Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It hasn't been more than 8 degrees from freezing in Boston since Christmas.

12/31 was 45˚ at KBOS, and 42˚ several more days … but yes, very stable. From what I can tell, the 18˚ temp range at KBOS is the lowest such range for the first 11 days of Jan on record. And not likely to change much soon, either.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ariof said:

12/31 was 45˚ at KBOS, and 42˚ several more days … but yes, very stable. From what I can tell, the 18˚ temp range at KBOS is the lowest such range for the first 11 days of Jan on record. And not likely to change much soon, either.

At least the weather seems stable these days.

Hope remains alive heading past about 1/20 or so.  There's no black hole over AK or Greenland, so we may as well root for snow chances.

Just now, UnitedWx said:

If memory serves (probably not) haven't some of our larger storms come during a weakening phase of a - NAO

Yes, though you tend to get more of them when the NAO is going INTO the negative phase.

But 1/12/11 was when the big NAO block early that month was breaking down. Ditto Feb 2006 and Blizzard of '96 off the top of my head.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yes, though you tend to get more of them when the NAO is going INTO the negative phase.

But 1/12/11 was when the big NAO block early that month was breaking down. Ditto Feb 2006 and Blizzard of '96 off the top of my head.

Blizzard of '96 was the one I was thinking about specifically now that you mention it. Several years ago someone had posted a chart showing the state of the Atlantic during some of our more memorable storms. It made it clear how much more than just the Atlantic is needed to work things out. Seems to get forgotten here...

30 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

At least the weather seems stable these days.

Hope remains alive heading past about 1/20 or so.  There's no black hole over AK or Greenland, so we may as well root for snow chances.

At least the ground should remain frozen so we don't lose the first few inches of anything that does fall.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'll take a couple straight weeks of winter. Hopefully a good couple of hits during it. If its good enough the memory of it will make many of us consider it one of those winters of yore.

• Like 1

Just now, J Paul Gordon said:

I mean the 6 weeks from the end of January to the end of February 2015 defined the entire winter. Meantime, December and January (until that last week) were awful. March was OK. But we recall just that one stretch as if it ran from Halloween to May Day.

March was good south of the pike....it sucked up here. Cold and dry...epic pack just slowly fossilized and eroded under the strengthening March sun.