Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 29-Jan 2 potential storm event

Brian D

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Will be curious to see if the offices hit the ice threat harder in the overnight discussions.  Most guidance (except the NAM and GFS) is suggestive of a band of around 0.25-0.50" ice accretion in MO/IL and into IN/MI.  Devil is in the details of course.  Do precip rates get too high and hurt accretion more than what the FRAM output suggests?

I'm curious of this myself. I think most areas will go WWA and upgrade to ice storm warning if need be

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Yea nam is the most north guidance and an outlier at this point

May be more N in Iowa, but wrt snow swath it's further south in the Mitt. Could be having thermal issues in a different direction with this wave. Although, 12z Ukie had snow south like this too so NAM's not alone today.

So as an example of how minor details can have an impact, take a look around Lafayette, IN at 16z Friday.  The HRRR has a temp around 29 as heavier precip swings through.  If that is right, that makes a difference.  But for all we know, it could end up being 31 or 32 when the heavier precip comes through.

HRRRNIL_sfc_temp_034.png.b7ca3aa0b807305297372fc926be1058.png

HRRRNIL_prec_ptype_034.png.3097aae317787d9a2fcbeae6b8e3426d.png

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

So as an example of how minor details can have an impact, take a look around Lafayette, IN at 16z Friday.  The HRRR has a temp around 29 as heavier precip swings through.  If that is right, that makes a difference.  But for all we know, it could end up being 31 or 32 when the heavier precip comes through.

HRRRNIL_sfc_temp_034.png.b7ca3aa0b807305297372fc926be1058.png

HRRRNIL_prec_ptype_034.png.3097aae317787d9a2fcbeae6b8e3426d.png

Icing events are so finicky and a nightmare to forecast. Such a delicate balance of temperatures. A little colder could mean more sleet. A little warmer rain. 

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

RAP and HRRR probably have the most sig overall solutions.

Think they're trustworthy with low level thermals? They keep temps at or below freezing the whole event whereas GFS, Nam are bringing us above freezing by 18z. Current HRRR run is several degrees too cold on current temps and doesn't even bring me to 27 which I'm already at. RAP also looks to be running too cold. 

29 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Think they're trustworthy with low level thermals? They keep temps at or below freezing the whole event whereas GFS, Nam are bringing us above freezing by 18z. Current HRRR run is several degrees too cold on current temps and doesn't even bring me to 27 which I'm already at. RAP also looks to be running too cold. 

More important to see where you're at overnight tonight.

Interesting how the NAM and GFS are still less bullish on ice overall.  The differences are laughable in some places.  But the preponderance of evidence points toward a band of 0.25-0.50" of ice (possibly a fairly wide one), and I'd certainly lean toward the idea of a band of 0.25-0.50"

We'll see what the Euro shows shortly.