Total Members
    Most Online
    friday
    Newest Member
    friday

Winter 2020-2021 whining thread

49 minutes ago, CentralNC said:

Yes but don't put MAJOR in the title!

I knew it was a serious risk yet I did it anyway... sigh. At least I busted up an ice storm and not a snow event 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, models were ALL trending towards significant icing, RAH and Blacksburg were sounding the alarm, multiple model suites were putting out ludicrous ice totals, and the major globals were all in agreement of a major CAD area ice storm.... INSIDE 48 hours. Literally how do you forecast weather this year when everything trends towards agreement essentially to game time, then drops it 12 hours before the event. Models all warmed starting at 12z yesterday but warning were already out. I mean how do you work with that? Hot 850’s, anomalously hot, did this in, imo, as did a precip hole over the main cad region 

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

Well, models were ALL trending towards significant icing, RAH and Blacksburg were sounding the alarm, multiple model suites were putting out ludicrous ice totals, and the major globals were all in agreement of a major CAD area ice storm.... INSIDE 48 hours. Literally how do you forecast weather this year when everything trends towards agreement essentially to game time, then drops it 12 hours before the event. Models all warmed starting at 12z yesterday but warning were already out. I mean how do you work with that? Hot 850’s, anomalously hot, did this in, imo, as did a precip hole over the main cad region 

Don’t beat yourself up. If I would have been in that area I would have thought major ice storm . If you guys north of here can’t score then I’ve got no hope.  

Every winter day, I question why I still keep up with this hobby

It has been 804 days since we have had a snowfall where I could shovel snow from my driveway 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Every winter day, I question why I still keep up with this hobby

It has been 804 days since we have had a snowfall where I could shovel snow from my driveway 

Same here. It was 12” but still...

December 2018 here. To be fair, we scored huge just NW of the mixing line (gotta be close enough to smell the pingers!) and I walked with 14 inches but it was three friggin winters ago!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CentralNC said:

I think it's on to next winter.  It just ain't happenin this winter.  Hopefully we have all learned a lesson about these models this year.

Just 286 days until the next meteorological winter.  :cory:

Y’all promise me that we’ll all stick around and post severe weather and tropical cyclone obs.  Maybe I’ll start a spring/summer lawn and garden thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avdave said:

We will get our snow this year, Mark it on your calendars, Fen 29-30 2021 we will have our snowstorm 

Manifest it Dave :wub:

26 minutes ago, CentralNC said:

I think it's on to next winter.  It just ain't happenin this year.  Hopefully we have all learned a lesson about these models this year.

You’ve met all us weenies right? :P 

16 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Just 286 days until the next meteorological winter.  :cory:

Y’all promise me that we’ll all stick around and post severe weather and tropical cyclone obs.  Maybe I’ll start a spring/summer lawn and garden thread.

Yasssss! I’m really looking forward to trying my luck with my first garden in the upstate.  ^_^  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Yasssss! I’m really looking forward to trying my luck with my first garden in the upstate.  ^_^  

I’ll get on that.  It’s getting almost time to start prepping.  We have some nice temps coming up soon.

• Like 1

Does anyone know anything About Harrisonburg VA? I’m possibly moving there or Cumberland MD by end of Summer. Ik it won’t be as difficult to see snow there but Scientifically like here We need so much to have an actual snow event. It’s gotta be as simple as hey it’s Cold.... here comes QPF oh hell welp congrats snow! In that area I’d imagine. Anyway didn’t know if anyone had and scientific support to it

17 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Does anyone know anything About Harrisonburg VA? I’m possibly moving there or Cumberland MD by end of Summer. Ik it won’t be as difficult to see snow there but Scientifically like here We need so much to have an actual snow event. It’s gotta be as simple as hey it’s Cold.... here comes QPF oh hell welp congrats snow! In that area I’d imagine. Anyway didn’t know if anyone had and scientific support to it

Harrisonburg receives an average of about 24 inches of snow per year, similar to Philly. It can snow there from November to April.  In cold periods, snowcover can last for a couple of weeks, and snow on snow is not rare.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

You’ll jackpot often on there if you get up in the Mountains west of town.  Cumberland/Deep Creek area would get more than Harrisonburg.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, that part would be cool but it looks like a sleepy place. I’ve grown up in CLT metro basically my entire life (Concord / Speedway area) now LKN. I’m a city guy lol I moved to Mt Ulla/Salisbury area after my first marriage in 13’ until 18’ I hated it , so rural nothing around. Idk I’m sure it will be a life adjustment if it happens  

48 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Thanks, that part would be cool but it looks like a sleepy place. I’ve grown up in CLT metro basically my entire life (Concord / Speedway area) now LKN. I’m a city guy lol I moved to Mt Ulla/Salisbury area after my first marriage in 13’ until 18’ I hated it , so rural nothing around. Idk I’m sure it will be a life adjustment if it happens  

Like most of southwest Virginia, It’s very isolated and economically depressed. 

19 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

You’re supposed to be whining .:axe:

Don’t worry I will be, I’m positive I will move to Mid-Atlantic or somewhere with an avg 35-40” per year and take my Panthers/NC State luck with me and NC will get slapped with Jan 1988 Redux year after year :lol: