• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

The 9th-11th timeframe looks to mainly hinge on the interaction between what looks like an polar vortex/arctic jet vorticity lobe that closes off over Ontario, Canada and tries to phase with the southern stream system moving out of the central Plains into the MS Valley and eventually off the NC coastline.  There is no run to run continuity and there is no consensus on the eventual track of this system and potential phasing mechanisms.  The potential is there for any scenario.  If the Ontario PV lobe does end up moving this far south, around 41N or 40N in latitude, then the cold air will be in the picture, the ominous nature of where its origins are and the movement make this setup ominous and anomalous.  Therefore, the region this lobe is coming from, my guess until better sampling happens, we will not have any idea on the potential phasing end job that occurs.  In fact, the 00z ICON is so far off, there is no system in this time frame I mentioned!

• Weenie 2

45 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

That area of upper level low pressure is an arctic jet vorticity lobe that tries and phase with the 50/50 low and then into the southern stream trough that develops our coastal/ocean storm for Friday.  This low brings very cold air into the region, so if there is a phase, cold air is not an issue.

Another massive hit for SNE...................

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Another massive hit for SNE...................

odds never favor a massive storm.  So with that in hand, no we will likely not see a massive hit.  Just wait and see how this plays out, odds are the shortwave will not go where it needs to go for the area to get a widespread event.

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

odds never favor a massive storm.  So with that in hand, no we will likely not see a massive hit.  Just wait and see how this plays out, odds are the shortwave will not go where it needs to go for the area to get a widespread event.

Better odds of Nesmith going for 40 in the next C's game.........

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You want the ULL over New England either gone of further N and W if you're looking for a storm here.  All that's going to currently do is suppress the storm that's coming up the coast.

Yea. The orientation is not favorable as depicted. The northern stream kept getting pushed into eastern Canada over the past several cycles so it is most likely a whiff unless you’re in se zones, they (you) can get grazed.

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. The orientation is not favorable as depicted. The northern stream kept getting pushed into eastern Canada over the past several cycles so it is most likely a whiff unless you’re in se zones, they (you) can get grazed.

If it's further W, it may be able to draw that storm a bit closer along the coast line.  There may also be some OES/OER associate with any troughing between the 2 if they remain as modeled.

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Seems like I should have stuck to my gut and said second half of Jan. Anything before is gravy.

a optimistic way of saying anything before Jan 15 -20 looks like crap 

looks like a steady stream of lows maybe going over 37/70 , I don’t enjoy seeing those bc That just wastes a good period of East coast troughing

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

a optimistic way of saying anything before Jan 15 -20 looks like crap 

looks like a steady stream of lows maybe going over 37/70 . 

I definitely wouldn't rule something out prior, just the overall look. It's quite possible something sneaks in before 1/15. I think for me personally, I look forward to after the 12-15th or so.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I definitely wouldn't rule something out prior, just the overall look. It's quite possible something sneaks in before 1/15. I think for me personally, I look forward to after the 12-15th or so.

As I edited post, I just don’t like to see us waste a good period of East coast troughing with near hits . That pattern past 10 days is always changeable

I do get it , there is a reason or five that we don’t average 120 inches like I want lol