• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

Great thread. Worth a read. Way more to.it than what I posted. 

A tradition of sorts: to take the ECMWF zonal wind anomaly charts during a SSW and show the zero-line descend through the stratosphere.

Embedded video
GIF

**correction, that is not a zonal wind anomaly but mean zonal 

Replying to
the mean zero-wind line determines the level at which future waves break (RW can only upwell through westerly flow) and deposit their easterly momentum. The descent in this one seems quicker than usual, but I do not have numbers to back that up.

Replying to
JRA-55 SSWE compendium composite shows the zonal wind reversal propagating from the stratopause to ~20mb in a matter of 3 days (ish) during major sudden warming. Looks about right to me

thanks for the composite, and your conclusion is probably right, but that doesn't show the zero-line reaching the 50-100mb depth, probably from event smoothing.

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro much colder for the ice threat late week . Caving to the Para for Sundays threat . Great to be tracking multiple threats . I've been busy today but this place is deado.

It actually even turns here over to snow Thursday morning (“Wave 1”) and has a legit freezing rain event on NYD for “Wave 2”.  Trending way more interesting for the far NW/mountain areas.  

Some day models will abandon their microscopic approach to day 5+ and take a broader approach to things. Some wave 500 miles off the Pacific coast is Impossible to predict where it will end up for the east. If you don’t think so then how do we time after time after time end up with projections  that show a low off SC coast, then over DC that then actually ends up in western Great Lakes?  ALL the time and more often then not. The ensembles themselves show Exactly what models are really all about-show 32 solutions one of which may hit. To me the Only fun in weather for many years now is making obs during the event. The ups and downs and twists and turns of model watching is bullshit for this so called science. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Meh, but the pacific isn’t perfect so we’ll probably waste it.  We need a perfect look!!!!!!! :violin:

No...from what the knowledgeable posters have said on here...doesn't have to be PERFECT...but just not hostile. (I think PSU said something to the effect of...when other things are great all an opposing factor has to be is mediocre and we can still make things work)

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

No...from what the knowledgeable posters have said on here...doesn't have to be PERFECT...but just not hostile. (I think PSU said something to the effect of...when other things are great all an opposing factor has to be is mediocre and we can still make things work)

I was being sarcastic.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, thunderman said:

Canadian is definitely the most bullish right now.  Verbatim, would be a significant ice event for western zones.

Nice comparison, thanks for posting.  Euro went colder and took a step towards the CMC albeit not as aggressive like you said.  It’s interesting how this system keeps evolving from what it looked like a day or two ago.  

LWX mentioned that in their disco earlier this morning - continuing evolving guidance gives them low confidence in their forecast right now.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic