• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2021 Medium/Longterm Pattern Discussion.

AMZ8990

12z Euro looked like a reasonable chance for much E TN for storm one - not a huge snow, but 2-3" for valley locations and much higher on the Plateau and Smokies.  Tough sometimes to decide if higher elevation amounts skew the lower elevations between the mountains and Plateau.  Storm one is much more of a slider with backside snow.  Storm two was basically snow turning to rain with WAA and a perfect track - highly doubt that happens with HP sitting over the top.  Would likey be ice if that switched over from snow.  

5 hours ago, tnweathernut said:

I think we'd all like to see the traditional GFS go progressive and further SE for storm 2.  At least when we see this we know the usual correction is coming...

Now THAT (18z gfs) is right where we want it for several more days.. east across the northern gulf then northeast through far south GA and off the east coast. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Now THAT (18z gfs) is right where we want it for several more days.. east across the northern gulf then northeast through far south GA and off the east coast. 

Well for my area and most of west and middle tn I don't understand why we would want it to go further south. With the 2nd storm the track is good for west and middle on the euro, why would we want it to go south. I know this is east tn primary forum but for most of tennessee that southern track looks to far south to me. Unless you are talking about east tn and north carolina then it may need to go south. Upon further reading I see your taking in the nw trend, I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowmaker said:

Well for my area and most of west and middle tn I don't understand why we would want it to go further south. With the 2nd storm the track is good for west and middle on the euro, why would we want it to go south. I know this is east tn primary forum but for most of tennessee that southern track looks to far south to me. Unless you are talking about east tn and north carolina then it may need to go south. Upon further reading I see your taking in the nw trend, I think.

Exactly.  If it shows something good over you from 5-6 days out then you are likely out of luck.  Where it is at 18z is likely good for our entire forum...

As currently modeled on the Euro, I have some downslope concerns for parts of East TN (particularly for my area) but that could change over the next couple days depending on the strength and position of the low at 850mb. It's not too bad, just something to keep an eye on. I do like that a bit of an inverted trough is showing up along the mountains leading up to the heaviest precipitation on the Euro. That can help in multiple ways.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic