Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

1 hour ago, GunBlade said:

Maybe Mother Nature will have mercy on us and repeat 04 to hold everyone off for another 16 years before it happens again. 

360-EAC3-A-DE75-4-D39-B73-A-F2-E89-EE307

An amazing storm! I was living in High Point at the time. Heavy snow with thunder. A magical night I will never forget. 

28 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Serious question, if you had 3 options 
A) one 24-30” Storm with temps in teens and blowing snow but afterwards had a 3-5 yr SN Drought

B..) One 10-15” Storm and then a 2/3 yr drought 

c) Consistently 4/5 3-5” events per year but never more than 8” for a decade. 

B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PantherJustin said:

A) one 24-30” Storm with temps in teens and blowing snow but afterwards had a 3-5 yr SN Drought

Definitely C! 

2 hours ago, jburns said:

That’s my storm. I posted a few pictures yesterday. My house is right under the 20.

I wish I had pictures. I was right by the 16 in Union county. 

Thinking back to then and the decade leading up to it is depressing. We usually had one decent snow it seemed like. Had cold spells long enough to freeze the small lake in our neighborhood to walk on.

Now I have kids and can’t get a good enough snow to take them sledding one day....

It’s got to get better eventually right? LOL that’s what I tell myself every year at least. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PantherJustin said:

C but I was tempted to say A because that just sounds so amazing. But two years down the road without snow and I’d be in a bad place can’t imagine 3-5

5 hours ago, jburns said:

That’s my storm. I posted a few pictures yesterday. My house is right under the 20.

I lived in south Monroe at the time and we had 18" and no power for almost 2 weeks.  There was a smaller storm that Saturday, rain Sunday and then BOOM!

2 hours ago, wncsnow said:

C used to be the norm here not the exception 

Yes I'm a native of Asheville and growing up here fifties, sixties, seventies and eighties 4/5 --3-5 inch snowfalls was normal with some big dogs thrown in.  Our weather if your a snow lover has been terrible.  I'm hoping what goes around comes around and we get back into those good old days of winter weather.  :snowing::snowwindow:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wncsnow said:

C used to be the norm here not the exception 

This was my last decent snow. Dec 9, 2018.  Since then.....blah.

EDIT: I don’t know what the site did to my video but if you click on the mp4 it starts playing in a smaller window that you can enlarge.. At least it does for me.  Let me know if it doesn’t and I will delete the post.

convx264.mp4

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jburns said:

EDIT: I don’t know what the site did to my video but if you click on the mp4 it starts playing in a smaller window that you can enlarge.. At least it does for me.  Let me know if it doesn’t and I will delete the post.

convx264.mp4

I'm right there with you. This year has been mostly a tease here but nice to see snow falling. The video you shared is awesome. That was a great snow, I was living in Danville and they had 14 or 15 inches

1 hour ago, jburns said:

convx264.mp4

Nice job. Wish we had all this technology,wxboards from Jan 2000-March 2004. Those would be awesone to go back and see. Crusher,2002 epic ice storm and the Late Feb 2004 ULL mega dump.

8 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Found dandelions today! From the looks of it, Spring is finally starting after weeks of cold rain

surely not, let's have at least one descent snow storm before winter is over, WNC I know has a chance till around April 1, I have seen a good snow in April around Asheville.  :snowwindow:

• Like 1

Larry Cosgrove: As I have stated more than once, this winter would not be a walk in the park. Just as there is recovery for about a week after the "Texas Nightmare" storm system (which, face it, had huge national impacts as well), we inevitably will fall victim to other systems that will bring their own dose of harsh cold, snow, and ice. And I think I see that feature waiting in the wings over the central/eastern Pacific Ocean. Ensemble members last week showed a deeper low moving from southern Colorado to Virginia, then up along and off of the Eastern Seaboard. A pocket of colder air will link up with the circulation, implying that any rainfall associated with the low pressure area will turn to rain. I note that some of the numerical models show the snow potential way down in the Deep South, which is probably an indicator that the reach of the surface freeze line will drop close to the Interstate 10 corridor. Watch this feature, just in case.

Its over folks. Friday's fantasy is forgotten. We dont have the storm tracks or the cold working in our favor and by the time we see the action shift to the east coast in early March we lose due to avg temps and sun angle.  It will take a BIG dog to get anything at that point.  Fire up the spring thread and enjoy your 60's this week across the Carolinas.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1