Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 29-Jan 2 potential storm event

Brian D

33 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

12Z soundings from DVN and ILX do show the incredibly dry air from ~650 to 900 mb. Dewpoints below -50C in that layer are among the lowest ever observed in both locations.

1481486479_ScreenShot2020-12-29at8_21_46AM.png.e9ce1789a15c14be2767e2231db7b0d2.png1333002135_ScreenShot2020-12-29at8_22_06AM.png.5d1996c966da835e7fae4c6fe28ee921.png

I knew it was going to be bad but wow that's brutal. However WAA is strong so I feel it will still occur decently quick after stronger returns get overhead. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownSnow said:

What does this insinuate?  taking longer to saturate atmosphere, lower than expected QPF?  colder than depicted? 

I'm just pointing out with actual observed data rather than a model that the dry air is very real and significant. The initial forcing will be wasted in moistening that layer, the top down saturation others have mentioned is why we go from flurries to heavy snow in short order. No reason the Chicago area will not see a 2-3 hour period of heavy snow this evening. 

The SPC has a nice sounding climatology page that shows how dry the air over IL was this morning at 12Z compared to the past.

1399021125_ScreenShot2020-12-29at9_46_47AM.thumb.png.7d3a05cf191db917d555f44aa049e27f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

What else is new?

I seemed to recall an event last winter or the one before that was supposed to be our biggest of the winter and modeled/warning criteria totals were killed by dry air at the outset.

We’re going to moisten up pretty rapidly this afternoon and go gangbusters for a few hours 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tuanis said:

NAM continues to depict a quick inch or two of snow/sleet slop for the northern tier of counties and even into southern WI before a flip to freezing rain and rain. Are we just discounting that solution? Certainly not unprecedented.

NAM is often far better with lower level thermals than other guidance, but it is a northern outlier with the sleet/freezing rain.

That said, the 12Z HREF (ensemble of hi-res SPC models) shows the mixing getting up to a Janesville-to-Milwaukee line overnight. 

We'll have a better idea of how the mixing line is trending in a few hours.

9 minutes ago, kevlon62 said:

I'll get the yardstick out on the deck. But going by "official" there is always a somewhat heavier obs report out of Bull Valley that seems to often take the local microclimate cake.

We'll see if they are back in action this winter. I'll say even 8.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yardstick?.  Let's start with one of those plastic 6-in rulers first :)

4 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

It's 100% on its own. I think we can toss it

Not quite sure to toss it just yet since we all know what happened on 2/11/19.  All the models severely underdid the WAA and as a result southeast Iowa and much of northern Illinois got a major ice storm instead of several inches of snow.  Just my take on it.

In other news, 12z UKMET has wave two southeast of 0z and slower.

NAM is often far better with lower level thermals than other guidance, but it is a northern outlier with the sleet/freezing rain.
That said, the 12Z HREF (ensemble of hi-res SPC models) shows the mixing getting up to a Janesville-to-Milwaukee line overnight. 
We'll have a better idea of how the mixing line is trending in a few hours.

The mixing issue is just one of many issues it has. Being overly dry and well too far north on placement of the heaviest QPF are also big issues.

The NAM is a complete toss, and that’s an understatement.

2 minutes ago, Natester said:

Not quite sure to toss it just yet since we all know what happened on 2/11/19.  All the models severely underdid the WAA and as a result southeast Iowa and much of northern Illinois got a major ice storm instead of several inches of snow.  Just my take on it.

Every storm is unique though and has unique scenarios. IMHO, i think we tend to associate storms with the outliers that we remember from the past too often.

• Like 1