• Member Statistics

    16,545
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    ampongabezo
    Newest Member
    ampongabezo
    Joined
WinterWxLuvr

Christmas Eve Mega Front Disco/Obs

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, chris21 said:

The November 1995 cold front is the one that stands out the most for me in Bethesda. I remember high winds, thunder and a dramatic temp drop with 1.5 inches of paste. It was early November (the 8th maybe), I actually lost power for the night.

I think it was a Saturday night. Walked outside from a party to find 2 inches on the ground and snow winding down. Totally unexpected and was like wtf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yoda said:

I'd be more concerned about the flash freeze potential IMO

I feel like that happens as much as cold chasing precipitation. Seems like the strong dry NW wind always dries the roads before it's able to freeze. Regardless.. at least this front will be interesting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

I think it was a Saturday night. Walked outside from a party to find 2 inches on the ground and snow winding down. Totally unexpected and was like wtf.

I was trying to remember when this storm was. I went into a Caps game in Landover in a warm rainstorm.  When we came out, everyone was freezing and we couldn’t find our car on the parking lot. That was a really memorable day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I feel like that happens as much as cold chasing precipitation. Seems like the strong dry NW wind always dries the roads before it's able to freeze. Regardless.. at least this front will be interesting.

True... but with the snowmelt and 2 inches of rain... probably better chance than usual

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Is there a good link for that other than NCEP?

weather.cod.edu is good as a free option. 

Has a 3-4" mean total snow for the northern Shenandoah Valley/81 corridor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the front comes through around midnight or 0100h, TRW+ 60/59 followed by about a half hour of rain showers turning to ice pellet showers then snow, each lasting a few minutes, temps within an hour or two 30 deg, falling further to 20 by morning, flash freeze conditions turning untreated side roads into icy disaster areas, clear blue skies by sunrise, snappy cold WNW winds 30G50, wind chills around 8-10 F. No temperature rise on 25th, falling further in the evening to around 10 F. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

3knam ups the ante on rain ending as snow showers early Xmas morning. 

12k has slowed the cold push. Not what I wanted to see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

Also remember a frontal passage in November 1995 that dropped some accumulating snow behind the front when I was living in College Park.  Dramatic temperature drop that day also.

I recall this perfectly, at my parents for dinner in Clinton, Md and had a tree fall on my ‘84 Blazer, incredible front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Meso's trying to hit the back end snow more HRRR has some little max near St. Mary's and Calvert counties, unless I'm missing something.

Yea...southern Md lollie with heavy snow squalls Friday Afternoon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, chris21 said:

The November 1995 cold front is the one that stands out the most for me in Bethesda. I remember high winds, thunder and a dramatic temp drop with 1.5 inches of paste. It was early November (the 8th maybe), I actually lost power for the night.

I was in Potomac, MD, for the event. It was on 11/11/95, and like you, I lost power. We lost power during the severe thunderstorm part of the event pre front clearance, but power came back during the snow. 2” accumulated where I was. 

3/8/05 was another such type of frontal passage where a Severe Thunderstorm Warning preceded a rapid change to snow that covered the grass.  

2/14/15 was the ultimate flash freeze frontal passage, but wasn’t preceded by actual severe weather. 

We do much better with the ENE oriented strong cold front passages with the following wave. Those have been WSW events for us. Just in March, we saw those events 3/8/96, 3/3/14, 3/5/15, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

I was in Potomac, MD, for the event. It was on 11/11/95, and like you, I lost power. We lost power during the severe thunderstorm part of the event pre front clearance, but power came back during the snow. 2” accumulated where I was. 

3/8/05 was another such type of frontal passage where a Severe Thunderstorm Warning preceded a rapid change to snow that covered the grass.  

2/14/15 was the ultimate flash freeze frontal passage, but wasn’t preceded by actual severe weather. 

We do much better with the ENE oriented strong cold front passages with the following wave. Those have been WSW events for us. Just in March, we saw those events 3/8/96, 3/3/14, 3/5/15, etc. 

Another strong front that produced rapidly falling temps and a quick 2-3 hour period of snow resulting in a couple inches occurred March 1995. Can't remember exact date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

When the front comes through around midnight or 0100h, TRW+ 60/59 followed by about a half hour of rain showers turning to ice pellet showers then snow, each lasting a few minutes, temps within an hour or two 30 deg, falling further to 20 by morning, flash freeze conditions turning untreated side roads into icy disaster areas, clear blue skies by sunrise, snappy cold WNW winds 30G50, wind chills around 8-10 F. No temperature rise on 25th, falling further in the evening to around 10 F. 

         I lost track trying to count the number of incorrect details in this post.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HighStakes said:

I think it was a Saturday night. Walked outside from a party to find 2 inches on the ground and snow winding down. Totally unexpected and was like wtf.

Definitely was a Saturday. I played in a soccer tournament that day when it was 60 degrees and that evening got 3” of snow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yoda said:

True... but with the snowmelt and 2 inches of rain... probably better chance than usual

Yep, LWX mentioned flash freeze in their morning headline today for areas west of I-81.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

00z GFS has the band of snow showers running south of DC from OC/Rehoboth to Dale City-ish on Christmas Day.

Wonder if that’s where they originate or where they end up on that time stamp.  Seems odd to just form there.  Maybe it’s not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nj2va said:

00z GFS has the band of snow showers running south of DC from OC/Rehoboth to Dale City-ish on Christmas Day.

I used to be City-ish ....now I'm Redneck- ish. It took a while but it happens. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.