. Truth be told it's not so glamorous as 1922 - any tom dick and harry's mother can self-publish ( altho mine was picked up by a pub. house).  ... literature as a thing is saturated - there's thousands out there with 10 novels published, regularly contributing to syndicated columns ... and guest panel on creative teams for television and cinema. No one knows them or likely will. It's that watered down. But whatever ...I just didn't want to be 78 with a couple of marbles left rollin' around wishing I had done something.  From private PMs to emails at work, to that perfect 2.8 beers into quaff lucidity that triggers fluid flows of consciousness sidled up to a pub, people have said I should try.  heh...it is what is.

- here's an image of the cover .. it's over at Amazon and Barnes&Nobles..  My publisher wants me to write another one too - oy... I don't have these things ready to pop out like Pez. I was thinking about doing one called "Weather Diaries" ... sort of a mash up between Christinisms, the Cosmic Dildo meets with the western limbed misconceptualized -NAO apoplexy -

dom.jpg.492f4b3a05823d63aa482767511b3228.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ah ..thanks ..I appreciate it but honestly Ray, I am not sure it's really in the ilk of interest of this social media's schtick  - lol... 

I did pen a novel .. It's a marriage of Biology, Solid State Physics, that emerges A.I. inadvertently.  Even dips the reader toes into spiritualism ..morality of having done so..etc.  I never carried any grand delusions for having done so frankly. Truth be told it's not so glamorous as 1922 - any tom dick and harry's mother can self-publish.  ... literature as a thing is saturated - there's thousands out there with 10 novels published, regularly contributing to syndicate columns ... and guess paneling on creative teams or television and cinema. No one knows them or likely will. It's that watered down. But whatever ...I just didn't want to be 78 with a couple of marbles left rollin' around wishing I had done something.  From private PMs to emails at work, to that perfect 2.8 beers into quaff lucidity that triggers fluid flows of consciousness sidled up to a pub, people have said I should try.  heh...it is what is.

- here's an image of the cover .. it's over at Amazon and Barnes&Nobles..  My publisher wants me to write another one too - oy... I don't have these things ready to pop out like Pez. I was thinking about doing one called "Weather Diaries" ... sort of a mash up between Christinisms, the Cosmic Dildo meets with the western limber of the -NAO

dom.jpg.492f4b3a05823d63aa482767511b3228.jpg

:lol:

You can spin a yarn like no other, man....the tale about the flashing to a sheet of white at Fox Hall never gets old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

If blocking ends up further north we may be able to sneak a few in if it returns, Where we are right now, I have very little confidence we see anything, Storms that try to move NNE are getting shredded and shunted south, Other then maybe some clipper snows with a weak northern stream starved low, I don't see much happening.

put the sleds away after this wknd

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You can spin a yarn like no other, man....the tale about the flashing to a sheet of white at Fox Hall never gets old.

Both of you have a way with words, but Tip is at another level entirely.

Recently it seems that everyone on this forum has written a novel, although maybe its just James and Tip

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You can spin a yarn like no other, man....the tale about the flashing to a sheet of white at Fox Hall never get old.

You know ... I f'ed up when I wrote 'Dominion' ( above ..) 

First of all, I hate that title.  It was supposed to be "Dominia," after the dark goddess of Russian lore, but it was too obscure for the publisher's taste ...so it wound up with the other.  Thing is, there is already a goddamn Dominion in every f'n subgenre already and I didn't know that ...because I am shockingly and shamefully vanilla about Literary circles and art...  I don't give a shit frankly. I like writing - I don't like reading..  weird I know. 

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that Dominion isn't written 'that way,' like that passage that folks seem to respond positively to - I really want to write in that way, more often. But, Dominion was written sort of caught limbo between that scientific jargon and the description efforts/humanity and it makes it sort of a difficult read I suspect.  But, you know...I've read some books by well known authors ( I didn't say I don't read at all ) that I thought were were dry miserable wastes of my time but felt 200 pages in that I needed to see the investment through. Ironically...I may have cranked out one of these - I dunno...  But I I think 'Weather Diaries' would resonate more personably and entertaining... ah well. Live and learn

1 minute ago, Henry's Weather said:

Recently it seems that everyone on this forum has written a novel, although maybe its just James and Tip

Once I had the baby, I put a lot less effort into to trying to sound pretty and my posting style grew more concise. lol

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know ... I f'ed up when I wrote 'Dominion' ( above ..) 

