• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 29-Jan 2 potential storm event

Brian D

Briefly went outside to see if there was any melting/if it would be safe enough to take a drive down to the gas station. Like others have reported - decent rippage. Also hearing some fairly loud cracking in the wooded half of my property. Wondering if the added weight is starting to do its work on some of the weaker/damaged large limbs now. 

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

It's about 6" or so.  Even before today you could walk over the snow and not break through the crust and sink, that's how hard the top layer is.  I'd imagine it's even more impenetrable now with today's freezing rain and sleet.  

we picked up about 1/3" of sleet again this afternoon.  Not far from 2" of sleet in the past week.  Snowing pretty hard right now, looks like a good dusting so far.  Nice band moving through.

Wow, a 6" glacier will be good as we start the coldest 2 months of the year. Outside a true torch, your golden. The snowcover fan in me is jealous. We've had no problem getting snow, but not since 2018 have we had a good snowcover season. What's your season total at? If i remember it was pretty much autumn snow, snowless Christmas season, and now glacier week?

8 minutes ago, KeenerWx said:

Briefly went outside to see if there was any melting/if it would be safe enough to take a drive down to the gas station. Like others have reported - decent rippage. Also hearing some fairly loud cracking in the wooded half of my property. Wondering if the added weight is starting to do its work on some of the weaker/damaged large limbs now. 

Did you get your power back?  Mine flickered a little while ago for the first time.

Snow finally ended. Probably got 3in. It's a very heavy wet snow which is just weighing down the branches which were already stressed with ice. You can hear trees moaning and screeching and branches crashing down. Transformers are starting to blow. Been seeing power flashes and corresponding booms. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Hoosier said:

Did you get your power back?  Mine flickered a little while ago for the first time.

Yeah it was restored ~5 hours after it went out. Have been dealing with some intermittent short outages throughout the evening. Though the snow does look amazing, I'm pretty happy it will end soon. Feeling like we're playing too close to the edge with trees & lines. Have ~45 trees in my "yard" and much more in the wooded half. Would rather avoid a big clean-up effort. :lol:

15 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Wow, a 6" glacier will be good as we start the coldest 2 months of the year. Outside a true torch, your golden. The snowcover fan in me is jealous. We've had no problem getting snow, but not since 2018 have we had a good snowcover season. What's your season total at? If i remember it was pretty much autumn snow, snowless Christmas season, and now glacier week?

Its hard enough to get a legit snowstorm in detroit. Even harder to get a snowstorm with a decent snowcover preceding it. Its seems more often than not, snowcover melts before we can add on. Ive been living in naples florida since nov 1st. Glad Ive missed all our dusters so far. Looks like it was mostly snow earlier today north of 696, where most was supposed to be a mix. Unfortunately dry air snuck in and the dryslot zoomed north quickly before more than 2 inches could accumulate. Looks like a bust in SW MI in regards to icing the models were potentially showing there. Hopefully soon we can get a forum wide, organized, strong storm to deliver heavy snow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KeenerWx said:

Yeah it was restored ~5 hours after it went out. Have been dealing with some intermittent short outages throughout the evening. Though the snow does look amazing, I'm pretty happy it will end soon. Feeling like we're playing too close to the edge with trees & lines. Have ~45 trees in my "yard" and much more in the wooded half. Would rather avoid a big clean-up effort. :lol:

If the meltoff is minimal tomorrow, there may be renewed concerns depending what the Sat night/Sun system does.  Hopefully that stuff would be a little higher ratio than this.

This storm really overachieved up here in my area in northern lower Michigan this evening, we’ve picked up 7” since it started around 6:00. Crazy heavy snow for few hours, just light snow falling now though. Local point n click still have us at 1”! How in the heck can they be this far off? Just looking at the radar and what was moving our way pretty much anyone could have seen we would have got more then 1”. Going to make for some great snowmobiling tomorrow!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yeah this glacier is def gonna have staying power.  For snow with today's half inch we're at 6.8" for the season.  If I counted sleet as snow like the NWS does we'd be at 8.6".

35 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Snow finally ended. Probably got 3in. It's a very heavy wet snow which is just weighing down the branches which were already stressed with ice. You can hear trees moaning and screeching and branches crashing down. Transformers are starting to blow. Been seeing power flashes and corresponding booms. 

Glad to see you guys over-perform down there.  Here's to more of those in coming weeks. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Glad to see you guys over-perform down there.  Here's to more of those in coming weeks. :thumbsup:

Amen to this! Lol. Nice to finally join the club of good winter storms. Looks like we get colder again after a brief torch. Hopefully that comes with some storms for us all! Spread the wealth! 

