Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’ll take 12”+ in December any day. That’s a big deal to me, especially on the coast. 

Agreed, not on the coast but much rather have snow around the holidays than January feb. now it’d almost be depressing to have a glacier out there. At least the kids can still run around. I’m certainly in the minority and having accepted this winter as “crappy” may be coloring my perspective.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Coastline shape and especially the mountainous terrain. You can get blocked flow like you hear about powderfreak talk about sometimes up in the greens. Only the mountain elevations are higher in japan so the flow becomes blocked easier. When that happens, it creates extra low level convergence to the west of them. 

I figured it has something to do with terrain, but scooter saying they got slammed at sea level threw me off...convergence explains that. 

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I get the feeling that this would’ve been much better off as winter romance if it never snowed that one storm in December…

It seems to be when you get that one event early ... it seems that the early snow absolutely screws everybody spirits if it doesn’t do anything afterwards - far worse than if folks had just never been exposed to it at all. 

No.....hardly any snow from 12/17 to Jan 20+ would still piss people right the F off 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

No doubt but the vaporized pack with damage in the basement on Xmas killed that good vibe for me. Totals are what they are though so 15” for the season on Jan11th is still ahead of schedule I believe. 

I was thinking today.....if the grinch didn't vaporize the snowpack leading into this stretch, then it wouldn't have been as bad....its been seasonably cold ever since.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No.....hardly any snow from 12/17 to Jan 20+ would still piss people right the F off 

Pure subjectivity .... it’s only been a month. 
You know I’m not saying it wouldn’t aggravate people I’m just saying it’s made interminably worse by setting peoples expectations I don’t think that’s really common sense deniable

it may yet snow before the 20 th tho

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The reports are nuts. Some crazy pics on twitter too.

I've always watched it since it became a powder mecca for skiing... top end bucket list spot.  But I remember one weather enthusiast that wanted to actually record the snowfall, but after it snowed fluff straight down for 9 days straight on westerly flow of Siberian cold. Said he couldn't keep track of it, it all started blending together and overwhelmed his snowfall plot.

I mean, Siberian cold air mass on the move and then riding across the Sea of Japan... running into landmass friction and then steep terrain.  Those Hokkaido ski areas and towns get absolutely smoked.

Untitled.jpg.4de19326dfdd37cb34cbed9c99261bc9.jpg

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I know.....I get it. That part sucked. But I did enjoy the biggest December event since 2010. 

For sure. Most in sne will take a foot anytime. We had a blast playing in it for a few days so there were good memories regardless of the amount of rolled up rugs and items I angerly tossed shortly thereafter. 

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I've always watched it since it became a powder mecca for skiing... top end bucket list spot.  But I remember one weather enthusiast that wanted to actually record the snowfall, but after it snowed fluff straight down for 9 days straight on westerly flow of Siberian cold. Said he couldn't keep track of it, it all started blending together and overwhelmed his snowfall plot.

I mean, Siberian cold air mass on the move and then riding across the Sea of Japan... running into landmass friction and then steep terrain.  Those Hokkaido ski areas and towns get absolutely smoked.

Untitled.jpg.4de19326dfdd37cb34cbed9c99261bc9.jpg

Def. My brother and I talk about it all the time. Either we take our families there with us or him and I go old school...like we used to on our ski trips to CO, UT, VT, etc and go hard. That would have to wait at least 7-8 years. 

17 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I was thinking today.....if the grinch didn't vaporize the snowpack leading into this stretch, then it wouldn't have been as bad....its been seasonably cold ever since.

Huh, seasonably cold!?  Or just near freezing enough to keep frozen?

ORH’s last below normal day was on December 19th.  BDL on the 20th and BOS on the 21st.

We are going on several weeks without a daily departure below normal.  That’s incredibly warm.

ORH... +6.4

BDL... +6.3

BOS... +4.2

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea. If it stuck around post new year, it would have felt more festive...and the quiet period wouldn’t have felt as quiet, if that makes sense.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Huh!?  Seasonably cold?

