• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

The 0z GEFS has the eastern half of the US awash in mild temps from Jan 5 on. At the very end of the run, the trough near AK weakens/retrogrades. Also at the end of the run, there is a perfect Davis Strait block. I guess we keep watching to see if these ideas are legit.

I think I have seen enough of the NE PAC trough/PAC jet extension combo though. It's a Pacific puke machine. The jet isn't likely going anywhere, so that trough needs to relax/retrograde. Again we see hints of that towards the end of recent ensemble runs, but it seems to stay stuck in that timeframe.

Meanwhile, something could still pop up between now and early Jan, possibly the (potential)event following the NYE heavy rain event. Seems to be a bit of a window there. Lots of moving parts, but not a lot of cold around. 

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s good news. I can’t get to any of the 6z members yet but many of the members from 0z were interesting in that time frame

The 0z GEFS had a few members suggesting a wave/changeover to snow on the back end of the New Years storm. Kind of bled into the following period. 6z looks like a cleaner signal to me for that window.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Nice to see storms tracking near/south of us for a change on an op run, even if they are rain lol. It must have finally "seen" the blocking!

Its like going out to a fancy ice cream parlor with your date to get their gourmet homemade ice cream in their handmade waffle cones. You place your order but you only receive the waffle cone....no ice cream. And the cashier just acts like oh well, maybe next time.

Pattern and storm track in prime climo minus the most important ingredient (cold air) stinks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

minus the most important ingredient (cold air) stinks.

Only this year,  and in this new warmer background state, does a deep - AO and -NAO produce no significant snowfall for us. 

Source region concerns continue, and even though the +EAMT events are helping with the -NAO they are also bringing in copious warmth to Alaska . At our latitude we need perfection and it is just not there.  The fast flow  and uncooperative Pac is over-powering the - AO and -NAO. How long this lasts is still uncertain , but hopefully by mid month the Pac changes up a bit.    

At the moment the really cold air is in Asia, as you have  read about the very strong high pressure areas there.  

tenday.gif

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Feel free to spend some time with exhausted recycled arguments in the climate change sub forum 

The funny thing is is that I wasnt even sure what that guy was talking about until you jumped in to talk about climate change.. it is such a tiring dead end/ frustrating topic..

I suspected that this is what he was referring too.. and I wanted to point out that it really has no bearing on our chances for snow/ snowstorms... 

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 3

57 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

A SSW the first 5 days of January would translate to local effects the last week of January IF it couples to the troposphere and IF our side of the planet sees the impact

This stuff is fun to discuss, especially when the perception is that the longwave pattern isn't evolving as hoped/as fast, but it's difficult to predict whether the effects will be net positive, negative, or anything impactful at all. The SPV could take the hit and then quickly rebound.

34 minutes ago, CAPE said:

This stuff is fun to discuss, especially when the perception is that the longwave pattern isn't evolving as hoped/as fast, but it's difficult to predict whether the effects will be net positive, negative, or anything impactful at all. The SPV could take the hit and then quickly rebound.

So what you're saying is it might snow or it might not and it could get cold or it might not or it could be transient and do all of those things or it might just be warm wet cold dry or warm wall to wall or cold throughout? Let me know if I missed anything 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

So what you're saying is it might snow or it might not and it could get cold or it might not or it could be transient and do all of those things or it might just be warm wet cold dry or warm wall to wall or cold throughout? Let me know if I missed anything 

We just can’t know

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

People pay more attention to the esoteric voodoo shit when the LR pattern doesn't look so good.

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic