• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

We really, really suck at snow if we get a 1043 high over Lake Superior with behemoth cold air, and working perfectly in tandem with a coastal Miller A, and end up with ice (Euro run)

Having said that, the Euro was a good run and went in the direction we want to go. Much better than the UKMET 

EPS Mean brings the bulk of the precip thru earlier, on Friday

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

We really, really suck at snow if we get a 1043 high over Lake Superior with behemoth cold air, and working perfectly in tandem with a coastal Miller A, and end up with ice (Euro run)

Having said that, the Euro was a good run and went in the direction we want to go. Much better than the UKMET 

EPS Mean brings the bulk of the precip thru earlier, on Friday

EPS was almost cold enough for snow to be the dominant ptype.

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

Either the GFS is a terrible model or we’re going to end up getting 2 rain storms along the east coast with a cold high in between during a big -AO / -NAO

They aren’t even borderline rains either. GFS has us (Raleigh) near 70 on Friday. In fact, it fails to ever break containment over the mountains with the arctic air. In one frame, it’s below 0 through West Virginia and above freezing in central NC. I’m siding with terrible model 

• Like 1

I woke up and ran the 6z gfs, and my heart sank, but I was revitalized by the euro and it’s ensembles. Can’t stress enough how important it is for euro ens to be on our side. At this range Euro Ens. in terms of reliability is the current day lakers, and the gfs is the current day unranked UNC team. If that makes any sense (I need to phase out all these sports analogies)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ILMRoss said:

I woke up and ran the 6z gfs, and my heart sank, but I was revitalized by the euro and it’s ensembles. Can’t stress enough how important it is for euro ens to be on our side. At this range Euro Ens. in terms of reliability is the current day lakers, and the gfs is the current day unranked UNC team. If that makes any sense (I need to phase out all these sports analogies)

The Euro/Euro ENS are the globetrotters. The GFS is the generals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Euro/Euro ENS are the globetrotters. The GFS is the generals. 

There’s a lot of ways to skin this cat. Right now I would trust the euro ens to watch my cats and feed them on time, and I wouldn’t trust the gfs to do that.

This will be my only other piece of anecdotal wishy washy analysis today. But feel like the gfs does this a lot (I think it had a few runs when it rammed dec 2018 up mid Atlantic to New England) where it runs storms way too far inland in the long range and gives us heart attacks, only for other models to soothe us. That’s where my thinking is right now and the gfs is not affecting my psyche.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

There’s a lot of ways to skin this cat. Right now I would trust the euro ens to watch my cats and feed them on time, and I wouldn’t trust the gfs to do that.

This will be my only other piece of anecdotal wishy washy analysis today. But feel like the gfs does this a lot (I think it had a few runs when it rammed dec 2018 up mid Atlantic to New England) where it runs storms way too far inland in the long range and gives us heart attacks, only for other models to soothe us. That’s where my thinking is right now and the gfs is not affecting my psyche.

I will be interested in the 12z suites for sure and look forward to everyone’s thoughts.

11 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Let’s just Hope this storm Doesn’t end up being Dennis Smith Jr or Ryan Leaf 

• Haha 1

Interesting local forecast on Wunderground for Wake County snow . Really shows the reloading going on next weekend:

Thursday Night - 1"

Friday 1-3"

Friday Night - 1"

Saturday - 0"

Saturday Night - 0"

Sunday - 1-3"

Sunday Night - 1"

Monday - 0"

Monday Night - 1-3"

Tuesday - 1-3"

Tuesday Night - Flurries

Whatever they use to generate their forecast is definitely seeing possibility after possibility in the 10 day.

26 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Poor Heels... as a Clemson alum and having won 3 of the last 4 over them, I think we can declare ourselves a better basketball school

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Agree, the GFS does tend to run storms north a lot in the long range...it's a complete flip of its bias from the old days where it would suppress storms so much.  Here's the infamous GFS run that sent the storm to Cuba that ended up hitting central GA > SC > SE NC big in Feb 2010

Feb-12-2010.jpg

• Confused 1