Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Christmas Eve Mega Front Disco/Obs

WinterWxLuvr

7 minutes ago, chris21 said:

There was a flash freeze with the last storm.

My temp never got above 32.  I just went from SN to ZR...to me a flash freeze is winter warlock blowing over my yard and it’s frozen.  We shall see but this is way better than last year when I think it was 65. 

14 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

My temp never got above 32.  I just went from SN to ZR...to me a flash freeze is winter warlock blowing over my yard and it’s frozen.  We shall see but this is way better than last year when I think it was 65. 

Good point there. I’m in DC and we got up to 35. The CAD holding on until a frontal passage is a much more common way to get a “flash freeze” then this upcoming situation. Have seen a few flash freezes after 60 degree days when I lived near snowshoe but very few in dc.

Still leaning strongly towards most of the best action being with narrow convective band along the front with the intense linear forcing and weak instability and then the snow showers ahead of the big mid-level vort during the day tomorrow. Post-frontal stuff will probably get shut down early by that enormous mid-level dry slot. It nearly always underperforms. The saving grace here is intense mid-level CAA ( <-20C temps at 700mb ) and good DPVA which allows for a great environment for snow showers. The tropopause height legit drops to 700mb with surface temps near freezing. Hard to find a much better environment for nice little mini-blizzard-like snow showers east of the mountains.

• Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Breezy overcast. Still almost no rain in Annapolis, as of noon.

Agrees with radar.

Doesn't look like we're going to be in the max precipitation area for the first time since July. Kind of a bust here. Doesn't look like we get anything for at least a couple more hours.

35 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

How nice of WPC to use Christmas colors. This makes the 50 and rain worth it.

Its a natural law that we have the crappiiest weather imaginable each and every Christmas.   

Complain about 65F and sunny??  Well then, I give you 50s and flooding rains .... and then I will give you miserable wind and the cold that you needed several hours earlier.

Light rain currently.  Foggy and gross.

Merry Christmas. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic