Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

32 minutes ago, griteater said:

Without a doubt.  The hope is Miller A, but think Miller B is the bigger threat (if something does in fact work out)

Grit

I've got a question.

I was born in 70.

Maybe it's just child romanticism but was there not times in the 70's & early 80's when it was cold coast to coast? ( Except maybe SoCal or S Fla)

Say 77, 79, & Christmas 82?

If so what were those indicies that allowed it to be cold continental 48?

And can we not have those setups now?

42 minutes ago, Grayman said:

Does anybody know anything about Pow weather? Saw a interesting YouTube video about how favorable the MJO is going to be the 2nd week of February. I don’t know anything about him but his videos on YouTube . Any opinions on MJO? I’m reading up but truly do not understand it.

The core concept with the MJO that is of most interest to us deals with the location of enhanced convection (thunderstorm activity) in the tropics.  In a nutshell, enhanced tropical convection from the Eastern Indian Ocean, across Indonesia, and into the Western Pacific is La Nina-like and tends to favor +EPO and -PNA patterns (this is MJO Phases 3-4-5-6).  Enhanced tropical convection (or related upper level patterns) outside of those regions from the Central Pacific > Eastern Pacific > Atlantic is El Nino-like and tends to favor +PNA patterns (this is MJO Phases 7-8-1-2).  The pattern associated with each MJO phase can vary some at different times of the winter.  

Currently, the convection in Indonesia and the Western Pacific has calmed down, so it's better than it has been, and may be why we are seeing the improved ridging in the NE Pacific and up thru Alaska, but I don't think we are going to see the MJO make a circuit thru the El Nino like phases (7-8-1-2) anytime soon based on what I see and read.

Take a look at this blog article which gives a good summary about how the location of tropical convection affects weather patterns - https://blog.timesunion.com/weather/how-el-nino-influences-our-weather/1247/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Billypg70 said:

Grit

I've got a question.

I was born in 70.

Maybe it's just child romanticism but was there not times in the 70's & early 80's when it was cold coast to coast? ( Except maybe SoCal or S Fla)

Say 77, 79, & Christmas 82?

If so what were those indicies that allowed it to be cold continental 48?

And can we not have rose setups now?

'79 was similar to the period we have coming up, -PNA / -NAO.  I did some stats a few years ago and that winter had twice as much wintry precip in Charlotte compared to any other winter back to 1970 (combined snow and ice, not just snow alone).  But yes, -PNA / -NAO (some -EPO as well) would be the way to get the full lower 48 cold.

1979.png

1970 and 1977 were both +PNA with -AO / -NAO (Weak El Ninos)....we haven't had this type of pattern in our recent Weak El Ninos (climate change related??)

1970.png

1977.png

Yeah that 60's to 70's period simply had some cold patterns in a colder era.  Climate change may have some affect on how common it is these days for those types of patterns to setup

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been doing a little personal project to keep tabs on the GEFS ensemble mean temperature forecast for my area, using the maps available o Tropical Tidbits.  

I am using this data point in the "Eastern U.S." region view, as it is closest to me.

image.thumb.png.db8a5c70047f3cad98dea0a444fe48a8.png

I am keeping a running log of the 2m temp forecast at 18Z (1 PM) day by day.  I just noted very large swing to cold in the long in the day 6 - 16 period between the Jan 31 18Z forecast and the Feb 1 18Z forecast.  Of particular note is the Feb 10 - 13 period.  Direct comparison is shown below.

Jan 31 18Z                Feb 1 18Z                        Delta

Feb 10                      54                                32                                    -22

Feb 11                      65                                35                                    -30

Feb 12                      67                                29                                    -38

Feb 13                      71                                39                                    -32

Overall, the average forecast 2m Temperature for 18Z dropped by 11 °F in the Day 6 - 10 period and by 17.5 °F for the Day 11 - 15 period.

Here is a graph

image.png.829bf54279b1682417fa4b31b0bcdcf8.png

It should go without saying that this forecast will probably moderate but I thought it was a significant signal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Snow Depth 0z GFS Para for the system after Super Bowl Sunday. A good chunk of this is ICE in NC/SCScreenshot_20210202-001822_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I’m not getting the same thing. Is that Sunday’s storm or are you including the Wednesday Thursday storm too

10 hours ago, benjammin said:

Anyone on this board around to remember the February 1973 blizzard that dumped 2 feet of snow in some parts of South Carolina and snow from Florida to Va Beach? It must have been epic. https://www.weather.gov/ilm/Feb1973Snow

Yes, Lived in Fayettnam at the time..  I was about 10.. Had a 1/2 mile street too sled down on,,  never forget it.. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

I had a feeling that "historic" cold for Monday was too far out.   GFS still has us below normal, but nothing historic at all.  High temps above freezing.  
I don't have access to Euro for comparison.

GFS went from the coldest in years -3 in Asheville to not even coldest of the season 16. Not that I care if it is that cold, but I do want it cold enough to snow. 

• Like 1