Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

10 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

All that arctic cold that the GFS was pushing just 24 hours ago has evaporated into thin air.  Lately these models are about as useful as the groundhog.

Personally, if the N stream can't dig, I'd just assume recover the PV and be done with it. I don't think anyone yearns for Jan 2004 with bare ground. Pack it up, and take my chances next season after four consecutive years with below avg snowfall. I like my odds next year in that case, statistically speaking.

It's a frustrating catch 22....we need the N stream energy to phase w the Pac energy, but the N stream can't dig enough to hit us bc of all the energy out west. Yea, can do it with all N stream, but it still needs to dig...otherwise we just see that strange cat in New Foundland making more nude youtube videos.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Personally, if the N stream can't dig, I'd just assume recover the PV and be done with it. I don't think anyone yearns for Jan 2004 with bare ground. Pack it up, and take my chances next season after four consecutive years with below avg snowfall. I like my odds next year in that case, statistically speaking.

“Regression is a bitch”. :lol:

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

gambler's fallacy

2 hours ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

Yeah I was in southern ct for Feb 2006 . There was a legendary gradient near Springfield, MA  My parents house had 19 near the East Longmeadow line and the northwest side of the city got like 6.  

I had 16 to 17 and brief 3/hr rates and a couple claps of thunder....when I went downtown to work two miles nw they had 8 or so...and eastern East longmeadow out to Hampden two feet plus

The early January warmth in 2021 in your region is something that occurred in 2008 as well. Not guaranteeing Maine gets a lot of snow later on like that year, but given that the pattern nationally is a decent match to January 2008 so far, I wouldn't completely write off a modified 2008 solution. 

This is Caribou in Jan 2021 (high/low, anomaly):

28.6/17.8 +12.5 for 1/1 to 1/16

This is Caribou in Jan 2008:

27.6/12.2 +9.3 for 1/1 to 1/16

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

God can roll snake eyes for a long time.  Longer than any of us can hold out!  

What a weenie 00z GFS run for this week at the ski areas.

It snows almost daily, bringing another 1” QPF to the mountains over about 4 events in 7 days... at cold temperatures.

850mb temps are in the sweet spot for fluffy orographic snows, probably the one time the Kuchie maps should be closer to reality.

6F21F413-E153-4925-88FF-98CBC801CD10.thumb.png.5102d8a05cd1849a63415c42d4daf1cb.png

• Weenie 2

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What a weenie 00z GFS run for this week at the ski areas.

It snows almost daily, bringing another 1” QPF to the mountains over about 4 events in 7 days... at cold temperatures.

850mb temps are in the sweet spot for fluffy orographic snows, probably the one time the Kuchie maps should be closer to reality.

6F21F413-E153-4925-88FF-98CBC801CD10.thumb.png.5102d8a05cd1849a63415c42d4daf1cb.png

Lol. You sure they aren’t counting the amount of qpf shot out of snow guns once the temps are optimal?

• Weenie 1

These threads are high comedy. I thank you all, especially the regulars, on behalf of those who mostly lurk and laugh. 

We're struggling. Even a swing and a miss would be welcome at this point - something, anything, to track and ponder. As many have mentioned in the last few weeks, vaporizing our cover on Christmas was the most devastating component of this awful stretch. It'd been a lot different around these parts if we were clinging to that well into 2021.

It's particularly painful to me to have watched the coastal Connecticut sky spitting out snow last May, and then again in October, only to leave us with this purgatory in prime time. We all know what February can do. We got this. Stay sane.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1