Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

You bring up a good question. I NEVER clear, I only report snow measurement to NWS on snow depth for current storm. I always wondered if all these 30 plus measurements lately are people who clear. 

I think it is but for a while I thought clearing every 6hrs was the ‘right way’ until the recent change. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

You bring up a good question. I NEVER clear, I only report snow measurement to NWS on snow depth for current storm. I always wondered if all these 30 plus measurements lately are people who clear. 

Not all, but some were. Others reported the total snow depths (old snow on the ground and from the storm) and not just the snowfall. I researched it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH's record snowfall according to them is still 1992-1993. :lol:

So BOX has the "official" snow climo for ORH right? And by official I mean, corrected. I always wonder when I see news outlets post about ORH snow stats. I hope they are using the corrected version.

34 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I think it is but for a while I thought clearing every 6hrs was the ‘right way’ until the recent change. 

Well, its certainly not wrong, as major airports do it. Again, snow removal crews are concerned with snowfall, not total depth. I've said before, they aren't waiting 2 days to clear a 40" snowfall so that they can have the luxury of tackling the lesser 35" storm depth.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So BOX has the "official" snow climo for ORH right? And by official I mean, corrected. I always wonder when I see news outlets post about ORH snow stats. I hope they are using the corrected version.

They have some of the records in-house there. I believe they do have the '95-'96 record as I've seen in referenced (most recently in the 2014-2015 winter when we were threatening it)...and they also have the 33.0" '97 blizzard total which had previously been the record storm total until Jan 2015.

I resent the ORH reconstructed data to them recently actually sometime last year...I think they are going to make another attempt at some point to get it in the NCEI database. Hopefully they are successful this time. We initially tried way back in like 2008 or 2009 and ran into too much red tape.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They have some of the records in-house there. I believe they do have the '95-'96 record as I've seen in referenced (most recently in the 2014-2015 winter when we were threatening it)...and they also have the 33.0" '97 blizzard total which had previously been the record storm total until Jan 2015.

I resent the ORH reconstructed data to them recently actually sometime last year...I think they are going to make another attempt at some point to get it in the NCEI database. Hopefully they are successful this time. We initially tried way back in like 2008 or 2009 and ran into too much red tape.

I don't know why it's like pulling teeth but it is, even if it's a silly obvious mistake missed in QC like precip getting put in the snow column.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

There's our s/w diving out of Quebec like a heat seeking missile to ruin any chance of a storm this weekend.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a25027ee55ed00a8d6bf8d31f68f9358.JPG

Mm.. not to be contrarian but that little guy up there isn't the problem...

That whole entire polar arm of jet arcing that it is embedded in is a vestigial "suppression" factor on the total synopsis - that thing doesn't really mean much in and of itself. 

That set up up there is related to the half-hearted daily presentation of the current -NAO that everyone insists(ed) and/or thinks we need to get big storms ... ooooh    :blink:

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm.. not to be contrarian but that little guy up there isn't the problem...

That whole entire arc of circulation is a vestigial "suppression" related to the NAO that everyone insists(ed) and/or thinks we need to get big storms ... ooooh    :blink:

The storm would likely clip us if not for that piece of shit.  That's thing just adds insult to the NAO domain.

11 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

The storm would likely clip us if not for that piece of shit.  That's thing just adds insult to the NAO domain.

Trust me... it's not that 'piece of shit' - I think it worth it clear up the conceptualizing/ it's a bigger problem with the entire circulation components than that small entity

That system in the TV isn't going to usurp that arm of polar jet that flows from eastern Canada SSE through NE ....   If you remove that little object from the field, you still have that planetary wave/jet structure in the way.... 

Anyway... that 00z GEF teleconnector was a complete reversal overnight last night...  Right smack in the face of yesterday's seeming coalesced +PNA and that Euro weird fake SSW bullshit...   No, patience wears thin when it gets harder and harder to ignore the strange repeating tendency to be dealt reverses at all scales... 

Glad my job is picking up these days - may not be around much this winter if these modeling performances continue... There's nothing to be learned or inspired by "miss"guidance