Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

49 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

If you think about it the GFS makes sense in the fact that Ninas love to pop a SE ridge in February historically. It's a battle between that and the -AO, NAO

Doing the long range stuff down in the SE has pissed me off the last week.  The GFS had a low of 9 in Atlanta this coming Sunday morning now we’re about 25° warmer.  The tendency that we’ve been seeing is that at about day 7 to 10 the models have been verifying too cold in the SE but then they often windshield wiper and go too warm in the 4-7 day range.  Places like South Carolina and Georgia the models went way too warm for tomorrow through Monday on their over correction.  Those places will be wedged on Monday now.  I’ve seen forecasts for ATL and GSP in the last 10 days for Monday 2/8 go from highs of 35 to 65 back to 48

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Doing the long range stuff down in the SE has pissed me off the last week.  The GFS had a low of 9 in Atlanta this coming Sunday morning now we’re about 25° warmer.  The tendency that we’ve been seeing is that at about day 7 to 10 the models have been verifying too cold in the SE but then they often windshield wiper and go too warm in the 4-7 day range.  Places like South Carolina and Georgia the models went way too warm for tomorrow through Monday on their over correction.  Those places will be wedged on Monday now.  I’ve seen forecasts for ATL and GSP in the last 10 days for Monday 2/8 go from highs of 35 to 65 back to 48

Watching broadcast mets have to backtrack has been interesting 

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

Watching broadcast mets have to backtrack has been interesting 

I think what’s happening is models are simply underplaying the SE ridge at day 7 and beyond as they have now for several winters, then they’re correcting but due to the -NAO the correction is being overdone 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think what’s happening is models are simply underplaying the SE ridge at day 7 and beyond as they have now for several winters, then they’re correcting but due to the -NAO the correction is being overdone 

Not sure I like the sound of that down here in piedmont caroline  :unsure:

Hate to say it, but we now have 6 days to reel this one back in. Knew it was too good to be even 1/100th true. That SE ridge just shuns the arctic air. Obviously still a ton of time for it to change but there are now very valid reason to believe we rain several times with places west of the apps going below zero. Gut punch today. So is life in the south 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Hate to say it, but we now have 6 days to reel this one back in. Knew it was too good to be even 1/100th true. That SE ridge just shuns the arctic air. Obviously still a ton of time for it to change but there are now very valid reason to believe we rain several times with places west of the apps going below zero. Gut punch today. So is life in the south 

If the Euro is correct the cold never really comes at all the next 10 days. Instead we get the insult to injury of rain after rain after rain

10 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

If the Euro is correct the cold never really comes at all the next 10 days. Instead we get the insult to injury of rain after rain after rain

It’ll get here at the end of March like it always does. Seriously though as has been said the cold holding back like this is not at all unusual. And it does usually get here eventually. It’s just torture after some of the runs this week.

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

You may be on to something here.  If so the behavior seems to be following suit with these latest runs.  If there is some correction at the 4-day mark, back to an equilibrium of sorts I sense a 33 and rain for a lot of NC next weekend with perhaps a little ice/sleet to the north and western sections of NC and upstate SC. [w/snow in mtns of course] 

Been the theme here all winter. - "Look kids! Big Ben, Parliament!"

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

I think @SnowGoose69 called it perfectly and the Euro is doing exactly what he noted with the models over-correcting to the SE ridge in the 4-7 day time period and we'll see it go back to a more reasonable solution in between the extremes over the coming days.

Even the 12Z GEFS wasn’t that slow.  I expect the EPS won’t be anywhere near as warm next Wednesday to Saturday as that Op Euro was