• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021 whining thread

BullCityWx

Well, models were ALL trending towards significant icing, RAH and Blacksburg were sounding the alarm, multiple model suites were putting out ludicrous ice totals, and the major globals were all in agreement of a major CAD area ice storm.... INSIDE 48 hours. Literally how do you forecast weather this year when everything trends towards agreement essentially to game time, then drops it 12 hours before the event. Models all warmed starting at 12z yesterday but warning were already out. I mean how do you work with that? Hot 850’s, anomalously hot, did this in, imo, as did a precip hole over the main cad region 

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

Well, models were ALL trending towards significant icing, RAH and Blacksburg were sounding the alarm, multiple model suites were putting out ludicrous ice totals, and the major globals were all in agreement of a major CAD area ice storm.... INSIDE 48 hours. Literally how do you forecast weather this year when everything trends towards agreement essentially to game time, then drops it 12 hours before the event. Models all warmed starting at 12z yesterday but warning were already out. I mean how do you work with that? Hot 850’s, anomalously hot, did this in, imo, as did a precip hole over the main cad region 

Don’t beat yourself up. If I would have been in that area I would have thought major ice storm . If you guys north of here can’t score then I’ve got no hope.  

1 minute ago, CentralNC said:

I think it's on to next winter.  It just ain't happenin this winter.  Hopefully we have all learned a lesson about these models this year.

Just 286 days until the next meteorological winter.  :cory:

Y’all promise me that we’ll all stick around and post severe weather and tropical cyclone obs.  Maybe I’ll start a spring/summer lawn and garden thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avdave said:

We will get our snow this year, Mark it on your calendars, Fen 29-30 2021 we will have our snowstorm 

Manifest it Dave :wub:

26 minutes ago, CentralNC said:

I think it's on to next winter.  It just ain't happenin this year.  Hopefully we have all learned a lesson about these models this year.

You’ve met all us weenies right? :P 

16 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Just 286 days until the next meteorological winter.  :cory:

Y’all promise me that we’ll all stick around and post severe weather and tropical cyclone obs.  Maybe I’ll start a spring/summer lawn and garden thread.

Yasssss! I’m really looking forward to trying my luck with my first garden in the upstate.  ^_^  

• Like 1

Does anyone know anything About Harrisonburg VA? I’m possibly moving there or Cumberland MD by end of Summer. Ik it won’t be as difficult to see snow there but Scientifically like here We need so much to have an actual snow event. It’s gotta be as simple as hey it’s Cold.... here comes QPF oh hell welp congrats snow! In that area I’d imagine. Anyway didn’t know if anyone had and scientific support to it

17 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Does anyone know anything About Harrisonburg VA? I’m possibly moving there or Cumberland MD by end of Summer. Ik it won’t be as difficult to see snow there but Scientifically like here We need so much to have an actual snow event. It’s gotta be as simple as hey it’s Cold.... here comes QPF oh hell welp congrats snow! In that area I’d imagine. Anyway didn’t know if anyone had and scientific support to it

Harrisonburg receives an average of about 24 inches of snow per year, similar to Philly. It can snow there from November to April.  In cold periods, snowcover can last for a couple of weeks, and snow on snow is not rare.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

You’ll jackpot often on there if you get up in the Mountains west of town.  Cumberland/Deep Creek area would get more than Harrisonburg.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, that part would be cool but it looks like a sleepy place. I’ve grown up in CLT metro basically my entire life (Concord / Speedway area) now LKN. I’m a city guy lol I moved to Mt Ulla/Salisbury area after my first marriage in 13’ until 18’ I hated it , so rural nothing around. Idk I’m sure it will be a life adjustment if it happens  

48 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Thanks, that part would be cool but it looks like a sleepy place. I’ve grown up in CLT metro basically my entire life (Concord / Speedway area) now LKN. I’m a city guy lol I moved to Mt Ulla/Salisbury area after my first marriage in 13’ until 18’ I hated it , so rural nothing around. Idk I’m sure it will be a life adjustment if it happens  

Like most of southwest Virginia, It’s very isolated and economically depressed. 

1 hour ago, PantherJustin said:

Lived in both cities. 

Cumberland: Depressed Economy.  Drugs are rampant in the city.  Not much going on there.  Lives on tourism with the Western Maryland RR and the Canal path.  ITs a very outdoorsy area. Walmart was the last biggest thing to happen there in 1993. Now they have a Lowe's building supply too.  Food is mediocre for choices there.  Comfortable summers and winter there. You are in a lower elevation so for LES you will have to drive 8 miles west to Frostburg.  LaVale is the commercial area for the region with stores and restaurants.  It is scenic with the mountains though. I dont miss living there though minus Frostburg and Garret County. 

Harrisonburg:  A growing area for sure. A major college town with James Madison Univ there. IT has exploded over the last 15 years though. Traffic is becoming an issue on 33 and 81 and 11. Downtown is nice with a variety of shops and restaurants. The major commercial area is along 33, east of the city off I 81. You have plenty of choices there to choose from.  Medical is pretty good there with Sentara being the main provider Re: hospitals, etc.  Tourism is a major draw there with the Skyline Drive and Shenandoah Natl Park about 30 mins away. Massanutten Resort is a big draw for year round recreation. For big city, DC is about 2 hours to 2.5 hours away.

• Like 1