Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, Spanks45 said:

I hope so, the kids are ready for it to warm up and were asking when spring weather is going to show up....honestly I am soon ready for it too if we don't see some snow soon. I just ordered my seeds for this year, they will be here next week and I will be starting the early stuff soon

Seed planting in January? 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Back to the present and future .. eps still offers hope Thursday for a couple. 

Really need the northern stream to dig more like 2 or 3 days ago if we want more than an inch or two. Still possible....but it’s also still possible that it gets even weaker and turns into flurries. 

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Feb 13 was an all timer here.  34”..man what a whopper that was.  Hamden had 40”. 

God that was a great storm......just pounded and pounded and pounded.....and it was at night too which was sorta cool.....something like 32” I think in west Hartford.....feb 2006 was also very good - first on my list until feb 2013.....we got 24”.....

Just now, ice1972 said:

God that was a great storm......just pounded and pounded and pounded.....and it was at night too which was sorta cool.....something like 32” I think in west Hartford.....feb 2006 was also very good - first on my list until feb 2013.....we got 24”.....

Yes sir both were fabulous. :-)

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Really need the northern stream to dig more like 2 or 3 days ago if we want more than an inch or two. Still possible....but it’s also still possible that it gets even weaker and turns into flurries. 

Yeah I think 1-2” is most likely. Just fluff that probably sublimates the next day. Just looking for anything to look forward to 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spanks45 said:

The lack of winter has given me enough time to get this this far along in the garden project. I didn't think I was getting this far when I started this in November...

20201229_152314.jpg

It’s truly amazing to me. The green grass. I’ve never seen a winter where the grass stays green. It’s been frozen ground for weeks .. we had about 24 days of snowcover here in Dec.. and it’s still stayed green. No one has been able to offer any reason why 

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Just hope we don’t get some brutal subzero nights if you plant them before spring. 

That plastic there is garlic I planted in November, it is actually sprouted almost an inch so far since I planted....I will cover it with leaves if it looked to get that cold and we do not get any snow to blanket it....all my seeds are started inside and will be taken out when appropriate.

• Like 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s truly amazing to me. The green grass. I’ve never seen a winter where the grass stays green. It’s been frozen ground for weeks .. we had about 24 days of snowcover here in Dec.. and it’s still stayed green. No one has been able to offer any reason why 

this year, the only time it has gotten really cold was when we had snow on the ground, it acts like a blanket and actually protects the grass. Even today, it was cold with the wind, but we have been above freezing for over 48 hours now

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

That was another crap storm at my house... I remember 10 miles away did really good

Yeah I was in southern ct for Feb 2006 . There was a legendary gradient near Springfield, MA  My parents house had 19 near the East Longmeadow line and the northwest side of the city got like 6.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

That plastic there is garlic I planted in November, it is actually sprouted almost an inch so far since I planted....I will cover it with leaves if it looked to get that cold and we do not get any snow to blanket it....all my seeds are started inside and will be taken out when appropriate.

I'm going to try garlic this year, usually do tomatoes, peppers and cukes and some basil and oregano.

This incoming pattern seems to me as though the N stream just can not dig quite enough due to the RNA out west. The result is that everything phases and congeals to our NE. Best bet is probably either hoping for a brief PNA nod timed well with the passage of N steam wave, or waiting until the pattern begins to break down nearer the end of the month. The latter seems more likely.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Are you long and strong on the 26th?

I think the ceiling is very high, but the floor is far more likely. At the moment, I lean towards a whiff, or light to moderate event......but  yes. The threat is very viable, but we need a break...and in this N stream dominant pattern, you may not know that the break is coming until you see the whites of its eyes....like 72-84 hours out.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think the ceiling is very high, but the floor is far more likely. At the moment, I lean towards a whiff, or light to moderate event......but  yes. The threat is very viable, but we need a break...and in this N stream dominant pattern, you may not know that the break is coming until you see the whites of its eyes....like 72-84 hours out.

Don’t sleep on a nice 1-3” on Thursday