Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

On 1/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, SnowDawg said:

This was a nice call. GFS immediately delivered a big dog fantasy run within just a few hours lol.

And then, just like that, things turned back around lol.  At least we don't have a super consolidated PV.  However, the problem seems to remain with the Pacific. The NAO has helped suppress the storm track somewhat, but we can't seem to get a buildup of truly cold air to get transported into the SE.  The LR looks like a mess right now, if you're looking for a real shot at a big SE winter storm, unfortunately.

Of course, the other day, things looked to be trending better.  Guess that was a false start and things could look to turn around again in a couple of days.

The thing I tend to look at and weigh heavily when looking at LR model data is seasonal trends.  The trends so far have been for a rare -NAO to be a stable feature and for the Pacific to remain unhelpful, regardless of what the models show beyond D10.  Until we see a deviation from those things make it to within a few days of happening, it's probably best to just expect more of the same. 

• Like 4

I remember maybe 15 years or so ago, that we had a similar setup where everything was aligned except for the PNA.  And...... we were getting a similar result as we have now.  When we got to the end of winter, we heard "if it wasn't for the pacific crashing into the west coast and running straight across the country, we would have been set.  I also remember a couple of time when several of the indexes were bad (NAO included), but we had a very strong PNA - the results were we didn't have any sustained cold, but we had chances with timing and eaked out normal snowfall for the season (thought it didn't stay around for more than a couple of days).  History tells me that anyone that harps on the need to have a -NAO but is blind to the state of the PNA needs to be taken out behind the woodshed.  

Here's to hoping we score big at some point.

TW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Judah Cohen:  I believe that I have a reputation as one who hypes the #cold & #snow so here is a tweet for those who like their winters mild, not wild. Last night's GFS says "PV, shmevee!" i.e., despite the #PolarVortex's antics no meaningful cold for North America into the foreseeable future. https://t.co/sZ9U1PRc0m

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Judah Cohen:  I believe that I have a reputation as one who hypes the #cold & #snow so here is a tweet for those who like their winters mild, not wild. Last night's GFS says "PV, shmevee!" i.e., despite the #PolarVortex's antics no meaningful cold for North America into the foreseeable future. https://t.co/sZ9U1PRc0m

To be fair, his rep is more that he is just not a good forecaster and his indexes generally provide little value.

2 hours ago, burrel2 said:

Pna trumps all other indices for us and it couldn’t be in worse throughout the long range. 

MJO drives it.  In many cases (depending on what you what to see happen) it's the kabal force measure on how these indices will behave.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

MJO drives it.  In many cases (depending on what you what to see happen) it's the kabal force measure on how these indices will behave.

You are spot on 

On Friday the MJO gave signs the implied pattern was going to unravel 

Yes it is very disappointing however it has been a great run of winter since 11/29 in western NC with 41 days of general snow cover above 4500’ and already 60” this season in places.  Far better than last year 

• Like 1

Just now, BullCityWx said:

I’ve seen storms that go backward like that before. If I had to guess, it would be less ZR than depicted.

This would be a first for me since moving down here in  June 2016 for storms to move in a reverse direction than normal.  I would hope it is less, that is a ton of ZR.  Reminds me a little of the Dec 2008 Ice storm we had when I was in NH. Crippling the region for weeks.

But back to the topic, Im glad at least the Euro and CMC have a storm still on their radar. Even though it favors the RIC-SHD corridor it still has us in the game at 192 hours out

4 minutes ago, Avdave said:

This would be a first for me since moving down here in  June 2016 for storms to move in a reverse direction than normal.  I would hope it is less, that is a ton of ZR.  Reminds me a little of the Dec 2008 Ice storm we had when I was in NH. Crippling the region for weeks.

But back to the topic, Im glad at least the Euro and CMC have a storm still on their radar. Even though it favors the RIC-SHD corridor it still has us in the game at 192 hours out

Probably more sleet here than zr given that setup. I’d expect more ZR down toward the border counties. That’s how it has traditionally gone. 

2 minutes ago, Avdave said:

To match it to the Ptype map above, depending on what the 850s will be, I took a peak at them and it looks like the 850s will be around 1-2 above freezing. so this could be some decent ZR here with a 30* surface temp. 

I think honestly it'd be more sleet with what I saw. the 925 temps for MBY were around -6. 

• Like 1