Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

1 hour ago, BornAgain13 said:

6z EPS looks like it would be a solid hit for northern NC points north...Screenshot_20210122-082744_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Still far out as most have noted, but the system timing at present is overnight Wednesday.  Just one more check mark in favor of accumulations if this pans out.  These are some great looking ducks, and they happen to be on a pond.

:popcorn:

Every little bit helps in marginal temperature setups.  On the flip side, the system overall is coming in a little quicker on the modeling.  A little slower would be better to get more of the damming high and more low level cold air in place on the front side of the storm.  As currently modeled, it's another one of these mix or rain to snow type setups for many east of the mtns as the lowest levels are the last to cool (this would be the 3rd straight storm like that if it goes down that way - the one earlier this winter, and the one in Feb last winter). 

On a positive note, there has been some trending toward more western ridging and a more southerly track of the upper wave and associated sfc lows.  That has to continue in order to even keep us in the game here.  Long way out as you mention.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, griteater said:

Every little bit helps in marginal temperature setups.  On the flip side, the system overall is coming in a little quicker on the modeling.  A little slower would be better to get more of the damming high and more low level cold air in place on the front side of the storm.  As currently modeled, it's another one of these mix or rain to snow type setups for many east of the mtns as the lowest levels are the last to cool (this would be the 3rd straight storm like that if it goes down that way - the one earlier this winter, and the one in Feb last winter). 

On a positive note, there has been some trending toward more western ridging and a more southerly track of the upper wave and associated sfc lows.  That has to continue in order to even keep us in the game here.  Long way out as you mention.

A sped up system is not in our favor here. It’s January, I would take a daytime hit if that means the HP has time to get in place and deep cold air has time to arrive. Otherwise we’d burn through half the previous before snow could accumulate. Can’t get into specifics yet but the quicker progression is not a solid trend when we are banking on that strong Canadian hp to set up shop and begin to filter in cold air

14 minutes ago, griteater said:

Yeah, exactly. That's why I think eastern NC may be in a better spot for this one. When the low bombs off the coast the colder air has time to move in and they get snow. For us in the western/central NC the storm is going to take too long to cool off and switch over. My hope is it slows down.  With marginal temps, I don't trust clown maps at all. 

What does it take to start off as frozen and stay frozen? Last February was horrible in itself as it snowed for hours and hours, but due to warm surface temps, no accumulation. Surface and boundary temps are huge for me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, griteater said:

Here is the noted trend on the EPS

2rF6PEU.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Does look a bit faster on the trend but diving more south. Was in Ok panhandle.  Now in in se Ok.

In fairness, the Euro/EPS has been trending more toward the GFS/GEFS with the western ridging and h5 wave/vort track over the past 24 hours (the GFS/GEFS are like, "welcome to the party")....but who knows where we go from here

• Like 2

I think the SW being slightly more amped out west on these last two gfs runs is what may be trending the system slightly further north than 0z. HP looks to be slightly improved location and overall setup is excellent still. That surface low reflection where it bombs out will obviously make all the difference but this will not be a marginal temp ordeal in the snow area. It will be falling into the 20’s with that cold air source. I think for someone this will be a big dog 

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

I think the SW being slightly more amped out west on these last two gfs runs is what may be trending the system slightly further north than 0z. HP looks to be slightly improved location and overall setup is excellent still. That surface low reflection where it bombs out will obviously make all the difference but this will not be a marginal temp ordeal in the snow area. It will be falling into the 20’s with that cold air source. I think for someone this will be a big dog 

Yep. Look at that gradient. 2" at the airport, 8" at my house and 12" at TDF in Timberlake. 

Just now, ILMRoss said:

Kinda hated the look on the GFS, looked warmer on a wholesale level in our area and the ridge out west wasn't as robust. 

Yep, need more blocking for sure. Feels like this year there either isn't enough blocking or the storm hardly develops at all, to where there isn't even really any legit thread the needle opportunities.