Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021 whining thread

BullCityWx

12 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Lived in both cities. 

Cumberland: Depressed Economy.  Drugs are rampant in the city.  Not much going on there.  Lives on tourism with the Western Maryland RR and the Canal path.  ITs a very outdoorsy area. Walmart was the last biggest thing to happen there in 1993. Now they have a Lowe's building supply too.  Food is mediocre for choices there.  Comfortable summers and winter there. You are in a lower elevation so for LES you will have to drive 8 miles west to Frostburg.  LaVale is the commercial area for the region with stores and restaurants.  It is scenic with the mountains though. I dont miss living there though minus Frostburg and Garret County. 

Harrisonburg:  A growing area for sure. A major college town with James Madison Univ there. IT has exploded over the last 15 years though. Traffic is becoming an issue on 33 and 81 and 11. Downtown is nice with a variety of shops and restaurants. The major commercial area is along 33, east of the city off I 81. You have plenty of choices there to choose from.  Medical is pretty good there with Sentara being the main provider Re: hospitals, etc.  Tourism is a major draw there with the Skyline Drive and Shenandoah Natl Park about 30 mins away. Massanutten Resort is a big draw for year round recreation. For big city, DC is about 2 hours to 2.5 hours away.

Dang, that doesn’t sound very exciting at all I can’t lie lol ik nothing about anything N of Roanoke/Lynchburg except Manassas VA and that’s only how to get from Terminal to the Hotel from going up there with Norfolk Southern the past 4 years as a Conductor so not like I saw much.  

1 hour ago, PantherJustin said:

Dang, that doesn’t sound very exciting at all I can’t lie lol ik nothing about anything N of Roanoke/Lynchburg except Manassas VA and that’s only how to get from Terminal to the Hotel from going up there with Norfolk Southern the past 4 years as a Conductor so not like I saw much.  

Harrisonburg is a great place. Waaayyyy better than Cumberland.  Harrisonburg is more prosporous with a lot more things to do. Its a younger age in the city with the college there.  I liked it there a lot an my mom and dad lived just south in the small hamlet of Weyers Cave.  It does decent with snowfall there too.  It can get warm but you get a lot of afternoon T storms there with the terrain to the west  helping them develop.  

Cumberland is plain boring. I think they have lost a lot pf population over the last 20 years.  I would avoid it at all costs.   

• Thanks 1

Switch to CSX?

1 hour ago, btownheel said:

Switch to CSX?

No last Jan I was put out of service for a derailment in Greensboro (Pomona) off Oakland Ave by Coliseum. We get paid “Hit n Run insurance if we’re put out of Service until our case goes before union board 9-12 months later. Covid happened in March last year and step Kids were at Home for School and My now Wife  just finished School and we decided it was best for me to stay with them and her work and me find something else to do. I would go back but they were bought out by Hunter Harrison and they’ve sliced 100 jobs or so and shut our “Hump Terminal” (Linwood) down so my seniority went in the tank. I went from having a Cushy Lynchburg Pool job (Mostly 4-6hr days and UPS/FedEx Intermodal trains that have priority Step on In Linwood take it from Atlanta Crew and go to Lynchburg and step off give it to Hagerstown crew) to the extra board where they can call you 24/7 for literally anything. .... so I quit. Now I’m about to finish real estate school lol 

2 hours ago, PantherJustin said:

No last Jan I was put out of service for a derailment in Greensboro (Pomona) off Oakland Ave by Coliseum. We get paid “Hit n Run insurance if we’re put out of Service until our case goes before union board 9-12 months later. Covid happened in March last year and step Kids were at Home for School and My now Wife  just finished School and we decided it was best for me to stay with them and her work and me find something else to do. I would go back but they were bought out by Hunter Harrison and they’ve sliced 100 jobs or so and shut our “Hump Terminal” (Linwood) down so my seniority went in the tank. I went from having a Cushy Lynchburg Pool job (Mostly 4-6hr days and UPS/FedEx Intermodal trains that have priority Step on In Linwood take it from Atlanta Crew and go to Lynchburg and step off give it to Hagerstown crew) to the extra board where they can call you 24/7 for literally anything. .... so I quit. Now I’m about to finish real estate school lol 

Hang in there Justin!

• Thanks 1

Not sure if it helps but the last time most of middle TN saw anything past 1.5/2" was Jonas (January 22-23, 2016). Our wait for anything beyond an anklebiter was over 5 years. December 2017/December 2018 had winter storms pass to our south and east. Those times were rough (though not nearly as bad as the Nashville snowdome winter of 2013-14; I'll let you fellow weenies do some digging on that). Anywho...you guys will be back on the board again. I would bet $ next winter or 2022-23.

40 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Not sure if it helps but the last time most of middle TN saw anything past 1.5/2" was Jonas (January 22-23, 2016). Our wait for anything beyond an anklebiter was over 5 years. December 2017/December 2018 had winter storms pass to our south and east. Those times were rough (though not nearly as bad as the Nashville snowdome winter of 2013-14; I'll let you fellow weenies do some digging on that). Anywho...you guys will be back on the board again. I would bet $ next winter or 2022-23.

