Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 29-Jan 2 potential storm event

Brian D

3 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Everything encased in ice here. Started as some pretty heavy sleet this morning, then went to freezing rain about 8:30. Trees are creaking with every movement of the wind. Temp is 31˚ at mi casa currently. Actually got a real weather station now, lol.

Even with probably getting to or a bit above freezing this afternoon...tomorrow is going to suck. Alas, hoping for a little snow here as this thing exits stage right. 

Thankfully it's a federal holiday, right?  :P

...And now the 18Z HRRR is showing I get an inch later this afternoon. First run that I have noticed where I actually got any measurable snow. It's just a slight shift to the NW from previous runs. If it comes true then NAM will have performed better in my area than RGEM/Canadian which had everything staying farther SE.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosier said:

Scattered power outages starting to roll in in northwest IN.  Numbers are pretty small overall but most affected area looks to be in the zone from central/southern Lake and Porter counties.

We've been out for over 2 hours here in northern Jasper county. 

Went outside and there's definitely not any current dripping of the icicles from the trees and power lines.  There were some decent gusts while I was outside so that would've blown anything watery.  

Still in nuisance territory with the amount of accretion here but wouldn't take much more to start causing some concern, especially if not much melts and we bring in some wet snow later.

• Like 1

This would have been a great storm with any semblance of a cold antecedent airmass. Oh well.
I get back to the city tomorrow after being on the east coast so maybe we can muster an inch of mood dust with tomorrow nights “event”
At 6 a.m. it was 18 degrees.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Up to 32° per my weather station. The glaze on my truck and Jeep is melting rapidly. Don’t see much in the way of that happening on the trees as of now but at 32° and daylight and WAA, I suspect it will begin melting on the trees as well. Lots of run-off. Slushy pavement. Wind is picking up. 

One word. Dank. 

• Like 1

Tricky/marginal to say the least.  Most of northwest Indiana has held tough with temps at freezing.
lol at Rockford
chi_sfc.gif.419d77eae608b174299847900adae727.gif
Yeah clearly something wrong with RFD. I think we're going to have the electronics technicians go up there to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your good local reports Hoosier.  As I look west out of my apartment window here in Griffith I concur with your observations.  Am hoping that we luck out up here and not have concerns with wind and power outages like southern parts of the area are now reporting.  Never had an accident in snow but have had one due to freezing rain a couple years ago down in Indpls.    I see many reports of quarter to .3 inch of ice across central IL.

16 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Thanks for all your good local reports Hoosier.  As I look west out of my apartment window here in Griffith I concur with your observations.  Am hoping that we luck out up here and not have concerns with wind and power outages like southern parts of the area are now reporting.  Never had an accident in snow but have had one due to freezing rain a couple years ago down in Indpls.    I see many reports of quarter to .3 inch of ice across central IL.

Over 10k outages now in that swath south of us.  Fairly respectable number considering it's mostly a bunch of small towns or rural areas.