• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

This could end up being a multi-day ice on ice event for some.  Very little melting going on. Tenths upon tenths of zr.  This long duration event would easily rival the tree damage I experienced back in 2002.  Pray for sleet but go ahead and buy your gennie now if you ever wanted one. This is U..G..L..Y! 
Not to mention the number 1 rule of winter

Models ALWAYS underestimate CAD and overdo WAA, I think even SC is going to hit the ice city bingo like the 0Z Euro showed

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

Just now, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

Would rather have cold rain than ice and sleet.

Sleet is fine - almost like snow  - but ice is not good - sleet will not destroy trees and cut power - ice will. I am fine with snow/sleet - but if it is freezing rain - then cold rain is much much preferred.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

Not to mention the number 1 rule of winter

Models ALWAYS underestimate CAD and overdo WAA, I think even SC is going to hit the ice city bingo like the 0Z Euro showed

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

I feel like this season they have underestimated so far... at least for the 2 CAD icing events we've had.

Before we really get absorbed into this I want everyone to take a really deep breath and think about how many different solutions guidance has thrown out at us in the 160-180hr range over the last week. It has been a kaleidoscope of possibilities. Current setup looks daunting but I’m not too perturbed... yet (I am eating all the seafood in my freezer this week though, just in case)

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Here in the triad, the CAD events so far this year have been less than impressive to say the least.  I'd say within the final 48 hours of the event, surface temps if anything verifies 1 or 2 degrees warmer than modeled.  We'll be dealing with different air this time - much denser and more apt to drain in.

TW

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Before we really get absorbed into this I want everyone to take a really deep breath and think about how many different solutions guidance has thrown out at us in the 160-180hr range over the last week. It has been a kaleidoscope of possibilities. Current setup looks daunting but I’m not too perturbed... yet (I am eating all the seafood in my freezer this week though, just in case)

I thought about that too, but decided if I get shut in, I’ll make a huge pot of my famous Frogmore stew  :wub:   

4 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

The extent and strength of the CAD.  I meant to say overestimated.

I can only remember one classic cad early on this winter with the rest being insitu. I’m probably wrong because I haven’t paid your area too much attention :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Am I the only person who actually would like an ice storm? Yes I lived thru 2002. I just like extreme weather 

I don’t mind one as long as it is under .30 of ice ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Am I the only person who actually would like an ice storm? Yes I lived thru 2002. I just like extreme weather 

If I didn’t have falling trees to worry about them probably. I rooted for hurricanes growing up on the coast as well.

That would be one heck of a sleet storm if the soundings are right. I remember getting about 1.5” of qpf as sleet a few years ago and it was wild. We ended up with like a 20” iceberg on the back deck from where the sleet would funnel down the roof.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Also tries hard to have mostly sleet N&W of 85 in the triad and triangle.

Maybe today the trend will be for a 2nd batch of precip building in during the early morning hours on Saturday. With the frigid airmass to our north slowly sinking in this would possibly lead to a lot of light freezing drizzle/sleet that might be more extensive than the models are detecting. 

1 minute ago, WXNewton said:

Maybe today the trend will be for a 2nd batch of precip building in during the early morning hours on Saturday. With the frigid airmass to our north slowly sinking in this would possibly lead to a lot of light freezing drizzle/sleet that might be more extensive than the models are detecting. 

It could definitely go that route. If you were going to ask me for a perfect scenario for a multi-day freezing drizzle event, this is pretty much it. Rare around these parts but so is the cold air