Pffffffffftttttttttttttt........those couple of years weren’t nearly as rough as 1 snowfall in 12 years where the snow line would always set up 25 miles to my north, west and east :P  Throw a drought in there too with *hottest temps ever* for a few continuous years. My son was 2 before he experienced his first thunderstorm. Hands down the worst decade I have ever experienced while living in sc. I really expected a lot more from this winter and I’m extremely disappointed, but I do have to say that for the first time in a few years, this has been more of a normal winter than the past couple. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad half the forum has had winter opportunities and the mountain peeps are also doing well. I’m just pouting about mby getting absolutely nada  <_< :weep:
BTW.....congrats again to the MTS/NC/VA peeps as you track another opportunity next week and mby has another 33 degree rain :lol: :raining:

6 hours ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Pffffffffftttttttttttttt........those couple of years weren’t nearly as rough as 1 snowfall in 12 years where the snow line would always set up 25 miles to my north, west and east :P  Throw a drought in there too with *hottest temps ever* for a few continuous years. My son was 2 before he experienced his first thunderstorm. Hands down the worst decade I have ever experienced while living in sc. I really expected a lot more from this winter and I’m extremely disappointed, but I do have to say that for the first time in a few years, this has been more of a normal winter than the past couple. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad half the forum has had winter opportunities and the mountain peeps are also doing well. I’m just pouting about mby getting absolutely nada  <_< :weep:
BTW.....congrats again to the MTS/NC/VA peeps as you track another opportunity next week and mby has another 33 degree rain :lol: :raining:

Oh dont worry chelle. We are leaving for the Golden Isles Friday, If im not home, it will def snow here and Ill miss it. :lol:

36 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Oh dont worry chelle. We are leaving for the Golden Isles Friday, If im not home, it will def snow here and Ill miss it. :lol:

You’ll love it! Brunswick and the barrier islands of St. Simons Island, Sea Island, Little St. Simons Island and Jekyll Island are so beautiful! The lovers tree, avenue of oaks, the lighthouse and the fort is a must see. There’s a really good rum distillery called Richland Rum there too :ph34r: oh......one more thing......bring me back some shrimp  :lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

You’ll love it! Brunswick and the barrier islands of St. Simons Island, Sea Island, Little St. Simons Island and Jekyll Island are so beautiful! The lovers tree, avenue of oaks, the lighthouse and the fort is a must see. There’s a really good rum distillery called Richland Rum there too :ph34r: oh......one more thing......bring me back some shrimp  :lol:

oooohhhh you know all about it, sweet. Thanks for the ideas, I had some written down.   One day we are going to Folkston, GA to hike around the Okefenokoee Swamp and take a boat ride too.  Arrive Friday in SSI and leave Monday morning.  Jenna needs a change of scenery than the triangle of NC lol

25 minutes ago, Avdave said:

oooohhhh you know all about it, sweet. Thanks for the ideas, I had some written down.   One day we are going to Folkston, GA to hike around the Okefenokoee Swamp and take a boat ride too.  Arrive Friday in SSI and leave Monday morning.  Jenna needs a change of scenery than the triangle of NC lol

The boat ride at the swamp is awesome! Watch for the bears and bobcats while hiking. It’s the perfect time to see them. I look forward to seeing your pictures :wub:

3 hours ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

The snow-covered Acropolis adds insult to injury 

WINTER WONDERLAND: Snow covered Athens and other parts of Greece amid a cold front. https://t.co/nQgngXMGdl https://t.co/rTMcAi7jEE

I was there in 2019.  (Fantastic food.)  As warm as it was then, I can’t imagine it covered in snow.

11B1410C-CAD7-4EEE-9F5E-4B72EA963B76.jpeg

1E36B120-A762-43BD-A4DF-8128176EE91B.jpeg

• Like 1

Well fellas, I'm not forecasted to get below freezing again on the 16 day so I have officially thrown the towel on winter this year. Getting (appreciable) winter weather after March 10th has only happened a couple of times in my lifetime. I'll wait to give my official winter grade till April (I know everyone is waiting with bated breath). The mountains may still do well but I think it's about over for my area.

11 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Well fellas, I'm not forecasted to get below freezing again on the 16 day so I have officially thrown the towel on winter this year. Getting (appreciable) winter weather after March 10th has only happened a couple of times in my lifetime. I'll wait to give my official winter grade till April (I know everyone is waiting with bated breath). The mountains may still do well but I think it's about over for my area.

It is a D- here.

Just now, eyewall said:

It is a D- here.

F for me. One overnight snow you had to stay up till 3 am to enjoy and was gone by noon the next day then a million threats that faded as we got into the 2 day range all the while epic cold invaded the southern plains and it snowed multiple Times down to the gulf coast. And, to add insult to injury, we finally had the -NAO and blocking we’ve missed 3 winters in a row during peak winter and couldn’t score. Cold, blocking, and near constant storms from the southern jet and we couldn’t score. That’s an F in my book. I know it was a normal winter temp wise but that’s all we got out of it in Raleigh. Happy for the mountains but that didn’t translate East of there 

• Like 1

My winter is certainly below average, but not a complete failure.  I measured 3.75” of snow over four light events (1.75”, 0.75”, 0.75”, 0.50”) and 0.50” of ice between two events (0.30”, 0.20”).  Better than last winter, but what stinks this year was the potential that was never really met.  We hear often about the players on the field, but all my players were nursing injuries.  Cold was only marginally cold.  Precip could never get its timing right.

Grade (unless this winter turns in an extra credit assignment):  D+