Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

35 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Jan 2015 will always haunt me here in NYC. I know you guys got smoked but the fact that 2’-3’ was expected and only got 11” hurts. That and only a mere 25 miles made the difference between 1’ totals to 2’ totals

Wasn't that the giant Euro bust of all timers ??   I think that was the one when the Euro came in at like 60 or 72 hours out, ...well inside it's theoretical 'unbeatable' performance windoe of less than 4 days too ..., and put up 30" inside of a 72 mph CCB low-level cryo jet!   Sending NWS scrambling to get blizzard warnings up for an event that by virtue of population/demographics would mean probably a NESDIS ( using K.U. for instance ) of 6~!     ...   

Phew...just got it in with barely enough time to get the homeless into shelters and the Nat Guard on stand-by and just then, the 24 hour models were snow showers - ...  Gotta be a burp run, right?   

Sort of... the 11" was made to be flurries in the specter of all that dramatic shit show -

Thing that's interesting about that is the bust was prooobably - I'm wondering ... - worse for the weather 'com-con' community and the forecasters then it was for the public in an interesting psycho-babble twist.  I wonder that because 11" toted along sideways in 55 mph gusts at 15 F is ferocious enough and to the J.Q. Public, which is the real 99th percentile bio-mass ( lol ) ...that may have been plenty severe enough to have warranted said drama... or at least closed the interpretive gap on a busting vs realization toward the latter.. 

• Like 1

Okay ... cool - so... the SSW does appear to actually be propagating.   I did post a graphic and that concern late yesterday.  The impetus being, if the propagation does not take place there is no physical exertion in the pV domain and so that as a forcing mechanism for pV break-down and ...blah blah blocking is likely being achieved via other pathways ( such as standard planetary wave dispersion ) at high latitudes.   

That's when WAA ends up at high latitudes after robust mid level cyclonic graveyard migrations ..etc... 

Anyway, this morning, there is a new node materializing on the graphs at GDAS, down toward the 50-70 sigma levels...; that tells us that the main (previous) emerged 5-10 sigma lobe of heat is in fact, moving down in the atmosphere ...  That needs another weak to entangle in the tropopausal depths, however... which is about right on time for the total 20 day average lag correlation.  

Meanwhile, ...the funny aspect is the AO has been greatly depressed lower than 0 SD for a month already anyway. And no...it is not related to the presently tracking SSW/propagation - because if one knows how to read ...we need to succeed said lag ... 

It also lends to the discussion aspects Will and Scott and I were having regarding the futility versus usefulness of that factorization on the hemisphere ... if/when circumstances are interfering with it in a constructive version destructive sense... It's not a silver bullet into the heard of the winter vampire that saves children of winter doe-eyeds dreams and fairies... no.  It's conditionally accessible as a help.  If the ongoing AO is neggie already ( like now...) it's questionable if/when it's modulation is either detectable...or if so, if it means much of physical difference anyway.  Other aspects ... like, it could be arriving in a +AO winter...and force the index neutral or negative, and the cold could spill out of Eurasia ...  It's all around an aggrandized factor that needs to wane in popularity just like the NAO from the 1990s over-assumption of utility too -... wah wah wahhhhh

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Jan 2015 will always haunt me here in NYC. I know you guys got smoked but the fact that 2’-3’ was expected and only got 11” hurts. That and only a mere 25 miles made the difference between 1’ totals to 2’ totals

And the grandkids in SNJ were overjoyed at the 12-16" forecast, until it verified at 1.5" which was gone 3-4 hours after final flakes.

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Wasn't that the giant Euro bust of all timers ??   I think that was the one when the Euro came in at like 60 or 72 hours out, ...well inside it's theoretical 'unbeatable' performance windoe of less than 4 days too ..., and put up 30" inside of a 72 mph CCB low-level cryo jet!   Sending NWS scrambling to get blizzard warnings up for an event that by virtue of population/demographics would mean probably a NESDIS ( using K.U. for instance ) of 6~!     ...   

Phew...just got it in with barely enough time to get the homeless into shelters and the Nat Guard on stand-by and just then, the 24 hour models were snow showers - ...  Gotta be a burp run, right?   

Sort of... the 11" was made to be flurries in the specter of all that dramatic shit show -

Yeah it definitely was. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dec '03 had a 40"+ report in Farmington Maine that Tamarack likes to call out as likely bogus.

Farmington (midnight obs) 6-7:  14"/26This is the strange number.

My place (9 PM obs) 6-7:  6"/18".  Had S+ at 9 so prob. 12" by midnight, 12" after.

New Sharon co-op (7 AM obs):  23" on 12/7.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Outside shot hear on the coastal plain, But the 12z v16 and the 12z GFS get the trough further east with the vort @H5 tracking a bit further south too.

image.thumb.png.bddbf1dbc6ba4bf08b673bb4330c93f4.png

Yeah it’s definitely something to track.  Plenty of juice on these runs.  Going to be timing as that wave rides the frontal boundary.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah it’s definitely something to track.  Plenty of juice on these runs.  Going to be timing as that wave rides the frontal boundary.

H5 dampens out a bit as its moving ENE as the trough stays a hair more progressive before it goes negative, SLP is now either overhead or just to the east, Wouldn't take much more then another 50 miles or so east to bring the rain/snow line SE as well, At least its something to watch and not out in la la land.