• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Nice to see an active northern hey on the GFS..Still way out there so we'll see.. With some luck and right timing we could hit a synoptic system as well but a good luck for the GLs..

977840058_c7697350-cdb7-469e-a0b4-eaef8b

There will be no lakes cutters in this pattern with the block . There will be cold air which will help your area.

• Like 1

LR really starting to take shape, that storm you show Wolfie was a big hit on the 6z this morning. I also believe after the 13th or so cutters will be replaced by clippers and even some southern suppression. What I’m reading in many of the other sites and blogs is this SSW is huge in terms of its magnitude and if it acts or behaves in a manner we (winter weenies) expect then the second half of January and most of February would be BN in the temp department. Snowfall is always a wild card and is much more difficult to predict 

• Like 2

suddenly something to track at least.  That was quick.  

I do worry about a wave of coastals with the upcoming pattern leaving interior in the screw zone, but miller Bs can happen in this pattern for sure.  

I was also wondering where the clippers are?  We need some bread and butter snows.  Those have been absent in recent memory...memory only, since they are inconsequential in the magnitude sense usually unless they re develop or in lake enhanced areas.  

• Like 2

Another day of snizzly, drizzly junk today. We went outside today for recess and my kiddos were complaining about how "cold" it was. It was "cold" because it's that damp, yuckiness. There are still snow piles everywhere, so I had to say, "Snow is off limits." Otherwise you have five kiddos crying because somebody threw ice balls at them. :P 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Another day of snizzly, drizzly junk today. We went outside today for recess and my kiddos were complaining about how "cold" it was. It was "cold" because it's that damp, yuckiness. There are still snow piles everywhere, so I had to say, "Snow is off limits." Otherwise you have five kiddos crying because somebody threw ice balls at them. :P 

Yeah...constant, very light snow has been the theme here in Caz., with temps steady near 32...trees holding the snow very well the last 2 days.

20210105_141138.jpg

• Like 3

I have never seen it so green and lush this time of year.  It's actually quite fascinating at this point.  The grass even seems to be slowly growing the tiniest bit.  We don't even have any residual snow piles anywhere aside from the largest parking lots.  It's like we live in a brand new climate, almost surreal.  

• Sad 1

Another interesting fact for this bizarre winter.  It has been anomalously cloudy.  The last day in Rochester that was considered "Mostly Sunny" was November 10!!  Almost 2 full months since we had a sunny day.  My one weather station that has no battery backup and relies solely on solar power has basically stopped working aside from the most barebone functions, pretty shitty timing for me to set that one up.  I honestly can't remember it ever being this cloudy for this long.  Just weeks and weeks of low clouds....and not a damn snowflake to show for it.  

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

Another interesting fact for this bizarre winter.  It has been anomalously cloudy.  The last day in Rochester that was considered "Mostly Sunny" was November 10!!  Almost 2 full months since we had a sunny day.  My one weather station that has no battery backup and relies solely on solar power has basically stopped working aside from the most barebone functions, pretty shitty timing for me to set that one up.  I honestly can't remember it ever being this cloudy for this long.  Just weeks and weeks of low clouds....and not a damn snowflake to show for it.  

Yes! That has been one of the most difficult parts! It's sooooo dark and cloudy....AND been brown much of the time. A snowy, bright landscape is such a mood lifter for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Yep, I just returned from Fayetteville...little snow otg, and definitely nothing on the trees. Amazing what 500' of elevation can do!

Did you happen to see my comment to you the other day? I was asking how winter compares/contrasts in Cazenovia to the Liverpool area (which I believe you lived before?) I had a job possibility in the Truxton area of Cortland county and then the Hamilton area when I was searching (I know Hamilton doesn't do as well snow-wise. I absolutely love Madison County though!

Pretty good article from a reputable source on the current climate change situation.  We are paying the price right now for decades of massive carbon releases....and I can't say I find any of it hard to believe with what we are seeing in our backyards and around the world.  

https://www.llnl.gov/news/paying-emissions-weve-already-released?fbclid=IwAR1MiYs7b-rz2TIYDQWu0op-rl6-rj8NjNs-MGHeduiKkUZq8EAx2nG1XGM

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I have never seen it so green and lush this time of year.  It's actually quite fascinating at this point.  The grass even seems to be slowly growing the tiniest bit.  We don't even have any residual snow piles anywhere aside from the largest parking lots.  It's like we live in a brand new climate, almost surreal.  

Glad you noted this. I was thinking the exact thing yesterday waking around the neighborhood, such green lawns for January. Bit ironic actually...we were bone dry and brown June through mid Sept. Green in January. Welcome to the British Isles. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Maybe this will cheer you up.

Taken today, those are my XC skis at the very bottom.

Wonderful conditions.

IMG_2113.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Did you happen to see my comment to you the other day? I was asking how winter compares/contrasts in Cazenovia to the Liverpool area (which I believe you lived before?) I had a job possibility in the Truxton area of Cortland county and then the Hamilton area when I was searching (I know Hamilton doesn't do as well snow-wise. I absolutely love Madison County though!

Well, elevation sure is a positive.. especially early and late in the season when temperatures are borderline..along with a closer proximity to coastal storms.  Caz certainly does decent with LES but being further away, means the wind direction needs to be a bit more precise.    My 12 or so years in Liverpool had some great events, But my short time here in Cazenovia (along with knowing the elevation advantage) I'd pick Caz over Liverpool....But neither comes close to my childhood and young adult life residence, Parish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Well, elevation sure is a positive.. especially early and late in the season when temperatures are borderline..along with a closer proximity to coastal storms.  Caz certainly does decent with LES but being further away, means the wind direction needs to be a bit more precise.    My 12 or so years in Liverpool had some great events, But my short time here in Cazenovia (along with knowing the elevation advantage) I'd pick Caz over Liverpool....But neither comes close to my childhood and young adult life residence, Parish.

Interesting on it being precise! I feel like the wind has to be precise just for us to get much here in NW Onondaga. But, then again, I haven't experienced a good clipper pattern or nice, cold pattern around here yet. I am assuming that's when winter truly rocks around here.

CAA5A8FE-A578-473A-A602-8893B9746307.thumb.jpeg.ac854077be51d05dbb13db6baa037387.jpeg

This graphic was used on Channel 9’s weather segment tonight. It shows the least snowiest winters through New Years Eve in Syracuse and the total snowfall for the entire winter. As you can see some winters with less snow than this year ended up with well over 100 inches. 65-66 had the Blizzard of ‘66 in late January and 06-07 had the “Winter in a Week” lake effect blitz in February. So don’t give up on winter yet. There’s still a long way to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3