• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

This is anomalous cold air, even for the dead of winter.  The models will have a hard time handling such dense cold air.  I expect to see the models trend much colder as move through this week.  I think the models have trended colder in the 3-5 day range for the last 60 days.  The problem until now has been that there's been little cold air to work with.  The cold air coming now will be a whole different animal.  Tapping regions with dew points in the teens (since back in early December) is totally different than tapping regions with dew points below zero.

I think if nothing else, the dense nature of the cold air will lead to alot of ice, and not just in CAD areas. 

TW

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WXNewton said:

Wouldn't take much adjustment to make that map look a little better. I think this time frame will trend colder for sure so we shall see.  

22 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

You would think with what looks like a good High Pressure to the North?

1034 is just barely workable. Placement would have to be perfect 

Just now, tarheelwx said:

Totally agree here.  I've seen 1020 get it done before (but not by much).  

TW

Yeah i think 1034 can get it done, especially if it would happen to drop on in to Western NY or Western PA around that time. I like the look of the reinforcing highs building into the Midwest as well. Only time will tell but I could definitely see a few more degrees as the models tend to struggle with this dense air mass and should correct more as we get into tomorrow and Wednesday. I really like the Sun-Tuesday timeframe, I believe we could see some major CAD sinking exceptionally far south.

1 minute ago, NorthHillsWx said:

For the triangle (Raleigh) area we need ever mb we can get as we’re not a favored CAD location. It was more of an imby post but agreed it’s enough to work if placement is correct 

Yes, for us (greater Raleigh area), you need a strong High or super dry air at the onset.  Geographically we are at the eastern extent of most of your CAD scenarios (with freezing temps).

1 hour ago, tarheelwx said:

This is anomalous cold air, even for the dead of winter.  The models will have a hard time handling such dense cold air.  I expect to see the models trend much colder as move through this week.  I think the models have trended colder in the 3-5 day range for the last 60 days.  The problem until now has been that there's been little cold air to work with.  The cold air coming now will be a whole different animal.  Tapping regions with dew points in the teens (since back in early December) is totally different than tapping regions with dew points below zero.

I think if nothing else, the dense nature of the cold air will lead to alot of ice, and not just in CAD areas. 

TW

Agreed 100%.  The Cincinnati forecast has been also trending colder all week this week and the local tv met last night was even talking about the cold press into the south.  I suppose it's possible the trajectory takes it into TX/LA instead of the SE, but the cold pool is definitely there.  Highs in the teens here by late week, single digit lows.  I'll get my fill of snow up here this week as we have it every day in the forecast at present.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

FWIW , the ICON is an ICE Storm for the CAD areas Friday/Saturday

Yes, just now looked at that. ICON seemed to do really well with the weekend storm, maybe it's on to something. It actually dropped temps in the Catawba Valley area about 4-5 degrees from 6z.

1 minute ago, BornAgain13 said:

What is taking place? Is the High trending stronger or is the storm taking a more southern track?

Well, you've got a decently strong high pressure(1036MB) centered over snow covered land plus it's close to some very cold air. It's a pretty classic look. I could see this trending colder and colder.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Well, you've got a pretty strong high pressure(1038MB) centered over snow covered land plus it's close to some very cold air. It's a pretty classic look.

Also like the deep snow pack to the north, I said yesterday that might really help us in the long run. I mean it's been a while since we've had a decent high pressure building in over deep snow pack. Last good CAD I remember over really good snowpack was back in Jan 22 2016, seems like Catawba County was in the low 20s most of the storm.