Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

2 hours ago, BullCityWx said:

I think if you dig into the sounding a bit more, it may be more of a sleet than freezing rain event for north of 40. 

Heck I hope most of the 1.5million in the Triangle get in on the sleet more so than a crushing ice storm.  A nice <.20 ice--to-heavy sleet-to-snow storm would be ok.

4 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Generally thinking that the store brand version of this event is that late January event we had in 2014; Raleigh got about 2 inches of pixie dust, Wilmington got 2 inches of sleet.

Not sure of this orientation relating to our up and comer next weekend.

Q0EChvaVfdwd1ATpe2H8YUkdFAY-xgxzQZngRAOK

3 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

I was living in Greenville at the time for this storm. A lot more sleet than forecast and the changeover took forever but it was a great storm regardless. That was an awesome winter. I think we had 3-4 good events and it was COLD! Snowed in March too that year 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

That was an event that was sniffed out really far in advance, and had some absolutely radical clown maps... Coastal plains getting blasted with 20-30 inches for a few runs. Cantore went down to Charleston for an ice storm, but i think he got cold rain. The orientation may be different, but in terms of long duration, plume of moisture ahead of a positively tilted trough with arctic air bleeding in, i think it's a decent match.

5 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

That was an event that was sniffed out really far in advance, and had some absolutely radical clown maps... Coastal plains getting blasted with 20-30 inches for a few runs. Cantore went down to Charleston for an ice storm, but i think he got cold rain. The orientation may be different, but in terms of long duration, plume of moisture ahead of a positively tilted trough with arctic air bleeding in, i think it's a decent match.

Seems like that was the case fairly close to the event as well, inside of 72 hrs either the Euro or the NAM was pasting us still.....was so frustrating watching heavy sleet for hours knowing it was costing me a lot of potential snow. 

8 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Seems like that was the case fairly close to the event as well, inside of 72 hrs either the Euro or the NAM was pasting us still.....was so frustrating watching heavy sleet for hours knowing it was costing me a lot of potential snow. 

I remember the frustration. It didn’t switch over until well past dark. It was a weird storm too, temps well into the 20’s and sleeting for hours. It was almost a powdery sleet, if there was such a thing

4 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I remember the frustration. It didn’t switch over until well past dark. It was a weird storm too, temps well into the 20’s and sleeting for hours. It was almost a powdery sleet, if there was such a thing

Was this the one in the Triangle where we had -zr for awhile and then it went over to heavy sleet before that freezing rain accumulated too much?  Seems I recall that evening praying for the switchover which finally came so no power hits 

1 hour ago, jrips27 said:

Wider ZR view of the whole region. Ouch

BD379AFA-A10C-4678-A1F9-172CFD54D28F.png

Euro paints a pattern similar to late Jan/Feb of 96. Full scale arctic blast with overrunning on the SE side for the entire SE.... Really hard to get this to happen, so we need to reel this in to at least inside 7 days bf getting excited. This has more of mid 1990s look to it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Euro paints a pattern similar to late Jan/Feb of 96. Full scale arctic blast with overrunning on the SE side for the entire SE.... Really hard to get this to happen, so we need to reel this in to at least inside 7 days bf getting excited. This has more of mid 1990s look to it.

I just thought the same thing! Feb 2, 1996 was the worst ice storm I remember in Catawba County. Trees popped all night long was without power for 8-9 days and temps got down near zero a day or 2 after the storm and had several inches of snow on the very end. That was the storm that had me hooked on winter weather. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WXNewton said:

I just thought the same thing! Feb 2, 1996 was the worst ice storm I remember in Catawba County. Trees popped all night long was without power for 8-9 days and temps got down near zero a day or 2 after the storm and had several inches of snow on the very end. That was the storm that had me hooked on winter weather. 

Yeah its #1 on my storm list. That's why some healthy skepticism is need for now. If we're still seeing this solution next week, it will be time to honk.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WXNewton said:

This was northern Catawba County Feb '96

78678EE3-835A-4E15-9A42-8E1BF45E4B28_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f7327baeb32a593f2a647607036f413f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, avianman said:

This was northern Catawba County Feb '96

78678EE3-835A-4E15-9A42-8E1BF45E4B28_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f7327baeb32a593f2a647607036f413f.jpeg

Gave me goosebumps looking at this picture. I remember the mattresses in our house froze. That was a scary storm, I didn't sleep for 2 nights because of all the pine trees popping around the house. My dad worked for the DOT and he didn't come home for days. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WXNewton said:

Gave me goosebumps looking at this picture. I remember the mattresses in our house froze. That was a scary storm, I didn't sleep for 2 nights because of all the pine trees popping around the house. My dad worked for the DOT and he didn't come home for days. 

That is why a $500 investment in a generator is so worth it, even if its only used every other year!

• Like 2