• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

As much as I love weather, what a depressing forecast. Visiting for 2 weeks it’s quite a shock to the system how cloudy and dreary this time of year is in the Midwest. You forget what it’s like to go days without sunshine, something that almost never happens here in Charleston.

Also that’s why snowstorms in general are awesome. You get the splendor of a storm, and then frigid sunshine behind it for days typically which is perfect for winter sports like pond hockey and cross country skiing.
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

As much as I love weather, what a depressing forecast. Visiting for 2 weeks it’s quite a shock to the system how cloudy and dreary this time of year is in the Midwest. You forget what it’s like to go days without sunshine, something that almost never happens here in Charleston.

Also that’s why snowstorms in general are awesome. You get the splendor of a storm, and then frigid sunshine behind it for days typically which is perfect for winter sports like pond hockey and cross country skiing.

You said it, my wife can hardly function right now. I have been back in lansing since dec 20th and have seen MAYBE 40 minutes of sun in that time. Shes flying back home on the 20th, I am planning on staying for the meteorological winter, but I might bug out too depending on the forecast.

Gonna be a very, very long 10 days. Even our NOAA forecaster was irritated by the lack of sun and weather events...

• Like 1

This has been such an amazing week of winter weather here. First the ice and snow on the 1st, then the surprise snow storm early yesterday morning and then the hoarfrost today. What a way to end a loooong stretch of boring winter weather in central IL! I hope those in central IN cash in sometime soon as well. It has yet to get above freezing here, and trees and branches are still falling!!

a1.thumb.jpg.c1d769c7059673f2d4f7e1f1b9a8f901.jpg

• Like 6

Every day since the 1st has brought vastly different scenery. Air temps hovered around freezing today, with dense fog setting in by early afternoon. Some melting of ice on the trees, but lots of it refreezing into longer icicles. Hoarfrost blends in with the ice and snow. Branches are still falling!!

cherry3.thumb.jpg.e6c21a5152acc8c63d0cc0e87a1fef17.jpg

• Like 8

Every day since the 1st has brought vastly different scenery. Air temps hovered around freezing today, with dense fog setting in by early afternoon. Some melting of ice on the trees, but lots of it refreezing into longer icicles. Hoarfrost blends in with the ice and snow. Branches are still falling!!

Legit looks like the tundra down there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fluoronium said:

Normally don't comment on pics, but that is awesome yet creepy.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

9 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Lowest temp of the season so far here is only 5 above.  No subzero temps in sight through mid month.  Def saving money on the ol' heating bill this winter.

You think that's bad...ORD has only had 2 days this season with a low temp colder than 18F.  You can't make this stuff up.

On 1/4/2021 at 11:56 PM, LansingWeather said:

You said it, my wife can hardly function right now. I have been back in lansing since dec 20th and have seen MAYBE 40 minutes of sun in that time. Shes flying back home on the 20th, I am planning on staying for the meteorological winter, but I might bug out too depending on the forecast.

Gonna be a very, very long 10 days. Even our NOAA forecaster was irritated by the lack of sun and weather events...

Yeah not an ideal weather pattern. To be fair though, the first 15 years of this century was mostly awesome, record setting winters. A few down ones is to be expected

• Like 3

Another dense fog advisory tonight.  The trees have been caked with rime/hoar frost for several days now.  Lost some of it yesterday, but last night it came back in force with the dense fog.  It didn't fall off at all today, and with more fog coming tonight it should only act to build it up even more.  Pretty crazy stretch we got here.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2021 at 11:56 PM, LansingWeather said:

Wonder what those NOAA forecasters think the suicide rates have been recently.

I can't remember the last time that we've had such a winter season snooze-fest.  It's been cloudy with highs in the mid 30's and lows in the mid 20's for the past four days and the forecast is the same here for the next seven days. There's usually a little surprise system that breaks up the monotony.