Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

50 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

I know enough that a -PNA sucks.  This one looks strong and steady for most of the month.

two globes showing pressure anomalies across the North Pacific and North America during the phases of the Pacific–North America pattern

Seriously though, with 4 out of 5 being favorable we might get the pna to at least be neutral. Or not. I do however believe the pattern shifts around Christmas. Will it shift in our favor? We'll find out soon enough. Until then, I will believe in southern snow, unicorns and faries :wub: 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

two globes showing pressure anomalies across the North Pacific and North America during the phases of the Pacific–North America pattern

Seriously though, with 4 out of 5 being favorable we might get the pna to at least be neutral. Or not. I do however believe the pattern shifts around Christmas. Will it shift in our favor? We'll find out soon enough. Until then, I will believe in southern snow, unicorns and faries :wub: 

Yes.  If we could just get the PNA to move to neutral, I think we could see some opportunities in the south.  There are some subtle signs that the PNA is moving toward neutral after next week.  Will it get there?  Who knows?

6 hours ago, ILMRoss said:

12z gfs says that there is no point really checking into this thread for a while unless you want to see some writhing and gnashing of teeth. see yall around christmas

For those that subscribe to the Joe Bastardi "snapback" theories (assuming they originated with him) this could have all the makings of one heckuva Jan/Feb.  We are tremendously short on precip and cold air.  If we cut the deficit on both at the same time, well, you know......:snowing::snowman:

Patterns change, and the GFS ain't spittin the truth, I'm just sayin'....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

Yeet

814temp.new.gif

After the rain from this weekend is out of here, next week will be absolutely perfect for being outside  :sun:     

FYI ~ Don't judge  :P  I'm just as depressed as you all are that winter is missing for the next two weeks  :(   

• Like 2

Looks like a storm around the 21-23 period then a real flip to winter. Could be a period with a western ridge and eastern trough so I think that week may need to be watched. The 21-23 storm may have some winter impacts but without a source of cold air before the system this will be a rainmaker likely. It usually takes a storm like that to flip the pattern here though… maybe some reason for optimism heading into end of the month tho 

• Like 2

NAO forecasts continue to show negative trends after next weekend while the PNA shows positive trends during the same time.  May just be a temporary trend or signs of a real pattern change.  At this point, it's about the only thing SE winter weather lovers can hope for...

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao_index_mrf.shtml

The BAMx weather guy seems bullish on it.  The reason I mention that is because over on 33andrain last year the posters were calling for the pattern change and BAMx was continually saying that isn't happening, to the point they sent out a tweet about folks calling them out on being wrong.  Turns out BAMx was right about the pattern last year so I'm taking more stock in their LR thinking this time around.

2 minutes ago, RT1980 said:

Why are the op runs so left and right? Not concerned with the snow or no snow but 6z to 12z run temps are day and night.  Below freezing then in the 60’s+.  What samples change that drastically in 6 hours?

Usually happens when there's a pattern change coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1