Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021 whining thread

BullCityWx

3 hours ago, Dunkman said:

Built up frustration? I haven’t had more than a glorified dusting since 2018. It sucks.

Exactly. I haven't had snow on the ground since 2018. Its almost 2021! That's ridiculous. And the 1st half of January looks like shit. And after that La Nina doesn't exactly scream a backloaded winter.

Just now, magpiemaniac said:

To the mid-Atlantic’s forum’s credit, they have chatter going even when the pattern sucks.  We clam up and go silent.  Maybe we’re all out doing yard work.

That is because of the SouthernWX forum which is like Parler for weather enthusiasts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

To the mid-Atlantic’s forum’s credit, they have chatter going even when the pattern sucks.  We clam up and go silent.  Maybe we’re all out doing yard work.

52 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

I tend to be fiercely loyal, so I haven’t even started an account over there.  Quality over quantity I suppose.  Not that I’m personally involved in quality mind you.

Speaking of forums, Where did you guys take the hockey disco since the 'Canes shut their board down?

5 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Yep, I’m convinced Raleigh zeroes out on snow this year 

Since moving from Chattanooga to Greensboro in 2005, I’ve never been shutout here.  (Chattanooga was a different story.)  I’ve always ended up with at least a little something and several winters were pretty nice for snow lovers here.  Last winter was the closest I came to zeroing right up until that March mini-snow.  I’m holding out for a couple of late January to mid-February 3” snows.  We’re due.

Eh we have plenty of 2 week periods that look bad for snow, at least this one has some promise on the horizon. I know there's often a metaphorical carrot dangling in front of us with the projected pattern, but I can't help but get excited because this is a BIG carrot. SSW event with a -NAO, +PNA and no southeast ridge is a blockbuster pattern.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FamouslyHot said:

Eh we have plenty of 2 week periods that look bad for snow, at least this one has some promise on the horizon. I know there's often a metaphorical carrot dangling in front of us with the projected pattern, but I can't help but get excited because this is a BIG carrot. SSW event with a -NAO, +PNA and no southeast ridge is a blockbuster pattern.

A blockbuster pattern for many, maybe. For Columbia ? Probably not.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bryan63 said:

There's a discussion around the Canes on the Raleigh-Durham City-Data forum. Not very active at the moment but I imagine it'll pick up as the season starts. 

Thanks for the tip.  Much appreciated.

I think our crappy winter is all my fault, folks.  It started last winter with my buying a whole-house generator.  Then I topped off the propane tank to start this season.  Then I bought a new weather station.  It’s been a Zzzzzzzzzzzzz snooze fest around here ever since.  Boring as can be.  If I can get rid of the generator, burn through the propane, and stop model watching, I’m pretty sure that we can land a decent snow for all of us.  I’m sorry.  I just need to be unprepared.

1 hour ago, Snownado said:

A blockbuster pattern for many, maybe. For Columbia ? Probably not.

Well that is likely very true. 

I have had to adjust my thinking about winter.  A cold fall is not cutting my grass in December.  A cold winter is pulling the heavy coat out of the closet for 3 days in a row.  Winter weather is a cold rain and a frosty windshield the next morning.  Getting snow is like putting a fresh pair of jeans on and finding $20 in the pocket you didn't know you had.  Doesn't happen often, you didn't get much, it will be gone before you know it, but it made your day anyway.  When our crappy winters get me down, I just drink a glass of bourbon and enjoy not cutting the lawn that week.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

People here in the upstate (outside the forum) are starting to talk about getting snow. I'm not going to be the one to tell them it's not happening. Winter stinks out loud here. :(

It’ll be funny when we get a 60 page storm thread that devolves into observations including the terms “ripping” “fatties” then actually seeing pics of someone’s car topped and white trash cans and someone claiming they got an inch somewhere in the sub forum, ahh winter in the SE page:popcorn:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BullCityWx said:

Some of yall should really choose a new hobby. 

It’s the whiners thread. I live in the worst place for snow in NC. Rockingham. We always find ways, miss mostly north and west, then we miss East on coastal storms, then southern sliders to the south. I know I whine I whine lol