Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I know ..it's hilarious -

I wonder ... the last 20 years ( we've had this conversation before - I'll keep it comparatively brief ...) we have had not only more snow than any other 20 year period probably dating back 300 years of climo ( check that; it just seems so), more importantly:  It was also 20 years of constant cinema.  The excitement quotient was concomitantly ...exceptionally dosing! 

Perhaps we are just conditioned to expect more drama now, and that "euphoria" drug we joke about, when opening the models and seeing 8 to 10 isobars closed off over ACK becomes ...almost 'entitled' ?  We're talking years bombs and over-achieving SWFE and Katrina's and Maria's and Sumatran subduction thrust events...my god.

Hell hath no fury like entitlement "unjustly" unrealized. Lol. Like, the sin of god himself to impose normalcy.    just sayn'

Afterthought:  I realize we may not have actually had more 20-year totals than other 20-year blocks of time in the past...  I do know that when it's on, we over-achieved more frequently per features and season.   Btw, folks,..that is/was modeled by climate change science - fwiw... A metric was proposed all along by guidance and science therein, that the atmosphere holds more WV in a warming world. Mechanisms that release that WV will increase proficiency ... 

You know, I was actually thinking the other day “this was pretty normal when I was growing up”....granted, I grew up during some lean snow times including the worst 4 consecutive year stretch on record at ORH, but still. It was totally normal to go weeks with nothing except maybe an inch here or 2-3 inches there and never anything significant. Scott and I used to joke about how stoked we’d get when Mets were forecasting like 3-6” or 4-8”. That seemed like a HUGE storm back then. 

These days, we’re pissing and whining when we get 12” and someone else is getting a 30” mesoband. How spoiled rotten we have become. 

It’s funny how if we just keep getting skunked all this week, then maybe we score a relatively modest  6” on the 1/26 threat, we’d still be above average for snowfall. Lol. 

It’s like we collectively couldn’t recover from the sting of the Grinch storm. I’d bet the tenure of the season would be 100% different if we spent the last week of December and first two weeks of January with a sublimating 8” glacier left from the 12/17 storm. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You know, I was actually thinking the other day “this was pretty normal when I was growing up”....granted, I grew up during some lean snow times including the worst 4 consecutive year stretch on record at ORH, but still. It was totally normal to go weeks with nothing except maybe an inch here or 2-3 inches there and never anything significant. Scott and I used to joke about how stoked we’d get when Mets were forecasting like 3-6” or 4-8”. That seemed like a HUGE storm back then. 

These days, we’re pissing and whining when we get 12” and someone else is getting a 30” mesoband. How spoiled rotten we have become. 

It’s funny how if we just keep getting skunked all this week, then maybe we score a relatively modest  6” on the 1/26 threat, we’d still be above average for snowfall. Lol. 

It’s like we collectively couldn’t recover from the sting of the Grinch storm. I’d bet the tenure of the season would be 100% different if we spent the last week of December and first two weeks of January with a sublimating 8” glacier left from the 12/17 storm. 

Yeah and the entire second half of the storm down this way was like 1:6 type stuff...12” of serious meat and potatoes type pack. Didn’t stand a chance against that grinch, vaporized it in 12 hours. Who knows, if that didn’t happen we still could have had some of the glacier pack around today. Well, subtract yesterday’s rain too, lol.

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This times a thousand. Growing up in SRI I was ecstatic over a 4 to 8 call. To the whiny butts please stop.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It may have been normal to go a couple weeks with nothing. But even in the 80’s we would never go a month and now more than a month with no snow falling

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It may have been normal to go a couple weeks with nothing. But even in the 80’s we would never go a month and now more than a month with no snow falling

mm... I dunno Kev 

I can distinctly recall 40 day stints of really not even seeing a flurry.  I remember the weeks after that 1987 planetary alignment storm... that ended winter.  Feb and March nothing...

1989 ?  come on man - Thanks Giving was the whole winter that year pretty much. 

It's actually kind of a silly conversation point because we both know that every decade has ratters ... And even in 'partial ratters' that have a good event or two nested in dearths of events, those years will still put three week stints of ennui in the books pretty commonly.   Realistically ? not, ..or should not be considered that uncommon

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I had 1” on 1/1 on the front end, 2” on 1/3, a half inch on 1/5, and a coating on 1/14. 

This is what it would be like. 

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No, it was pretty bad at times in the 80’s bud.  This wouldn’t have been that uncommon.  

But With that said...it still sucks. Hopefully something breaks our way soon. 

35 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I could have easily resisted...I wanted to bark at that guy. It felt Good.   

Now back to the gentler Wolfie...we good. 

So easy for him to get under the skin,  but I get it. It is worse when the winter weather scenes is just so crappy at the moment. Up at our place in the Adirondacks they have  a foot or more and I know people are running the sleds but the conditions are not optimal,.

Just now, Cold Miser said:

So easy for him to get under the skin,  but I get it. It is worse when the winter weather scenes is just so crappy at the moment. Up at our place in the Adirondacks they have  a foot or more and I know people are running the sleds but the conditions are not optimal,.

Pretty sure that foot will be 2 by Wed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

Yes..your completely correct. :-)

Ya, in northern Maine where I do my sledding, they’re all riding too...not optimal, but not all that bad either. Gotta make the best of it sometimes. 

8 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Euro sucks for the 26th

I'm wondering if the EPS carries it or at least some -

The GEFs actually have several members with blizzards.  Sort of imagine "PD1" but a further N. track compared to that one - Will would be the better one to reference but I'm pretty sure that first variation of the straight E Miller B boning on northern extent scenario had milk cirrus and flurries to the Pike with CCB blizzard conditions in PHL-DCA...  Digress -

Another aspect that's interesting is that 2/3rds of those members have a storm and of those, they're all snow really... Usually at this range, they are all rain - not sure if that means anything but.

Anyway, point is ... I wonder if the operational Euro is a rare weaker outlier

• Like 1