Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

Gfs doing the meteorologically impossible driving a cutter into this look 99b8b2e00ca94f725243172bae9cc569.jpg

I doubt anything cuts there. But out airmass at that point is still pretty abysmal. It’s going to take a couple waves and cold air drainage in the NW flow behind them to fix that.  I remember a similar situation to this early in several blocking regimes that started with pac puke airmasses. Specifically I remember an exact clone to this discussion in early January 2016 when long range guidance hinted at a cutter...and we had this same exact exchange, and it ended up not cutting but was still rain. Because of the general warmth the primary hung on too long (not had there been cold but too long when we have a crap airmass) and it ended up a big old rainstorm anyways with a pretty good track. I could see that here.  I agree with Wxusaf that we could luck into something with a perfect track. It’s not impossible. That block will likely keep us close and tease us. But until we get some cold into the east (probably around the 15-20th) it’s not going to be a high probability imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, yoda said:

Looks like the GFS is going to show a fantastic fantasy snowstorm at the end of its run looking at h5 at 300

Yep. It has a sick NNE bomb before that which is the last wave of many that finally ushers in some cold. We have a stationary west based block and some transient rushing. This is a weenie run for the LR. Wish it was day 7 and not what it is lol

I doubt anything cuts there. But out airmass at that point is still pretty abysmal. It’s going to take a couple waves and cold air drainage in the NW flow behind them to fix that.  I remember a similar situation to this early in several blocking regimes that started with pac puke airmasses. Specifically I remember an exact clone to this discussion in early January 2016 when long range guidance hinted at a cutter...and we had this same exact exchange, and it ended up not cutting but was still rain. Because of the general warmth the primary hung on too long (not had there been cold but too long when we have a crap airmass) and it ended up a big old rainstorm anyways with a pretty good track. I could see that here.  I agree with Wxusaf that we could luck into something with a perfect track. It’s not impossible. That block will likely keep us close and tease us. But until we get some cold into the east (probably around the 15-20th) it’s not going to be a high probability imo. 
Dude it snowed 15 days ago and I had snow-cover for a week. It hasn't been a warm winter. Its been a poor storm track winter

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Looks like it phased or neg tilts just a tad too early at the end of the GFS... but it was enticing

The storm in front slides east instead of north which opens a crack for that to cut. Still I doubt it cuts to that extreme in reality. That was odd. And it’s 14 days away so I wouldn’t worry at all. In 6 hours we get a different solution. 

1 minute ago, Ji said:
13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Dude it snowed 15 days ago and I had snow-cover for a week. It hasn't been a warm winter. Its been a poor storm track winter

I’m not talking about December. I’m talking about what’s coming. That 920 mb vortex cruising into the Bering is about to flood us with pac puke. That’s going to take some time to recover from.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

The storm in front slides east instead of north which opens a crack for that to cut. Still I doubt it cuts to that extreme in reality. That was odd. And it’s 14 days away so I wouldn’t worry at all. In 6 hours we get a different solution. 

Def not worrying... that system is probably going to be our first chance for snow again in the new pattern hopefully

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Well at least we’re all on the same page now! I like the progression of the west coast. And the extreme events up in the Aleutian/AK makes me feel that an extreme (hopefully) ku solution is a possibly even in a neutral/Nina-light background. I know the ku scenario has virtually nothing to do with crazy strength of storms rolling up in the northern lats, but still, very interesting 

24 minutes ago, frd said:

That was one extreme wave 1 event. 

Pretty cool. This is interesting 

The overnight D10 EPS pretty clearly answers the “just high heights” or a true ridge in the NAO domain. It’s the later. And as Webb showed, the EPS is also lessening the torch temps underneath that block. Something to watch going forward. Still makes things needle threaders, but maybe a bit more give available for the Jan 7-15 timeframe?

• Like 10

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic