Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

not ready to embrace this yet, but I wonder if one scenario is a sort of warm swfe where CNE and lower NNE get a burst of 4-8 heavy wet snow, then dry slot and drizzle?  That would be a nice set-up for what comes the following couple of weeks.

That depiction as shown looks awfully optimistic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Could see an uplsope component too on the E and SE slopes locally cooling it there for a time. 

Yeah you can see the 925mb temps respond well to wind flow in VT/NH.  Cooler values switching from east side to west side of the terrain with the wind change mid-storm.

The other thing that makes me hopeful for the first half of Feb, is the tendency for models to break down the warming at 50mb. I'm comparing EPS forecasts and they overall are showing the tendency for this warm node to be broken down too quickly. IOW, I would think an overall -AO or -NAO regime probably persists a little longer than the weeklies show. The fact that guidance sort of latches on to another -NAO by the Davis Straits might be a sign of that. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The other thing that makes me hopeful for the first half of Feb, is the tendency for models to break down the warming at 50mb. I'm comparing EPS forecasts and they overall are showing the tendency for this warm node to be broken down too quickly. IOW, I would think an overall -AO or -NAO regime probably persists a little longer than the weeklies show. The fact that guidance sort of latches on to another -NAO by the Davis Straits might be a sign of that. 

I remember when we just needed to wait until January 10th... what a dumpster fire. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It has always been mid month

No it hasn't....the somewhat more favorable pattern developed shortly after New Years....we narrowly missed a good storm on 1/3-1/4 and there were a couple other shots around 1/12 and 1/14 but we couldn't get the shortwaves to line up.

It's true that the pattern was always going to improve as the month wore on, but we definitely could have scored something in New England before then in the 1/3-1/14 period. Them's the breaks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No it hasn't....the somewhat more favorable pattern developed shortly after New Years....we narrowly missed a good storm on 1/3-1/4 and there were a couple other shots around 1/12 and 1/14 but we couldn't get the shortwaves to line up.

It's true that the pattern was always going to improve as the month wore on, but we definitely could have scored something in New England before then in the 1/3-1/14 period. Them's the breaks.

Yeah I think we were saying mid month when the Pacific gets better and overall better airmass, but we did have some chances on guidance before that. Some of the srn storms were brought up here on the models, but alas to no avail. 

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

For example. You can see the current day 10 image from what the forecast was 5 days ago. 

image.png.aa811a23341e7806201e8647c71c1886.png

image.png.45ab2a7e0ebe72396a99d00edd59c385.png

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I think we were saying mid month when the Pacific gets better and overall better airmass, but we did have some chances on guidance before that. Some of the srn storms were brought up here on the models, but alas to no avail. 

Yeah the PAC improvement was always mid-month, but usually when we have a good -NAO and kind of a cruddy PAC, the active firehose will spray a system or two into that block and give us an event. But in the 2021 version, we almost ended up with too many shortwaves and couldn't get anything to become dominant and solidify....and the single shortwave that did got crushed just enough to screw us (1/3-1/4).....kind of a bad break, but it happens. As we've preached, how many good breaks have we gotten in the past 15 years? LOL.

But maybe we make up for it in the next 2-3 weeks with a big one.

Just now, PhineasC said:

Seems like a really tall order under the current weather regime. Need a total pattern flip. My temp has only been single digits a couple times this winter... seems really abnormal based on the past data I looked at. 

I feel like you'll get cold. Be careful what you wish for....it gets freaking cold up there..lol. I was up there cross country skiing in 1994 when it was like -35F at night. At some point, the cold becomes stupid.