Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Christmas eve cold front

olafminesaw

22 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

And no hint from RAH.  I’m guessing it’ll be 2” or snow with nothing to show for it.

Yeah, I'm quickly leaning into the doubter camp here looking at the current radar.  That freezing line got held up in the mountains just long enough to let the moisture escape.  It looked good for a while though. 

If we get anything frozen I'm starting to think it will be from the banding showing up in TN, maybe swinging thru the piedmont before daybreak.  I think I'll get some flakes tonight on camera at the farm in Stuart, just not here in the triad.  

Edit - front is knocking on the door in Stuart.  Just dropped 2° in 10 minutes.  Game on.

Just now, kvegas-wx said:

Yeah, I'm quickly leaning into the doubter camp here looking at the current radar.  That freezing line got held up in the mountains just long enough to let the moisture escape.  It looked good for a while though. 

If we get anything frozen I'm starting to think it will be from the banding showing up in TN, maybe swinging thru the piedmont before daybreak.  I think I'll get some flakes tonight on camera at the farm in Stuart, just not here in the triad.  

Yea I wouldn't hold my breath, here near Marion just off the mountain we had 30 minutes of sleet and a little snow but no accumulation

52.7 here in Colfax for the last 4 hours or so.  Hrrr showing about an inch by 1 am.  I'm a doubter but seeing how rare snow is on Christmas, I'm compelled to stay up for it.  I have to leave at 6:15 in the morning to take my daughter (nicu nurse) to Cone for work.  Hopefully we see something.  

TW

7 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Looking at wind speeds I'd say its right around Bermuda Run on I40 and Huntsville on 421.  Comin' in hot! (Er, cold!)

Edit - I had a delayed read on my temp gauge in Stuart.  Down to 42° now.  Dropped 13° in less than 30 minutes.

The HRRR is still bullish for some flakes in a couple of hours.  I’m still at 56 and have been since late afternoon.  There’s still some QPF upstream.

3 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

The HRRR is still bullish for some flakes in a couple of hours.  I’m still at 56 and have been since late afternoon.  There’s still some QPF upstream.

Temp just fell out here in Kernersville.  Front is coming thru.  Dropped 6° in minutes.  49° now and windy.

My Lord!  Down another 8° in just minutes!!  41° now!!