Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

3 hours ago, Orangeburgwx said:

Oz EURO and EPS were a flaming dumpster fire

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

Yep. That’s a cancel winter run. Good news is GFS and Canadian actually have trended better though still waiting on the 7-10 day cold. Feels like we’ve been there before...

eta: end of 0z Canadian run is pretty awesome to watch the CAD signal move in 

53 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I am pretty sure if you are in the Triangle it is time to face the facts that it is over. You usually don't see a "make up storm" after a near miss that is for sure. East of the mountains there are usually only a couple of chances a year so I think that was it. Time to punch out and move on to severe season.

I’m pretty sure you didn’t need to say the same thing in three separate threads :rolleyes:  Keep the whining in the appropriate place <_< 

• Like 10

Just now, BooneWX said:

The signal is there for cold and shots at snow, why is everyone cliff diving? Of course the models aren’t going to be consistent. They’re missing half their data.

I think it’s the constant delaying of the cold  that kills hope. It seems like a mirage at this point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

I think it’s the constant delaying of the cold  that kills hope. It seems like a mirage at this point.

Oh I agree entirely. I just think it’s hard to say definitively that it’s 7 days out, 10 days out or 5 days out. The last two snowfalls for this forum weren’t even on anyone’s radar up until 48 hrs before go time. Goes to show that it’s not worth stressing over anything past hour 100, and that might even be stretching it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

Oh I agree entirely. I just think it’s hard to say definitively that it’s 7 days out, 10 days out or 5 days out. The last two snowfalls for this forum weren’t even on anyone’s radar up until 48 hrs before go time. Goes to show that it’s not worth stressing over anything past hour 100, and that might even be stretching it.

And the last 2 snowfalls occurred with zero arctic air nearby. Now we at least have it within striking distance. We are not far off from a good thing even with some model differences on storm placement over the next two weeks. Nothing says we aren’t in the game even some of these dumpster fire runs 

• Like 1

While people have been complaining about cold being delayed over and over and over again this winter, we’ve had a consistently cool winter, zero blowtorches, a couple of minor events, and a mountain ski/ snow season that’s the best in several years. 

There are also consistently a couple of posters who have declared winter over multiple times and that no more flakes would fall at XYZ location. It gets tiresome.

We have not scored a major snowstorm in a lot of places for quite a while, and I get it and feel the frustration as well. But the whining about this winter is completely unjustified to this point.

I am on two hours sleep and a little punchy, so forgive me. Ha ha

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, eyewall said:

You must be new here.

Trying to stay positive before the Euro sends everyone over the cliff in a couple hours. Did throw the “lol” in for good measure...

I do think we have a chance especially with total model mayhem atm. We tend to do much better when snow shows up in the 2-3 day window than a long ways out on the models anyway. Give me some arctic air nearby and good HP placement and let the rest work itself out **takes sip of bourbon.

• Like 1

If I recall, the winter storm we had last night was not picked up by models until 4-5 days in advance. Less planes = Less accurate results. 

The COVID-19 pandemic is not only having an impact on ECMWF as an organisation. The measures taken to contain it have led to a marked drop in the availability of some types of Earth system observations, especially aircraft-based observations. Such observations help us to accurately determine the state of the Earth system at the start of forecasts. Studies carried out at ECMWF have shown that, without aircraft-based observations, the quality of forecasts at cruising altitude can drop by up to 15%. The quality of near-surface weather predictions can also go down, by up to about 3%.

https://www.ecmwf.int/en/newsletter/163/editorial/ecmwf-and-covid-19

1 minute ago, msuwx said:

While people have been complaining about cold being delayed over and over and over again this winter, we’ve had a consistently cool winter, zero blowtorches, a couple of minor events, and a mountain ski/ snow season that’s the best in several years. 

There are also consistently a couple of posters who have declared winter over multiple times and that no more flakes would fall at XYZ location. It gets tiresome.

We have not scored a major snowstorm in a lot of places for quite a while, and I get it and feel the frustration as well. But the whining about this winter is completely unjustified to this point.

Right, most of us have avoided a shut out and it’s felt like winter almost every day. I think we’ll get a storm. A lot to be ironed out over the next week but cold air has moved to this side of the pole and it’s within reason, especially with the southern jet remaining anomalously active, that we can get timing right on a storm to link up. The fact it’s already snowed in a crap pattern shows we shouldn’t get down to this point

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WeatherWeenie87 said:

I'm amazed nobody is talking about the system for next week! Banana 1050+ High!

gfs_mslpa_us_15.png

I do not think it is all liquid ***in this set up*** and longer range models are notoriously poor at picking up CAD. Definitely not a lock to be a rain event as depicted on the models. Need to watch this