Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes...loosen that confluence just a touch more and I think you'd see the WCB slam right into SNE as it runs into the block....this run sort of shunts the WCB south of us as everything runs into a brick wall and we get mostly the currier and ives ML goodies that are weakening after a moderate WAA burst.

This could become more consolidated as we get closer. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

This could become more consolidated as we get closer. 

i think this becomes a good storm for the Cape and Islands, perhaps our first real all snow threat since last year.  Again, still too early to say with any sort of confidence.  We need a consistent consensus to develop before I am jumping onto said solution.  Learned my lesson with the lack of snow the last few weeks.

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Lol, "not gonna happen" might as well keep perpetuating that this storm will not happen, like Scott N said for the Blizzard of Jan 15.

I could see a light event like the Euro....actually mod in SW NE....I think that is totally possible. I just doubt like widespread warning for all of the region.

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Definitely good trends today....wouldn't take much to get that into warning amounts. Obviously being 5.5-6 days out along with that block means this can easily go back south too.

But the Euro trend is good over the past 24 hours.  Yesterday at 12z it took it to Bermuda.  Then last night it moved it north about 250 mi, and today another 200 mi N.  So we might still get another smaller move north at 0z.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Still say 1/26 is a sell for me....but maybe not for the whole region.

Yeah you are probably in the least favorable spot in all of SNE for 1/26....further NE is bad in that setup. But trend it north another tick and it s a moot point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you are probably in the least favorable spot in all of SNE for 1/26....further NE is bad in that setup. But trend it north another tick and it s a moot point.

You would think going in that this would be the kind of winter that I would be favored relative to the rest of the region, but it just hasn't worked out....yet. The meat of every event is either in SNE or NNE...been that way since I moved here, save for 12/4/19.

Ah...  sorry, but it'd have to be an anomaly nested inside another anomaly to get either one of those two Euro depictions to transpire. 

Which, is compounding the odds against - it can happen though. And I'm not numb to the notion that other guidance are showing more interest.  That does lend something of confidence.. 

That said, we are still stuck with greater than average uncertainty beyond D 4 .. 5 in any given guidance, to to the inherent limitations of fast flow under/30-50 N with inconsistently placed blocking above those latitudes every other cycle/model type...  Those two aspect working together is beyond the state-of-the-art of the modeling ambit I'm afraid. 

I am also not numb to the crowd sensitivity in the matter, and that bruised backs don't need reminding of inherent limitations  - I just figure/hope folks don't get carried away in those solutions.  If we carry that look with several cycles ( more so than less...) and end up on 96 hours ...different ballgame perhaps.  

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Ah...  sorry, but it'd have to be an anomaly nested inside another anomaly to get either one of those two Euro depictions to transpire. 

Which, is compounding the odds against - it can happen though. And I'm not numb to the notion that other guidance are showing more interest.  That does lend something of confidence.. 

That said, we are still stuck with greater than average uncertainty beyond D 4 .. 5 in any given guidance, to to the inherent limitations of fast flow under/30-50 N with inconsistently placed blocking above those latitudes every other cycle/model type...  Those two aspect working together is beyond the state-of-the-art of the modeling ambit I'm afraid. 

I am also not numb to the crowd sensitivity in the matter, and that bruised backs don't need reminding of inherent limitations  - I just figure/hope folks don't get carried away in those solutions.  If we carry that look with several cycles ( more so than less...) and end up on 96 hours ...different ballgame perhaps.  

I fully expect a tick back south next cycle....very low expectations here. I think someone like Luke should be optimistic, though,

• Thanks 1

You can see how quickly the meteorological wheel of fortune can spin, though...envision grabbing a couple of inches on 1/26....couple more on 1/29.....than BANG on 1/31. Close it out with 15"........look back through history ten years from now and you wouldn't so much as bat an eyelash at this month, despite the 4-5 weeks of hell that we've all endured.

You'd take a look at the 20"+ monthly tally that belies the hellish first 80% of it and think'..."decent month". "I'd take it".

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You can see how quickly the meteorological wheel of fortune can spin, though...envision grabbing a couple of inches on 1/26....couple more on 1/29.....than BANG on 1/31. Close it out with 15"........look back through history ten years from now and you wouldn't so much as bat an eyelash at this month, despite the 4-5 weeks of hell that we've all endured.

Nobody remembers the Jan 1969s or the 4 weeks of nothing after blizzard of '78 or the putrid stretch between the December 1992 storm and the next one in mid-Jan 1993.....those get forgotten easily when you cash in at some point. They only get remembered if the winter never recovers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nobody remembers the Jan 1969s or the 4 weeks of nothing after blizzard of '78 or the putrid stretch between the December 1992 storm and the next one in mid-Jan 1993.....those get forgotten easily when you cash in at some point. They only get remembered if the winter never recovers.

If 4 weeks ago we had on the ground what we did then, this forum would have looked a lot different this past month.  Bare ground for an extended period can do that to you.

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nobody except us lol

Problem that I have with that is that it will either need to happen quickly, or be quite an anomaly....as you pointed out, only one moderate la nina over the past 70+ years has rallied fiercely in the second half in this area. If this were an el nino, then I wouldn't sweat it. You can try to use Tip's Hadley Cell clause to wiggle off of the figurative hook that is this train of thought, but as you and I have discussed, theoretically, HC expansion should only serve to constructively interfere with the already normally unfavorable Feb la nina regime.

Better pray to get lucky and have that next PV succeed at tempting that heffer of a sister to plant herself on a couch in Canada. If we end up with the anorexic twin again, its curtains, barring a miracle. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nobody remembers the Jan 1969s or the 4 weeks of nothing after blizzard of '78 or the putrid stretch between the December 1992 storm and the next one in mid-Jan 1993..... or the entire decade of the 1980s CD violation unrelenting ... those get forgotten easily when you cash in at some point. They only get remembered if the winter never recovers.

right 

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't like the fact that those are riding over the top of a third trimester pregnancy in the deep south -

I think that is aptly resolved in the medium range on the EURO...that is why it ends up a light event up here. Its shredded between the block, and 602DM heights over Biscayne Bay.