Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

7 hours ago, hlcater said:

E IA and far N IL should comfortably pass 1 month of continuous snowcover. Wonder when the last time that happened was. Has been awhile, that's for sure.

Yep, with a slight edit.  We barely hung on imby, until the current snowfall...and it was mainly in neighborhoods and sheltered areas.  The more urbanized areas and busier streets had a lot of bare spots.  I'm about 25 miles south of the WI border, as the crow flies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Pretty close to a foot of snow on the ground, with the bottom 4" a solid glacier with more snows on the way this weekend.  About as deep winter as it gets around these parts.

the script can flip in a hurry. The following Wednesday you'll have flooding concerns.

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Baum said:

Cary's call in deep jeopardy. Headed towards average,

I don't care if ORD was at 0.0, I always said January is too early to talk all time season futility. I mean the longer you go the more abysmal the winter itself will be, but for a place that can see accumulating snow easily into mid April and sometimes beyond, just too much can happen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Pretty close to a foot of snow on the ground, with the bottom 4" a solid glacier with more snows on the way this weekend.  About as deep winter as it gets around these parts.

Jealous. I know you were do after some lean years pre 2019(?) but you are making up now. Last saw over a foot of the ground here in Feb 2018.

18 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

-5 this morning, finally the first subzero of the season both here and at MLI.

:thumbsup:

3 here, coldest of the season. 

Some others...although it could have dropped lower intra-hour 6-7 AM.  I think all are the coldest of the season, except ORD was also 8 on Christmas morning.

ARR -3

RFD 0

DPA 2

DKB 2

JOT 6

ORD 8

18 minutes ago, madwx said:

Down to -7 this morning under clear and calm conditions.  Made it below zero before midnight so we get two days for good measure

:shiver: This is the level of cold I can do without and at times don't really understand the enthusiasm for from some on here, but if it only lasts a few days I can take it.

• Weenie 1

11 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Just need a few more inches of cover and it'd be a solid urban wintry pic. :)

Tell me about it lol. The snow is very thin especially in sunny spots where lots of grass can be seen, but it's crunchy. ive got my eye on Sunday. Wyandotte is quite suburban/small town but I live in a neighborhood with old houses where the front yards are very small and the backyards are big.

We even have coyotes lol, there been a lot spotted living along the railroad tracks. I took a walk during my lunch yesterday and I did see a few tracks

FB_IMG_1611924683640.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Tell me about it lol. The snow is very thin especially in sunny spots where lots of grass can be seen, but it's crunchy. ive got my eye on Sunday. Wyandotte is quite suburban/small town but I live in a neighborhood with old houses where the front yards are very small and the backyards are big.

We even have coyotes lol, there been a lot spotted living along the railroad tracks. I took a walk during my lunch yesterday and I did see a few tracks

FB_IMG_1611924683640.jpg

We have quite a few in our neighborhood. Pet owners always wary

FB_IMG_1611928195055.jpg

• Like 2

This latest system brings us up to about 19" for the season.  With 11-12" of  snow and ice on the ground we've done extremely well to conserve what we've received. 

The past two systems have pulled the rug out in the final 24-48hrs reducing consistently forecast snowfall amounts by 30-50%.  Getting pretty tired of that shit.  Hopefully the next system can at least perform as modeled within 48hrs.

• Sad 1

As frustrating as it has been getting largely missed by the last two storms and having a mostly dead first half of January, it at least feels like winter now. Monthly total is up to 11.7” and we have had a consistent 2-4” depth for the past week. Ready for a better February. Season total is some how 22.5”, as we have gotten a lot of 1-3.5” snowfalls. 

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

This latest system brings us up to about 19" for the season.  With 11-12" of  snow and ice on the ground we've done extremely well to conserve what we've received. 

The past two systems have pulled the rug out in the final 24-48hrs reducing consistently forecast snowfall amounts by 30-50%.  Getting pretty tired of that shit.  Hopefully the next system can at least perform as modeled within 48hrs.

I'm likely going to surpass you and break 20" for the season today, but snowcover retention has been absolutely awful here.  Just goes to show how the flavor of winter can differ in 2 places that aren't located terribly far from each other.