• Like 1

Based on reports and photos, it looks like there was a band of a quarter to a third of an inch of ice in the LOT cwa, mainly south of I-80.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
731 PM CST FRI JAN 1 2021

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0600 PM     FREEZING RAIN    VALPARAISO AIRPORT      41.45N 87.00W
01/01/2021  M0.31 INCH       PORTER             IN   ASOS

ADDITIONAL 0.04 INCHES OF ICE ACCUMULATION
            IN THE AFTERNOON. TOTAL UP TO 0.31 INCHES.
            10 HOUR TOTAL.

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Its hard enough to get a legit snowstorm in detroit. Even harder to get a snowstorm with a decent snowcover preceding it. Its seems more often than not, snowcover melts before we can add on. Ive been living in naples florida since nov 1st. Glad Ive missed all our dusters so far. Looks like it was mostly snow earlier today north of 696, where most was supposed to be a mix. Unfortunately dry air snuck in and the dryslot zoomed north quickly before more than 2 inches could accumulate. Looks like a bust in SW MI in regards to icing the models were potentially showing there. Hopefully soon we can get a forum wide, organized, strong storm to deliver heavy snow.

13-14 (king of all), 14-15 (finally a 17" storm), 17-18 were good for snow on snow. You're in naples permanently or just for winter? You would have enjoyed the Christmas snow on the east side. Pattern going forward definitely has potential.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah this glacier is def gonna have staying power.  For snow with today's half inch we're at 6.8" for the season.  If I counted sleet as snow like the NWS does we'd be at 8.6".

Oh so everything is mostly this week. I forget which climate site you're closest to (DVN?). lol I've had twice that and almost nothing on the ground. Yes NWS counts sleet (and technically hail) as snow. 

its miserable here. cold rain. the ice has melted off the trees but the thin layer of sleet remains on the ground. Idk for sure but I think the ice storm was a fail in most of MI. I actually expected a cold rain due to east wind off the lake, but it was mostly ice and sleet. and as has been pointed out the northern burbs of Detroit saw some snow. so not sure anyone had real ice storm problems here. Let's see what wave 3 does tmrw night. 

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

Drove through that after work when it was further SW near Kzoo. Legit rippage. 94 was a mess. Worst night-time drive since chasing the 3/5/12 big dog in NWMI

It was legit rippage :snowing:

After finally feeling better after New Years I was bored and just felt like taking a drive. Was worth it

9 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

13-14 (king of all), 14-15 (finally a 17" storm), 17-18 were good for snow on snow. You're in naples permanently or just for winter? You would have enjoyed the Christmas snow on the east side. Pattern going forward definitely has potential.

Yea my coworker back home is a huge snowlover and told me all about the christmas snow. Think my house got around 4 inches that day, although it took like 20 hours to get 4 inches. First Christmas in awhile that had decent accumulating snow. Just down here in florida for the winter. Since we suck at legit snowstorms, i figured i wouldn't miss a thing. Not one thunderstorm down here since ive been here lol. Maybe its me? Hopefully y'all can get surprised tomorrow and some banding can setup, ala feb 5, 2011. Ill always remember that storm. Mother nature felt sorry for us about GHD I going NW last minute and threw us a bone. Models had the feb 5 wave tracking down through Kentucky but somehow detroit reeled it in the last 48 hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yea my coworker back home is a huge snowlover and told me all about the christmas snow. Think my house got around 4 inches that day, although it took like 20 hours to get 4 inches. First Christmas in awhile that had decent accumulating snow. Just down here in florida for the winter. Since we suck at legit snowstorms, i figured i wouldn't miss a thing. Not one thunderstorm down here since ive been here lol. Maybe its me? Hopefully y'all can get surprised tomorrow and some banding can setup, ala feb 5, 2011. Ill always remember that storm. Mother nature felt sorry for us about GHD I going NW last minute and threw us a bone. Models had the feb 5 wave tracking down through Kentucky but somehow detroit reeled it in the last 48 hours. 

4 inches sounds about right. There was a heavy band in the afternoon that dropped an inch in less than an hour, otherwise it was a lighter snow globe all day. Christmas 2017 was better Actually, but this was more of a surprise and snow fell all day Christmas. actually, every snow event this season has been east side (Macomb, Wayne, monroe) special. Yesterday was the first time nw burbs had more snow than se burbs. but not a single tstorm in Florida in 2 months!?:ocan definitely tell you're more about storms over winter as a whole...florida winter would be my nightmare. :lol:

33 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

My 2 day snow total is 3.8" with 2.5" coming last night. Not bad. We've had snow on the ground since Christmas eve. Our longest stretch so far lol. 

Surprised your bigger storms didn't last longer. But its definitely been that kind of winter so far. Better to have had and lost than not had at all though lol.

Nov 22- 1.7", lasted 1 day

Dec 1- 4.3", lasted 3-4 days

Dec 17- 3.1", lasted 3- 4 days 

Dec 25- 3.6", lasted 3-4 days

• Like 1