ORH’s last below normal day was on December 19th.  BDL on the 20th and BOS on the 21st.

We are going on several weeks without a daily departure below normal.  That’s incredibly warm.

ORH... +6.4

BDL... +6.3

BOS... +4.2

Wierd. It’s been pretty chilly lately. The kids wanted to come inside on Saturday after like 30min, they were freezing. Maybe a case of higher mins?

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

ORH... +6.4

BDL... +6.3

BOS... +4.2

lol seasonably cold, given GW I guess +6 is the new seasonal cold

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Huh!?  Seasonably cold?

ORH... +6.4

BDL... +6.3

BOS... +4.2

The nighttime lows are whats killing it. Even down this way the daily highs really haven't been that warm but the overnight lows which would normally be in the low 20's even some teens just north of me are sitting in the low 30's, with that stretch of clouds at the beginning we had a 5 degree swing with lows in the mid 30's that roasts averages.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

ORH... +6.4

BDL... +6.3

BOS... +4.2

Seems to me like its been more overnight lows making the daily departures look so warm, highs haven’t been too bad, it’s mostly felt like winter besides the Christmas torch. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wierd. It’s been pretty chilly lately. The kids wanted to come inside on Saturday after like 30min, they were freezing. Maybe a case of higher mins?

It’s been warmer on average in those SNE sites for the first week and a half than the start to 2016.

This winter is a sneaky torch... it’s been very mild on the daily.  

3 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Seems to me like its been more overnight lows making the daily departures look so warm, highs haven’t been too bad, it’s mostly felt like winter besides the Christmas torch. 

Yeah definitely the overnight lows, but it's still an average high of 36F at 1,000ft in ORH.  Normal is 31F.  That's +5 on highs at 1,000ft.

I know its a hop, skip, jump down to my area but working at KBWI we had 57 on the second, that was a really warm day felt like a taste of spring. Yesterday hit a high that just scraped 50 but most have been low to mid 40's about 2-3 degrees above average. The nighttime lows though... last 2 days have been the closest to average but most have been mid 30's even some upper 30's that is almost 10-12 degrees (if not more on some days) above average.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s what it seems like but I don’t pay attention to min temps tbh. Only max temps.

Average high at BDL has been 40F.  Normal 34F for +6 on highs since the New Year, it's odd it feels seasonably cold to you guys compared to the averages.

6 days so far in January have hit or exceeded 40 degrees?  Maybe it's been dry with lower wet-bulbs? 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Average high at BDL has been 40F.  Normal 34F for +6 on highs since the New Year, it's odd it feels seasonably cold to you guys compared to the averages.

6 days so far in January have hit or exceeded 40 degrees?  Maybe it's been dry with lower wet-bulbs? 

I’m in southern CT but it’s much colder here than BDL highest temp is 36.9 since Jan 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, that's a warm pattern.  2012 or 2015 levels, the highs are noticeably above normal and the lows are just ridiculous.

It can be much worse we were 74 on this day last year and had several days in 50s and 60s those years. Last 9 days have been below 37 here which is not horrible for southern CT.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Could be a bit of selective memory based on our schedules. Drop the kids off at 730am, sub freezing. WFH so we barely step outside during the day. Pick them up at 530pm in the dark, cold again. Saturday we played outside all bundle up and they were done in 30min. Sunday, went to park at 11am and the ground was frozen with a little snow in the shade. I still have a snow piles on my driveway too so it hasn’t felt sneaky torchy at all tbh. Maybe I’m getting old and 38F feels like 28F lol. 

4 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

It can be much worse we were 74 on this day last year and had several days in 50s and 60s those years. Last 9 days have been below 37 here which is not horrible for southern CT.

Maybe it’s the lack of one complete torch where you have windows open in January... but on the whole, this time period and first half of winter is going into the scrolls as a warm one.

I get what you are saying though... there have been no t-shirt days.