First of all, I hate that title.  It was supposed to be "Dominia," after the dark goddess of Russian lore, but it was too obscure for the publisher's taste ...so it wound up with the other.  Thing is, there is already a goddamn Dominion in ever f'n subgenre already and I didn't know that ...because I am shockingly and shamefully vanilla about Literary circles and art...  I don't give a shit frankly. I like writing - I don't like reading..  weird I know. 

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that Dominion isn't written 'that way' as that passage that folks seem to respond positively to - I really want to write in that way, more often. But, Dominion was written sort of caught limbo between that scientific jargon and the description efforts/humanity and it makes it sort of a difficult read I suspect.  But, you know...I've read some books by well known authors ( I didn't say I don't read at all ) that I thought were were dry miserable wastes of my time but felt 200 pages in that I needed to see the investment through. Ironically...I may have cranked out one of these - I dunno...  But I I think 'Weather Diaries' would resonate more personably and entertaining... ah well. Live and learn

I think you should definitely work your passion for weather into your writing...it would probably only enhance it. Hell, every kid across America would be sleeping with the lights on out of hear of the killer Hadley Cell lol "No mom, the gradient saturation will eat me"

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Henry's Weather said:

Mm...I happen to like Ray's turn of phrase a lot actually.  I have thought to self at times, this is a person that could do this too if he wanted - you just need a creative idea, believe in it..start writing ..and it feeds itself - so to speak.  

It's really built into all humans - we are language processor units.  Dolphins...other whales... arguable, birds even ( now there's a real battle of wits! ), yeah, they have language - demoed and proven to be so mathematically ... But it's not the same, c'mon man.  I hate those comparisons.  WE DO TRANSCEND... as much as we f'up the planet and see examples of embarrassing stupidity at all walks of society ... there really is no comparison.  We are all storytellers built in.  And no, those species don't pack dendritic density and neuroplasticity required for the same kind of human to human instruction that puts us at a distinct and vast advantage.  Let me know when dolphins communicate the theory that reality is just synergistic emergence of the Quantum Mechanics ... Musing in a novel, that the QM is but the projector, and the movies screen is our souls and our lives, and our existentialism.  Let me know when birds generate vaccines for pandemics, based upon reading and learned via language spanning generations of science... Or, when the elephants f'n realize that we are on a planet, around a star ...around a galaxy ... amid galaxy clusters ... amid galaxy superclusters ... in a tapestry of superclusters strung together over regions so vast as to exceed any sort of comprehension; therefore for all intents and purposes is essentially infinite in scale... The only reason why we are limited in our capacitance to see that infinity, is because God is a coward that hides - hahaha...kidding. 

Anyway, I think Tamarack up there has some ability to ... these are different styles.  And one doesn't have to be any kind of 'different level' I'm not. Trust me...If you meet me in person I'm a clown

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm...I happen to like Ray's turn of phrase a lot actually.  I have thought to self at times, this is a person that could do this too if he wanted - you just need a creative idea, believe in it..start writing ..and it feeds itself - so to speak.  

It's really built into all humans - we are language processor units.  Dolphins...other whales... arguable, birds even ( now there's a real battle of wits! ), yeah, they have language - demoed and proven to be so mathematically ... But it's not the same, c'mon man.  I hate those comparisons.  WE DO TRANSCEND... as much as we f'up the planet and see examples of embarrassing stupidity at all walks of society ... there really is no comparison.  We are all storytellers built in.  And no, those species don't pack dendritic density and neuroplasticity required for the same kind of human to human instruction that puts us at a distinct and vast advantage.  Let me know when dolphins communicate the theory that reality is just synergistic emergence of the Quantum Mechanics ... Musing in a novel, that the QM is but the projector, and the movies screen is our souls and our lives, and our existentialism.  Let me know when birds generate vaccines for pandemics, based upon reading and learned via language spanning generations of science... Or, when the elephants f'n realize that we are on a planet, around a star ...around a galaxy ... amid galaxy clusters ... amid galaxy superclusters ... in a tapestry of superclusters strung together over regions so vast as to exceed any sort of comprehension; therefore for all intents and purposes is essentially infinite in scale... The only reason why we are limited in our capacitance to see that infinity, is because God is a coward that hides - hahaha...kidding. 

Anyway, I think Tamarack up there has some ability to ... these are different styles.  And one doesn't have to be any kind of 'different level' I'm not. Trust me...If you meet me in person I'm a clown

I may at some point write about my experience with alcoholism....I plan to tie it into my passion for winter weather, which is one of threads I clung to as I hit rock bottom. Funny thing is, rock bottom was at the age of 33 for me....so i already know the title.

"Thirty-three; The Melting Point".

• Like 1