• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 24-25, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast primarily 6PM/24-10AM/25

wdrag

The most rain would be in upslope areas in NY/NJ that typically do well in SSE flow events like this. Otherwise I wouldn’t expect more than 2” in any particular place. Main story from this would be winds-which are kicking up here in Long Beach. Having an eggnog and paying a vigil to the few remaining snow piles. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Hanging on to the last patches of snow in north Lynbrook. Very apparent now that significantly more frozen precip occurred here then at my Dads in south wantagh.

Winds are still pedestrian. Going to do a drive to the beach during peak winds 

So I’m not the only one staying awake nice 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nycsnow said:

So I’m not the only one staying awake nice 

It’s not often you can stand in 40-50 sustained gusts in the 60s (70?) right on the beach front. I have done it a few times, the last being March 2010. I was at work on the uws during Isaias and sandy was too dangerous to get near a beach. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s not often you can stand in 40-50 sustained gusts in the 60s (70?) right on the beach front. I have done it a few times, the last being March 2010. I was at work on the uws during Isaias and sandy was too dangerous to get near a beach. 

I was at the beach during Isaias.  The sand blasting I received was brutal and it was tough to stand.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Per weatherwiz in NE forum it’s more likely something funky is happening with that radar. Observations/ground truths I’ve seen don’t match appearances 

Agreed, you can see it on RadarScope that the one radar, KDOX, is funky down there making it look much worse. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Id say so 

inxr1kdovs.gif

Yeah definitely no way we have 75 DBz+ echoes happening at the moment. That’d have to be indicative of some seriously incredible rain rates  which again, don’t match ground truths.

I have seen this occur before when looking over some radar imagery in the Desert Southwest—indicative of a bad radar algorithm. Here was an example from this past summer. At this point in time the areas shown here were high and dry without any precipitation occurring.

FB72A0BF-7013-45F6-A082-D1FAF5958D90.png

• Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic