Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

2 hours ago, griteater said:

We haven't reached the finish line, but indeed, the GFS was not dead right (posted the above when DC was getting crushed with snow on the GFS).

The GFS has actually performed pretty well over the past 10 years with our winter storm threats (as documented in the model performance thread, wherever the heck it is buried).  But what I suspect is going on here is that the Euro and UKMet combo are getting back to their glory days a bit this winter (especially the Euro) given the blocky patterns we've seen at times over the North Atlantic / Greenland / Eastern Canada...just think that the Euro is better equipped to handle those setups.

As far as this side of the mountains, particularly the Cumberlands, the Canadian Suite has outperformed the others overall this Winter.

• Like 2

As I scroll through the last 2-3 pages of posts catching up, many folks here are simply piecing together the best attributes of many disparate model runs and calling it a forecast.  There is another common term used here.......wishcasting!  From marginal temps to timing to track there are many things insufficient to support a meaningful snow event with this setup.  I wouldn't want to be in the "I got my hopes up" camp after this one.  2.4" way down into the sandhills with no cold air source?  6" in south Wake?  C'mon son, it's time to kiss da baby.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

As I scroll through the last 2-3 pages of posts catching up that many folks here are simply piecing together the best attributes of many disparate model runs and calling it a forecast.  There is another common term used here.......wishcasting!  From marginal temps to timing to track there are many things insufficient to support a meaningful snow event with this setup.  I wouldn't want to be in the "I got my hopes up" camp after this one.  2.4" way down into the sandhills with no cold air source?  6" in south Wake?  C'mon son, it's time to kiss da baby.

I don't think anyone here is really believing that at least not in this thread anyway.

Just now, PackGrad05 said:

If the NAM verifies with the wedge tomorrow and temperatures in northern/central NC don't get quite as high as originally predicted, that would bode better for temperatures cooling off quicker wednesday night 

Yeah, I just saw what @Grayman posted regarding the NAM temp forecast.  I agree this is a plausible scenario.  I'm just not buying it this go round.  This has 35 and rain written all over it.  Even during the Jan 8th event we ended up 2-3 degrees above forecast here in the triad and only for a brief moment did rates overcome temps.  And I think the NAM was off on that one within 24 hours as well, assuming my memory serves me correctly.

6 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

As I scroll through the last 2-3 pages of posts catching up, many folks here are simply piecing together the best attributes of many disparate model runs and calling it a forecast.  There is another common term used here.......wishcasting!  From marginal temps to timing to track there are many things insufficient to support a meaningful snow event with this setup.  I wouldn't want to be in the "I got my hopes up" camp after this one.  2.4" way down into the sandhills with no cold air source?  6" in south Wake?  C'mon son, it's time to kiss da baby.

I don’t think anyone on this board south of VA border expects anything other than token flakes at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Gosh man you’re not kidding. I was so all about it a couple nights ago but the models really have put a sour taste in my mouth. I’d be shocked to even see 2” at this point

30 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Yeah, I just saw what @Grayman posted regarding the NAM temp forecast.  I agree this is a plausible scenario.  I'm just not buying it this go round.  This has 35 and rain written all over it.  Even during the Jan 8th event we ended up 2-3 degrees above forecast here in the triad and only for a brief moment did rates overcome temps.  And I think the NAM was off on that one within 24 hours as well, assuming my memory serves me correctly.

This one has been over for me since Friday. They said air mass is way to warm to support big snow but those northern areas could see a brief period of snow As precipitation ends.  I  was afraid of a weenie attack if I posted that . Lol

1 minute ago, PackGrad05 said:

The 18Z GFS was trying to show something for Feb. 7.  Low off the coast and high pressure in a somewhat favorable position, but weak 1030

I saw that. I think the storyline for this winter will be we can’t get the cold in our area. I think Western NC and mountains might score but I’m sticking a fork in winter( at least until I see my next weenie run) lol