Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

5 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

I never like to bust a forecast, but figure if the bust is for less clouds than forecast, that would be appreciated by most given how cloudy it's been lately. You're probably in the minority lol and you get your clouds back today and probably through tomorrow too.  

I know Wednesday-Wednesday night looks mild ahead of the front, but I wouldn't lock in temps being able to rise that much yet. That kind of warmth aloft coming in will mean a sharp inversion locks in if there's existing cloud cover (which looks quite possible) and surface advection will be from over areas still with deeper snow cover. Wouldn't be surprised if forecast high temps bust low on Wednesday.

Yes, I'm quite confident most everyone else appreciated the sun! lol

Hope you're right about Wednesday. Concerned everything will get wiped out and then it will be cold and brown. The worst!

• Like 1

Looks like a few days of waiting then real cold and light snow possibilities on tap here. LES will really get cranking. Storm activity will return in a couple weeks with more real cold weather afterward again. Then stms, then cold n clippy then stms, etc. I'm not expecting quite as much my way because it looks like the stmy wx will be mostly south of me, with mainly clippers up here thru Feb. I might see one or two bigger snows, but you all south of me should have most of the fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartman said:

Dipped down to 20 degrees this morning, the coldest low so far this month. Gut feeling we may be writing off January soon.
image.png.f654a6871143161b45978b61f5e6fdce.png
Still very little snowfall through this month and no lows in the teens or below.

Thinking January is a write-off in my neck of the woods, as well, although we at least have a light snowpack on the ground, so it looks like winter , even if it doesn't feel much like it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

This is so weird that Chicago keeps getting snowflakes from smokestacks and airplanes but yet were not getting any flakes from Lake Michigan.

It is pretty bizarre. Working in aviation, we pay a lot of attention to cloud heights, depths and in-cloud temperatures. It would be hard to do a historical analysis, but we have seen this persistent pattern since late November where cloud depths are too shallow and warm for significant lake effect. At the same time, there has been an increased incidence of aircraft icing on their way in/out of ORD and MDW. These conditions are also what have led to the prevalence of aircraft- and industrial-effect snow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Wanna swap? I promise you're not missing much

Lol I know, my brother lives in Chicago (Lincoln park). On Christmas Eve about 20 minutes after it started snowing here he said, this is already more snow than I have seen all season in Chicago, lol.  December actually saw average snowfall here but it was entirely synoptic.  It is just strange that we usually manage to get mood flakes and squalls from the lake but we  have not gotten any yet this season. The actual west MI snow belts are having a near record slow start to the season. Yet who's getting the non synoptic snow? Chicago is, from airplanes and smokestacks:lol:

17 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Unless we get a blizzard of 99 and/or Feb is historic, nothing and I mean nothing, can redeem this shitty month. About to be 2 weeks of literally nada in the heart of winter. :yikes:

Several people have noted that big storm potential seems elevated in February. It would not surprise me in the least if we get slammed.  Does not necessarily make up for all this downtime though. If you like wire-to-wire Winter theres nothing that can save this zzz period. if you just like a good storm or active strerch tere is tons of time left for that.

• Like 3

Several people have noted that big storm potential seems elevated in February. It would not surprise me in the least if we get slammed.  Does not necessarily make up for all this downtime though. If you like wire-to-wire Winter theres nothing that can save this zzz period. if you just like a good storm or active strerch tere is tons of time left for that.
The upcoming pattern was described as looking similar to the second half of winter 18-19, except with a -NAO, on the New England forum. It could be worth the wait but certainly would have to be historic to make up for this very long boring stretch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Winter 18-19, we had our snowiest five-week period ever from mid Jan to mid Feb.  I picked up 44" during that insane period.  I'd gladly take a repeat.

It was continuously cold too. There were periods where we had a 24” depth which is basically impossible with this climo. 

36 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Made it up to 35 today with full sun.   The glacier laughed at it.  Some icicles fell off the gutters on the house though.

This is another example of why I like snow cover. I've seen double the snowfall you've seen this season yet yours locked into place ahead of this ridiculously boring pattern, while I've had bare ground with these overcast days where the high and low are a few degrees apart. Its been a very mild start to January but mainly because of the low temps. 

• Like 1