• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

This has probably been the most boring and unremarkable winter month that I can recall in a very long time. I mean , last season was memorable for the warmth.....over what will be a month next week? One warm cutter, otherwise, complete and utter meteorological ennui. Not much precipitation, not particularly cold, not particularly mild. Its been an absolute clinic in boredom from mother nature. Se may have fallen asleep herself at the wheel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

FYP

Wolf has to be the first sacrificial lamb.  

Like Ray said, hopefully we're back to tracking legitimate threats by mid week, next week.

Agree...we will be tracking.  

All my stuff is old and will likely detonate during the first major event so I get a pass.  Over confidence in old machines also portends snow.  I’m covered.  ;-)

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This has probably been the most boring and unremarkable winter month that I can recall in a very long time. I mean , last season was memorable for the warmth.....over what will be a month next week? One warm cutter, otherwise, complete and utter meteorological ennui. Not much precipitation, not particularly cold, not particularly mild. Its been an absolute clinic in boredom from mother nature. Se may have fallen asleep herself at the wheel.

Agreed. Times like these I'm glad work is crazy and I have other hobbies to distract. I do however miss quiet evenings tracking storms with an adult beverage...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Maybe I am getting older, but I find myself in the "who the hells needs this" category when it's just boring in winter. I love the cold and snow, but otherwise...it's a useless time of year when it's 40 and sunny.  It's like my attitude in March I guess. Yay for sunny and 50!. What the eff does that mean other than warm bum bums in cars.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe I am getting older, but I find myself in the "who the hells needs this" category when it's just boring in winter. I love the cold and snow, but otherwise...it's a useless time of year when it's 40 and sunny.  It's like my attitude in March I guess. Yay for sunny and 50!. What the eff does that mean other than warm bum bums in cars.

Lol, ...kinda like how I feel about cloudy and still calm stagnant 39 F Aprils -

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I agree, aside from the fact that I''m just glad to to be free of swamp ass for several months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the weather has just become boring. We can't buy snow events, the Great Plains can't buy severe wx (KS only had 17 tornadoes in 2020...17). I mean I guess when we do get interesting weather we sure get slammed. This just brings a great debate...is it better to get a dozen small events or 1 or 2 big events? (like a winter where you get 1 20'+ event or 13 3-6'' events or a summer with one massive severe weather outbreak or a dozen events with just typical 50-60 mph winds and pea hail). ahhhhhh...this question causes me to lose sleep sometimes

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I'm getting close to punting this winter, Driving by Lake Auburn today, I could have been out fishing in my boat, This is absurd for Jan 8th, Last time ice free at this time of year was 2006.

There’s no real ice on the River behind my place either, it’s been absurdly warm.  Normally it seems like 1-2 feet thick with just a small narrow channel of moving water.  It still looks like November.

I’m actually not minding this stretch were in. I do have snow cover and in the woods in particular it really looks like mid winter. But the walking and hiking is great because of the low snow cover and I think we have a lot to look forward to starting sometime late next week for a good stretch and that’ll be great

3 hours ago, 512high said:

We just bought a $22,000 plow for our small loader, I will wax it , it will snow

I understand Scott and others say mid month, will see, not our luck right now

A friend has been attempting to trade in his truck with a plow for 2 months. He said he is being laughed out of dealerships.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Agree...we will be tracking.  

All my stuff is old and will likely detonate during the first major event so I get a pass.  Over confidence in old machines also portends snow.  I’m covered.  ;-)

It’s brand new guys...can’t pull the plug on her lmao. Sorry for ginxing it guys...thought I’d be riding it by now.  We wait. We patient. 

12 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

the weather has just become boring. We can't buy snow events, the Great Plains can't buy severe wx (KS only had 17 tornadoes in 2020...17). I mean I guess when we do get interesting weather we sure get slammed. This just brings a great debate...is it better to get a dozen small events or 1 or 2 big events? (like a winter where you get 1 20'+ event or 13 3-6'' events or a summer with one massive severe weather outbreak or a dozen events with just typical 50-60 mph winds and pea hail). ahhhhhh...this question causes me to lose sleep sometimes

When the weather pattern is boring I like to read about past tornado outbreaks. And in summer about hurricanes. Helps keep the spirit up 

• Like 1

Just now, Cyclone-68 said:

When the weather pattern is boring I like to read about past tornado outbreaks. And in summer about hurricanes. Helps keep the spirit up 

I found this book at Walgreens on New Year's Eve about Connecticut Tornadoes. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I did read the first 5 pages and it was talking about a major tornado that went through Wethersfield or New Britain I think in the late 1700's. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I found this book at Walgreens on New Year's Eve about Connecticut Tornadoes. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I did read the first 5 pages and it was talking about a major tornado that went through Wethersfield or New Britain I think in the late 1700's. 

Perfect!  I just wish I could find my Significant Tornadoes” book in my house somewhere. That’s an awesome way to kill a few hours or when the climate is boring 

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

May i also suggest Tornado by Polk Laffoon (yes that’s a real name) and Tornado Watch 211 for some more good reading