Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

29 minutes ago, msuwx said:

While people have been complaining about cold being delayed over and over and over again this winter, we’ve had a consistently cool winter, zero blowtorches, a couple of minor events, and a mountain ski/ snow season that’s the best in several years. 

There are also consistently a couple of posters who have declared winter over multiple times and that no more flakes would fall at XYZ location. It gets tiresome.

We have not scored a major snowstorm in a lot of places for quite a while, and I get it and feel the frustration as well. But the whining about this winter is completely unjustified to this point.

I am on two hours sleep and a little punchy, so forgive me. Ha ha

Good post

Greensboro is BN Dec,Jan and now almost -3 Feb. 4 events with flakes. Pitfall is they all 4 total like 1.5.. But still way better than seasonal forecsat issued late Nov.

• Like 1

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

I do not think it is all liquid ***in this set up*** and longer range models are notoriously poor at picking up CAD. Definitely not a lock to be a rain event as depicted on the models. Need to watch this 

It's not appropriate to judge what the exact p-type will be this far out. That is a clear CAD signature with a Miller A on the GFS. It's also depicted on the Euro. 

ecmwf_mslpa_us_5.png

• Thanks 1

Even though the euro didn’t pan out at day 8/9... it’s still a great look. It advances the Canadian vortex, brings the cold and locked in wedging... only problem is the next system crashing in to the Pacific is super strong and slow moving and doesn’t quite here in time. It’s on island with that strong of a pacific system plowing in to the incredible confluence over the continent and I doubt it plays out that way. All I care about is that it delivered the cold and confluence this run. I bet the ensemble mean will be nice, Game on

2 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Wut? This pattern is the best you can hope for to avoid cutters and rain. 

Not sure what model you are looking at but I don't see a snowy pattern on the Euro or Canadian, GFS is a bit better but all the models are very inconsistent right now. Better to just check in every few days to watch the trends 

4 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Not sure what model you are looking at but I don't see a snowy pattern on the Euro or Canadian, GFS is a bit better but all the models are very inconsistent right now. Better to just check in every few days to watch the trends 

Assuming the cold/confluence ejects East like the euro/gfs show we will have a long duration time frame with arctic sourced cold air, a damming high, and where it will be very difficult for a system to cut. 

then it’s just a matter of getting a pacific system to eject within that 2-3 day window.

it’s a very wide goal post set up, about as good as you can get. Doesn’t mean it’ll pan out but you have to like the look( assuming the arctic airmass doesn’t dump out west like the Canadian shows). 

• Like 1

Model trends:

GFS: positive, several winter events and close calls. Probably most consistent modeling of late 

EURO: Most improved player award. Gets arctic air in. Great CAD look for Thursday/Friday system then a follow up system w/potential before arctic air moves in

Canadian: dumpster fire, no sugarcoating it 

ICON: improved. CAD signature and trended colder towards end of run

11 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Assuming the cold/confluence ejects East like the euro/gfs show we will have a long duration time frame with arctic sourced cold air, a damming high, and where it will be very difficult for a system to cut. 

then it’s just a matter of getting a pacific system to eject within that 2-3 day window.

it’s a very wide goal post set up, about as good as you can get. Doesn’t mean it’ll pan out but you have to like the look( assuming the arctic airmass doesn’t dump out west like the Canadian shows). 

I can sense the renewed enthusiasm now that you’ve had your snowstorm this season haha 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Trying to stay positive before the Euro sends everyone over the cliff in a couple hours. Did throw the “lol” in for good measure...

I do think we have a chance especially with total model mayhem atm. We tend to do much better when snow shows up in the 2-3 day window than a long ways out on the models anyway. Give me some arctic air nearby and good HP placement and let the rest work itself out **takes sip of bourbon.

I apologize I am rather salty today too

• Like 3

Model trends:
GFS: positive, several winter events and close calls. Probably most consistent modeling of late 
EURO: Most improved player award. Gets arctic air in. Great CAD look for Thursday/Friday system then a follow up system w/potential before arctic air moves in
Canadian: dumpster fire, no sugarcoating it 
ICON: improved. CAD signature and trended colder towards end of run
*Canadian Ensemble good

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don’t like the “models have no idea what’s going on” line. I think sometimes that line is used as a crutch and a bit of a copout. That being said... good lord the models are absolutely struggling. I think it’s a mixture of less airplane data + very amplified pattern, where any model errors will matter further in the run more so than usual.

I don’t really know how to interpret this and I’m not jealous of mets assigned to figure this out. Instead of “siding” with a model or camp, I think the appropriate thing to do is just to sit back for a few more cycles and see if models key in on anything. While the gfs is an outlier, we seem to be able to summon CAD a little easier than usual this winter and I wouldn’t be shocked to see a CAD-driven mess materialize out of the hazy ether that the 12z guidance left us with.

I’d like to wait a few days to see what the polar vortex is actually going to do.  I am more pessimistic at this point but living run to run has proved futile this year.  Wobbles east and west remind me of Hurricane tracking.  Models suck this year but have seemed to trend better within 48h